Deus Ex - Return under Embracer Group?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
WccfTech reports a rumour about a possible Deus Ex next installment by Eidos Montreal, now in the Embracer group:

Deus Ex May Return Under Embracer, Eidos Wants to "Do What Cyberpunk 2077 Couldn't"

Following Embracer Group's purchase of Square Enix's Western AAA studios, most of the focus has been on what might happen with Crystal Dynamics and the Tomb Raider franchise, but what about Eidos Montreal? With another Guardians of the Galaxy game likely off the table, what might they be tackling next?
Well, according to Jeff Grubb on the latest episode of his Game Mess Mornings show, it seems they may be going back to the franchise they're best known for - Deus Ex. While everything's still very early, Embracer is said to be much more open to bringing back Adam Jensen, and Eidos Montreal is fired up to "do what Cyberpunk 2077 couldn't" within the sci-fi RPG sphere.

[...]
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

Do what Cyberpunk 2077 couldn't? Finally! Adam Jensen finds himself a honey, so we'll get to play a parenting sim as the two raise little Paul Denton in the 2030's!

I've really enjoyed all the Deus Ex and would heartily welcome another. That said, I also enjoyed Cyberpunk. I didn't play Cyberpunk until earlier this year and my expectations were not over-inflated going into it - and maybe because of that, I found it to be a really enjoyable game. It seems everyone wants to bash on it for the terrible launch but I never see the point. I'll wait for a game to get patched and just play other things... and if the game doesn't improve much, well, I probably just won't play it and will move onto to another game.

To be honest
I haven't played Mankind Divided yet.
I found Human Revution quite fun but I haven't been in the mood for it.

If it ever does come out, I'll be sure to play Mankind Divided first :)

I think Cyberpunk 2077 is on my wishlist until I get a GPU capable of playing it comfortably.

I am not sure what they believe "Cyberpunk 2077 couldn't". I doubt they are talking about delivering a bug-free release, so it would be interesting to hear what they believe Cyberpunk 2077 was fundamentally lacking.

I loved Human Revolution as a rpg/action game and would definitely be interested in a new Deus Ex entry in the series, as long as it didn't go the microtransactions/live service/co-op focused or MMO online only route.

Well more power to them if they can actually deliver an open world Deus Ex RPG game. It'll be a day one buy for me, but as they say talk is very cheap. So prove me wrong. :celebrate:

Last edited:
I loved Human Revolution as a rpg/action game and would definitely be interested in a new Deus Ex entry in the series, as long as it didn't go the microtransactions/live service/co-op focused or MMO online only route.
Square Enix forced to them to add those mechanics, and then rethink the games development because of buyer backslash. It's hard to say no to you parent company.

At least Embracer is more of a hands off just make us money overload.

Eidos Montreal is probably my favorite game development company nowadays, with Deus Ex Human Revolution, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and Guardians of the Galaxy being great games and Shadow of the Tomb Raider being good while Thief from 2014 was decent.

I would greatly look forward to another Deus Ex game by this developer.

I enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077 as well quite a bit right after launch.

I thought Human Revolution was good, but Mankind Divided was terrible. Felt like an attempt to turn Deus Ex into an pseudo-"open world" RPG with a bunch of pointless wandering around and looting everything in sight, which isn't really what I'm looking for in a Deus Ex game. I figured I was done with the series after that one, but if there's some big shake-up behind the owner/developer, then I dunno.

They removed the cheats dlcs from the steam page but you can still buy those and money from steam while ingame lol (edit talking about the last game)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do what Cyberpunk 2077 couldn't?
Yeah, that caught me by surprise as well. It's obviously just an attempt at some early hype, but I think it's an odd statement considering how different those games are despite the cyberpunk settings.

I thought Human Revolution was good, but Mankind Divided was terrible. Felt like an attempt to turn Deus Ex into an pseudo-"open world" RPG with a bunch of pointless wandering around and looting everything in sight, which isn't really what I'm looking for in a Deus Ex game. I figured I was done with the series after that one, but if there's some big shake-up behind the owner/developer, then I dunno.
Really? I definitely enjoyed Mankind Divided more. I thought the level design in Human Revolution felt cramped and linear. To me, exploration should be a big part of any Deus Ex game, and MD did it much better.

Neither game was anywhere near as memorable as the original though.

I love all the Deus Ex games - well, except for Invisible War, but even that I probably liked more than most.

I really hope they don't try to out-do Cyberpunk in any area and just do their own thing. Deus Ex is fine not being fully open world.
I'd rather they don't waste resources on trying to flesh out a huge map and the things that result from that (e.g. car driving, repeatable filler). I liked Cyberpunk 2077 a lot, but Deus Ex does well as a more tightly defined experience.

I really liked mankind divided and would be keen to play a sequel. The only thing I didn't like is sometimes I felt their were too many enemies in some maps.

Mankind Divided was a greatly improved sequel that was ruined by publisher greed, and a short development cycle. The ending was terrible and basically a set up for the third game.

It was amazing to see how the recent Deus Ex Revision aged horribly. :D I still remember buggering the female employees and checking out the toilet and tasing chicks just for the kicks..

Talking about the Embracer Group, another series of acquisitions.

From their last press release:

INSIDE INFORMATION: Embracer Group AB (“Embracer”) and its subsidiaries have as previously communicated on 18 August 2022 entered into five acquisition agreements alongside one unannounced acquistion (the “Transactions”). The Transactions further strengthen and diversify Embracer’s portfolio with profitable IPs & franchises and increase Embracer’s high margin licensing from external partners. The Transactions also add to publishing capabilities in North America, solidifies Embracer’s leading position within the AA/A/Indie segment of the PC/Console market and its efforts in asset care and retro gaming as well as creates new opportunities for music and audio gaming products. The aggregated upfront purchase price amounts to SEK 6.0 billon, of which SEK 4.2 billion is paid in cash at closing, SEK 1.3 billion in cash is paid in 12 months and SEK 0.5 billion is paid with Embracer B shares. The likely total deferred consideration, linked to achievement of financial and operational targets over up to 7 years, amounts to SEK 2.2 billion, of which SEK 1.5 billion will be paid in cash and SEK 0.7 billion will be paid with Embracer B shares. The likely total consideration for the acquired businesses amounts to SEK 8.2 billion.
[...]

(1 SEK ≈ 0.094 EUR or 0.096 USD)

I like HR and MD about evenly.

HR had a better story and felt like a finished game, and MD had better gameplay and progression.

As for level design, both had great levels for the most part.

MD had too few main missions and some of them were simply too big without much in them - while HR hubs felt too small and artificial for my tastes. HR did have excellent main missions, though - and they felt just about right in terms of space versus stuff to find.

As for this quote, it sounds off.

I very much doubt they're going for an open world GTA type of game with a new Deus Ex - and it's not like DX was ever as story-focused as CDPR games.

So, it would be quite the change of direction for the series. Not that I'd mind another stab at a huge open world Cyberpunk type of game - I just don't think Deus Ex is the right choice for that.

Back
Top Bottom