Daggerfall Unity - Free on Steam and GOG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Daggerfall Unity works with the Steam version now and is free on GOG as well:

Daggerfall Unity - GOG Cut

This ambitious project, launched over a decade ago by Gavin "Interkarma" Clayton, is aiming to bring the unique experience of the classic open-world RPG game to a new generation of gamers. Thanks to the efforts of the GamerZakh, a gaming content creator with a love for classics, you can now enjoy a special GOG Cut of the Daggerfall Unity title.

All you have to do is download the game and simply launch it. The GOG Cut of Daggerfall Unity doesn't require any special actions or updates on your behalf. Thanks to settings and mods that were selected by GamerZakh you can explore the rich world of Daggerfall with enhanced visuals and gameplay.

However, please note that although we find the experience very enjoyable the work on the title is stil ongoing. Some technical issues might occur, so it's wise to quicksave often (F9) :D

If you're ready for a deep dive into the rich fantasy universe of the game, more titles from The Elder Scrolls series await your discovery on GOG!

Using Steam Release of Daggerfall with Daggerfall Unity - Updated!

The Steam release of Daggerfall has been updated and is now compatible with Daggerfall Unity "out of the box". This is great news for Daggerfall players of all preferences. Not only is the classic release on Steam now patched for a better experience, it's a free and convenient way to get the game files needed to run Daggerfall Unity.

These steps are for Windows only but you can adapt to another platform. You'll just need to copy over the files installed by Steam to your platform of choice after step 1. Alternatively use the DaggerfallGameFiles method for a curated copy of game files compatible on all platforms.

Step 1 - Install Daggerfall with Steam

Visit the Steam page below and install Daggerfall like you would any other Steam game.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1812390/The_Elder_Scrolls_II_Daggerfall/

Step 2 - Download Daggerfall Unity
If you haven't already, go to the Releases page and download latest version of Daggerfall Unity for your platform. Downloads are below the Assets foldout as shown.

When downloading for Windows, it is highly recommended to use the 64-bit version unless you have a very old PC that does not support 64-bit.

Unzip your download somewhere like C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.13.5. It is recommended to unzip into a folder matching the version downloaded.

Note: When updating Daggerfall Unity in future, unzip to a new folder matching new folder version. Never unzip a new version on top of an old version.

Double-click DaggerfallUnity.exe to run the game.

Step 3 - Set Correct Path
When prompted by Daggerfall Unity, navigate to your local The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall/DF/DAGGER folder installed by Steam. By default this will be in path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall\DF\DAGGER

Provided Steam version is up-to-date, the launcher window will turn green like below. If you are still missing .VID files, check that your Steam install is updated to latest version.

Press OK and continue to set your resolution.

Click Test then OK if you're happy with resolution setting.
Congratulations! You're now ready to play Daggerfall Unity.

Step 4 - Find Some Mods
Once you have everything setup, you might like to mod the game. The Daggerfall Unity Nexus page has hundreds of mods available ranging from graphical upgrades to new gameplay experiences.https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity

Step 5 - Get Some Help
If you get stuck installing the game or with gameplay in general, ask for help on the Forums or the Lysandus's Tomb Discord.
If you have issues with a mod, please ask question of the mod author first either on Nexus or their dedicated thread in Released Mods on forums.

Step 6 - Enjoy!
Thank you from everyone at Daggerfall Workshop. We hope you enjoy playing Daggerfall Unity!

More information.

Had DU on my PC for several years now; if you like the original game, it's well worth the effort!! :)

So… STEAM has Daggerfall vanilla for free and GOG has Daggerfall Unity for free.

So… STEAM has Daggerfall vanilla for free and GOG has Daggerfall Unity for free.

Not quite. The GoG one is an alternative version with a set of mods pre-installed not Vanilla DU. I do like the idea of the pre-packaged version though, saves a bit of time I guess and most people would have no idea on what mods they want.

The inclusion of the Quest Pack 1&2 mod is the only one that I would think carefully about whether I wanted them or not as they do make a significant difference to the functional experience i.e.

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/243

edit: oh and probably this one too:

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/16

It changes how weapons work etc.

Are there any mods not included with it that I should look at?

I tried it again after a year or so last night and man it was pretty fun to be honest...looks significantly different.

At night in the city the windows cast yellow illumination on the snow and trees outside. Nice music was playing, which sounded gorgeous on my Gravis Ultrasound 1MB card. I cast a levitation spell and flew up amidst the trees above the roofs. The wonderful Christmas fantasy illusion was complete.
In Daggerfall DOS.

At night in the city the windows cast yellow illumination on the snow and trees outside. Nice music was playing, which sounded gorgeous on my Gravis Ultrasound 1MB card. I cast a levitation spell and flew up amidst the trees above the roofs. The wonderful Christmas fantasy illusion was complete.
In Daggerfall DOS.

So our experience with GOG cut is supposedly to be great as well. Right?

Back
Top Bottom