Destiny 2 or anthem

ilm

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
I couldn't immediately find a recent discussion on destiny 2 or anthem. Is anybody playing them these days? I have access to them with xbox game pass + dlc. I was wondering if they are worth doing for the singleplayer story. Especially destiny 2 looks to have a nice world / environments to explore.

I don't mind other people walking around in the world but I want to do it at my own pace and the storyline should go in interesting directions. No bland fetch or kill quests if possible (puzzles?).

I could just install it and try it out but I'm extremely prejudiced on MMOs. Just thinking about them puts me off. Thanks WoW.

Answering my own question: reading in between the lines (reddit etc.) it seems it is not worth it. Stories are lackluster and missions repetitive (typical MMO). The only good thing seems to be the cinematics and combat (for Anthem).

Answering my own question: reading in between the lines (reddit etc.) it seems it is not worth it. Stories are lackluster and missions repetitive (typical MMO). The only good thing seems to be the cinematics and combat (for Anthem).

Yeah, you play those games for the moment to moment gameplay not the stories.

That said, if you're in the mood for a looter-shooter with great visuals and gunplay, Anthem fits the bill even if it offers little else.

I'm not into the looter business, but for nice level design and atmospheric environments I hope to find something in one of those two. I will try anthem for a bit.

The lack of activity in this subforum also speaks for itself.

Yeah sorry I hate both games and the members who did play these games quit or have gone quiet. I remember Dart used to defend Anthem on almost every thread.

Anyhow most of the interest in the DDO thread.:)

I remember Dart gushing about Anthem too. I think he also was into the division, another looter shooter. Maybe he will pitch in in a couple of months as Dart565.

So installed it and started it up. I already wish this was a proper bioware game. Very nice on the graphics and cinematics. I can't help but notice that all MMOs make up for the bland gameplay with great cinematics (to lure poor players in). I remember the trailer of one of the first expansions of WoW. Completely setting the mood, and then what do you get? A click-fest of fetch quests.

Anyhow most of the interest in the DDO thread.:)
When thinking about good MMOs I came across SWTOR again. I remember Alrik said it has a really nice storyline + interesting class quests. Unfortunately it is only for pc.

When thinking about good MMOs I came across SWTOR again. I remember Alrik said it has a really nice storyline + interesting class quests. Unfortunately it is only for pc.
I played SWTOR Online when it became F2P. Yet I always felt how the whole game would have been better if they packed the story content as the next KOTOR SP game instead.

Haven't played the latest expansions though they cost money.

So installed it and started it up. I already wish this was a proper bioware game. Very nice on the graphics and cinematics. I can't help but notice that all MMOs make up for the bland gameplay with great cinematics (to lure poor players in). I remember the trailer of one of the first expansions of WoW. Completely setting the mood, and then what do you get? A click-fest of fetch quests.

Anthem isn't an MMO, it's a co-op looter shooter. Oddly enough, it's referred to as an action-RPG on Wikipedia.

At least Bioware made it pretty clear from the start what it was going to be. I still remember the original reveal trailer and how obvious it was that Anthem wasn't going to be the type of RPG they were known for.

And destiny 2 as a online-only multiplayer shooter. Complicated stuff.

I don't mind online-only or multiplayer as long as the story and quests are interesting. Unfortunately, the aim is to make people play it as long as possible which results in quantity over quality. If I see endgame content or dailies I know enough. Anyway this is nothing new as it has been discussed enough :)

I don't play them currently, but I would say "not really" if we're talking about the story.

In terms of gameplay, I vastly prefer Anthem - but it suffers quite heavily from being very barebones - and the singleplayer content is very limited.

Destiny 2 does have a lot of content - and with all expansions - there's a lot of story as well.

But it's not really very good or very interesting.

These games aren't really known for their story or strong singleplayer narratives - and while it's all subjective, it's not quite enough for that kind of content.

Personally, I think Division 2 is probably better than both of these for the singleplayer narrative. Well, not so much for the story - but the actual content. The "dungeons" and story missions are absolutely above and beyond in terms of visuals.

But it's STILL not really that great as a singleplayer game.

What about the missions and level design. Anything more than fetch and kill quests where you just have to clear a region of enemies (waves)? Exploring, puzzles, ...

Noooo, Daaaaart!

I guess I scared (or broke) him with my questions :(

What about the missions and level design. Anything more than fetch and kill quests where you just have to clear a region of enemies (waves)? Exploring, puzzles, …

If you're talking about Anthem, try the Freeplay mode. That's more focused on exploration vs the campaign.

Funny thing, I was already slightly irritated that I couldn't save mid mission, but now destiny 2 frequently disconnects with the cabbage error. I played the introduction 4 times before I was able to finish it without a disconnect.

Turns out it is a problem with my ISP's router and UPnP port forwarding. Something about a helper app on the router taking over udp port 3039 which destiny 2 needs. Seems there is no easy fix.

Funny you mention that as Anthem is dead.:p

Just a matter of time, before EA shuts down the servers.

Anthem is not dead. It's just not getting the new version that they were going to release. The current version is pretty solid though if you like that sort of thing.

Player count is low, Anthem Next was cancelled. Do the math. It all comes down to costs and revenue now. EA has shut down servers for games before for less reasons.

Also this.

BioWare's In Trouble - 150+ Senior Devs Quit

Back
Top Bottom