Demon Gaze Extra - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The dungeon crawler Demon Gaze Extra has been released:

About the Game

Guided by the Star Child, a new destiny is taking shape...
The protagonist becomes a bounty hunter using the Demon Gaze, an eye that controls Demons. As a Demon Gazer, he is uniquely capable of taking on the Demons that dwell in the region's labyrinths. Since its release in Japan in 2013, the original dungeon RPG DEMON GAZE was an instant hit. With its innovative system, engrossing storyline and thrilling challenges, DEMON GAZE EXTRA retains its original flavor while adding enhanced graphics and a number of new elements for an even greater gameplay experience.

In EXTRA, a Wide Variety of Labyrinths (Dungeons) Awaits!
The game takes place in the Misrid region, where there are many unique labyrinths above ground, underground, and even underwater. Remastered graphics give dungeon-crawling a more realistic feel!

The Dragon Inn: Bounty Hunter HQ
When the hero returns from a labyrinth, he is greeted at the Dragon Inn by a group of characters, all with unique personalities. The atmosphere here is cheerful, fun, and sometimes even serious.

Use the Demon Gaze to hunt down android-like lifeforms known as Demons!
Demons are android-like creatures that suddenly appeared in Misrid, and when they unleash their true power, they reveal even more vicious abilities.
If you defeat these masters of the labyrinths, you will gain abilities unique to each Demon's personality. You can also use the Open Demon command to summon them to participate in battle.

"Can you master the rampaging Demons?"
This gem is guaranteed to delight past Demon Gazers, as well as new fans of dungeon RPGs!

More information.

It was made by the Studio Experience that made Stranger of Sword City. In fact it was the game directly proceeding it. They have a newer title though called Undernauts,

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1570510/Undernauts_Labyrinth_of_Yomi/

which we for some reason missed, and which looks a lot more graphically appealing. Still they did well financially with Demongaze. It was their breakthrough game in the west on console in 2013.

It was made by the Studio Experience that made Stranger of Sword City. In fact it was the game directly proceeding it. They have a newer title though called Undernauts,

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1570510/Undernauts_Labyrinth_of_Yomi/

which we for some reason missed, and which looks a lot more graphically appealing. Still they did well financially with Demongaze. It was their breakthrough game in the west on console in 2013.

Hmm...interesting. I liked Strangers, but I also felt like it had a lot of potential that they never made use of. I'd be more interested in playing a newer game from them where they learned from experience rather than an older one. Undernauts looks potentially promising, although the $60 price tag is pretty ridiculous for a game like this. I'd still consider it, but I have other things to play first, and I'd be concerned about some of the reviews saying it's significantly easier than the others.

Hmm…interesting. I liked Strangers, but I also felt like it had a lot of potential that they never made use of. I'd be more interested in playing a newer game from them where they learned from experience rather than an older one. Undernauts looks potentially promising, although the $60 price tag is pretty ridiculous for a game like this. I'd still consider it, but I have other things to play first, and I'd be concerned about some of the reviews saying it's significantly easier than the others.

I agree, the entry price of their games is pretty steep, but the good thing for us customers at least is that if you are willing to wait they usually get discounted pretty quickly. I bought Strangers at -25% shortly after release, and could have bought Undernauts for -25% at the Lunar New Years sale. I think I bought Operation Babyl at -50% and that was a year or two after release.
Also while they keep the general game mechanics from game to game, they seem to try out different things from game to game. Saviors of Sapphire Wings has companions. Ray Gigant was totally stripped down. Also they've experimented with different settings.

Demon Gaze looks like it was designed for young children with attention span issues and tablets - with generous parents because how is this a $50 game? I guess they developed some degree of restraint and didn't put this up at $60.

I'll have to check out some 'tube because the screenshots look meh.

Bought and played it in Japan for the PS Vita (its one of the fewer RPGs which have english language in the japanese version). It is pretty neat for a quick dungeon stroll, but not too deep.

I can't speak for Demon Gaze, but the other games of theirs I've played were heavily influence by Wizardry 1-5, especially the classes and dungeon design.

Are you sure it's the same developer? The only other RPG I see by them is called God Wars, and it's a strategy-RPG. That's the only one they have on Steam at least.

That's fairly disappointing to read, a shallow dungeon crawler isn't what I was hoping for with this.

If you liked Strangers of Sword city i would recommend Demon Gaze. I liked it more than the former, but maybe only because i played it on the Vita in a hotel room in Tokyo. :)
Its shallow if you compare it to the western later Wizardrys i would say.

Are you sure it's the same developer? The only other RPG I see by them is called God Wars, and it's a strategy-RPG. That's the only one they have on Steam at least.

I think that has a lot to do with games being ported and taken up by other publishers for the western releases. The page below shows all their releases. Strangely enough the Japanese releases had in many cases better and less cartoony art.

https://www.giantbomb.com/experience-inc/3010-7359/developed/

I really wish there were more of these dungeon crawlers with Western art style. The anime scantily-clad girls are just cringey.

This overpriced game is not available in my Region, according to Steam. But honestly I was not thinking about buying it. These recent JP dungeon crawlers are so expensive!

Last edited:
I think that has a lot to do with games being ported and taken up by other publishers for the western releases. The page below shows all their releases. Strangely enough the Japanese releases had in many cases better and less cartoony art.

https://www.giantbomb.com/experience-inc/3010-7359/developed/

Ah ok, so Experience was the original developer of the IP. It doesn't seem like this one was developed by them though. I wonder if they sold the IP?

Back
Top Bottom