Death Stranding Coming to PC

For the uninitiated:

This is an experimental game, and may not be everyone's cup of tea.
(=expect a thematically interesting idea, that ultimately fails to be fun in the classic videogame sense)

Otherwise it is classic Kojima, take it or leave it.
(= expect loooooooong cutscenes, that may make absolutely no sense, but look really cool).

Personally, this was a somewhat expected letdown for me.

Last edited:
Day one purchase for me, may pre-order if I can get a deal on it.

I agree, pretty much, with the previous statements. I did like its climate change message though, but a lot of it is heavy handed.

Day one purchase for me, may pre-order if I can get a deal on it.
You may try "PAYDAY20" code on GMG which can currently drop any price there -20%. Can't check it myself till I get back home (currently behind highly paranoic proxy).

A lot of game making work can be done at home, though maybe not as well. All the voice acting and motion capture is done so no hold-ups there. I wonder what other things might get slowed down? If the office isn't really set up for having everybody connect at once, that would certainly hurt.

Testing the port on different PC setups makes it complicated when you don't have anyone at the office to remove a GPU and put another instead for example. A tester can connect to the test pc remotely but can't be sure if potential stutters came from the game itself or are caused by a problematic internet connection or simply by the connection method. Communication, reporting problems and bugfixing has to be adapted to work from home - an employee can't just easily go pcname\c$ to anyone's PC and check logs or copy stuff.

Hmm…still not interested in this game though.:(

Not surprised really as its another Kojima production.

All I played form Kojima is the first Metal Gear Solid on the first Playstation. It was a good stealth/action game but I didn't much care about the story. I am, however, interested in HZD and if what joxer says about the system requirements is correct, that is great.

All I played form Kojima is the first Metal Gear Solid on the first Playstation. It was a good stealth/action game but I didn't much care about the story. I am, however, interested in HZD and if what joxer says about the system requirements is correct, that is great.
Horizon Zero Dawn interests me as well. The sequel was announced yesterday.

Horizon Zero Dawn interests me as well. The sequel was announced yesterday.

It is from that PS5 reveal, right? I missed that. Hopefully HZD proves profitable for them on PC so they bring the sequel to PC in the future. But that would be in 3-5 years at least.

Yes but yesterday's PS5 reveals had plenty of titles that aren't exclusives but will definetly appear on PC as noted in their trailers.

Here's one of those, using Luminuos Studio engine (the one behind FF15 that features hairworks on PC):

Yes but yesterday's PS5 reveals had plenty of titles that aren't exclusives but will definetly appear on PC as noted in their trailers.

Here's one of those, using Luminuos Studio engine (the one behind FF15 that features hairworks on PC):
Already shared on my news thread. It's Square Enix's next big game.
Watch a breathtaking first look at PROJECT ATHIA (working title), a thrilling story-led, action-packed adventure from our new studio, Luminous Productions. PROJECT ATHIA is the culmination of Luminous Productions’ philosophy to create a completely new and fresh gaming experiences that fuses together the latest technologies with art. Coming to both PlayStation 5 and PC, with PROJECT ATHIA you can look forward to being transported to a vast and detailed world filled with beauty and dismay.
Still in early development according to tweets and other articles.

A good reason to avoid it for a year or two...
Sounds like a plan to me!

I've been playing this for a while now. Definitely not close to done, but I've laid down some of pavement. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

It's a mighty different game, that's for sure. The basic loop is:
  1. Get packages to deliver to someplace new.
  2. Try to get to the new place. You'll have a map that you can rotate to give yourself some perspective on where the steep parts are. On the way there, you can use ladders and ropes to deal with the physical stuff in your way.
  3. There may also be enemies. The MULEs are one kind - essentially bandits that try to knock you out and steal your cargo. The others are more like ghosts. You get an indicator pointing to the nearest one and you can kinda seem them when standing still, but otherwise they are invisible. At the start of the game, there's nothing you can do about them other than try to sneak around them. Later on, you're given ways to deal with them (and MULEs) more easily.
  4. Around the ghosties, it's always raining and the rain that's around them degrades packages and some of your gear. This effectively gives you a time limit. It's not much of one, but it's enough that you'll need to keep moving. Searching all around for ghosts every time you take a step isn't an option, but you should have plenty of time to consider what you're doing. (Plus you can bring a spray to counter the effects of the rain. Of course, bringing those adds to your weight.)
  5. Once you get to your destination, you'll be able to put them on the network. When you do that, the game pulls in things that other players have built. Early in the game, that will just be a bunch of ladders, ropes, and a few other things.
You can keep doing deliveries to the various destinations. As you do, the destination will give you "likes". The more they like you, the more raw materials they make available. They could also give you access to new schematics. Or you could just keep following the story missions.

Sheesh, this post is already starting to get long, and I've barely scratched the surface. You get a little "RPGness" as you learn to build better gear, structures, and weapons so there is a sense of advancement. The way structures are shared between players could use a couple of big paragraphs.

Oh, and yeah - plenty of cutscenes, including a lot of little ones. If you want to rest, you get a 5 second cutscene of Sam going down an elevator, then a 3 second scene of his vehicle being put in the garage, then another few seconds of him lying down, then another few seconds of him getting up. Every one of them is skippable, and you'll certainly want to skip them after seeing them a few times.

Can't say I'm interested. I'd much rather have The Last of Us 1 & 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, or Days Gone.
Can't you have more than one at a time?
full

Thanks for the impressions. I sort of forgot about this game. I still might give it a try eventually.

What's with the HZD crossover? Is it just an homage?

It's a very accomplished game in a technical sense.

Sadly, I couldn't get into it for gameplay reasons. I've given it 3 tries - but I just can't enjoy it.

I'm also not a big fan of endless cutscenes that last forever - and constantly interrupt the flow.

I'm sure the story is good (though I smell weird for the sake of weird based on the initial 5-10 hours) - but Hideo couldn't get me to find being a post-man interesting enough :(

That's not surprising, @DArtagnan - the game is niche for sure. The first few hours are crammed full of story, so you get a lot of cutscenes and a lot of weirdness thrown at you quickly. You don't get a way to do a thing about the ghosties or MULEs other than "run away" until you get to the next zone, too, which makes it feel almost like a horror game.

What's with the HZD crossover? Is it just an homage?
Homage. The game engine came from Guerrilla. I think the guy that lets you use the holograms is the modeled on the CEO of Guerrilla, too.

P.S. Sample video from very early in the game (they are still giving actor credits):
View: https://youtu.be/iZYZpTksKV4

Fairly long. Plenty weird.

P.P.S. The game is on GamePass now.

Finally, a game that accurately represents what a typical RPG character hauls around in a dungeon! And it isn't even an RPG!
Beware low bridges and doorways.jpg
(Well, if swords and potions came in neat boxes, anyway.)

Back
Top Bottom