Diablo 4 - Beta Review

I played a Necromancer to lvl 25 this weekend. Didn't finish Act 1, because I couldn't be bothered after having reached max lvl for the beta.

Performance and Graphics:
Graphics are alright, but far below current gen games. The character models feel a bit blocky somehow. Played well on my i7-6700k, vega 64, 16 GB RAM on 2560x1440. Some bugs, but not bad. The performance issues I had were all related to it being online. Quite a lot of rubber banding now and then, felt a bit janky and two disconnects in two days.

Audio:
Good, though the music was forgettable. It was a bit messy soundwise with too many sounds drowning out each other.

Gameplay:
I like that it feels more like a skill tree than D3. I really, really dislike that one can only have six skills usable at a time and it costs money to respec. It sucks, since I can't experiment without grinding money to respec back and forth. Either let me use more skills or let me respec freely. This mix feels off.

The skill use is time limited hidden behind the mana/essence regen limitation. It works alright, but it takes getting used to switching between skills not only from tactical point of view, but also from a mana regen point of view, for example:

Use damage skills, then use a curse to regen mana, use damage skills again, use curse and maybe another mana regen skill, maybe use the basic skill to regen mana faster. It is quite a lot to keep track of, but I'm not sure it's beneficial to the fun factor.

The quests feel mostly well done, but not great thus far. Didn't capture me yet so I stopped playing when I reached lvl 25. Feels a bit too much MMO sometimes, but in general not fetch quests and the voice acting is from decent to great.

Monster design is similar to the earlier games, with more difference in size. The biggest drawback is the almost absolute level scaling. It makes me feel too little progress.

Story:
Nothing very interesting thus far, but servicable as a motivator to keep leveling up. New, manipulative evil arrives, the hero chases her and encounters problems that need to be overcome by doing different quests. The biggest drawback is that a lot of the story is presented as dialogue, which while well done, is akin to telling instead of showing what is happening in a movie.

Summary:
I'd give it a score of "above average", but there are better action rpgs out there. I won't buy at release, but in a few months to years probably.

That's a reason why I cannot play bow builds in many RPGs with multi-shot skills.
My pet peeve is even more basic: posture. while I generally like archery in RPGs I simply can't play characters who hold the bow horizontally while shooting. That's just so yucky. It's the equivalent of Wild West hip shots. Might look "cool" or whatever in action movies or games, but aiming like that just isn't sensible at all.

Unfortunately it's being used way too often in today's games. A pity because I love the regular archery pose.

As for multishots, I don't mind them as a concept, although I always preferred Strafe in D2. Properly held bow, quick successive shots. Yumm.

My pet peeve is even more basic: posture. while I generally like archery in RPGs I simply can't play characters who hold the bow horizontally while shooting. That's just so yucky. It's the equivalent of Wild West hip shots. Might look "cool" or whatever in action movies or games, but aiming like that just isn't sensible at all.
Everybody gangsta until Big Dog starts slinging dat bow real gangsta style.

I am not a hack'n'slash connoisseur but I think the combat was rather too quick than slow. I also don't find the constant smashing enemies into submission interesting. There should be moments to suck in the atmosphere and do something else too. Btw, did you notice that you can teleport to the town pretty much from everywhere?
always the problem since diablo1 ) way too fast. not that I care anymore. the market is now full with projects, and my standards are sky high. best way to respect your time

Last Epoch looks like my preferred choice as one of the latest updates is offline SP.

Diablo just feels like another vaguely generic aRPG now. I don't quite understand the excitement around them anymore. It is possible I'll play this some years down the road but compared to so many other games being released these days, it falls way down my list in priority and desire to play.

I imagine you must really hate it when an armor ugrade is just some skimpy piece of leather that doesn't cover nearly as much as your previous armor. ;)

I decided to not buy the Game as long as they keep getting away with their shady MTX attempts they added with Immortal. Even if it's just skins only as they say, the buyable level boost for a second character is already borderline for me.

I was not impressed with D4. The biggest issue I have is I just feel that the core mechanic sucks. Does anyone really enjoy the build up resources then use you bigger skill loop? It's just annoying. Then when you combine that with cooldowns for everything else it just feels so restricted and rote. Good RPGs avoid both of these "mechanics" as much as possible. They did give us a "tree" but it is maybe the lamest tree of all time. I though the skill system in D3 was bad but this is even worse. Loot was very very dull. And before you give me "it's only to level 25" POE and Last Epoch have very interesting loot before level 25. Last Epoch especially with the synergies to the crafting has interesting loot from like the first few minutes of play. I just think in trying to attract as many players as possible they make the most unimaginative game possible.

It's worth mentioning that classes differ wildly. The Sorcerer plays very well, and will probably be the go-to class for most people at launch because of it. Necromancer and Rogues aren't far behind, but Barbarian and Druid are terrible at low levels. That being said, the community has been very vocal about this, so Blizzard might adjust that prior to release. Still, I'll stick with Sorcerer just because I know it's a safe bet. It's very enjoyable to play, and it does not lean on the traditional generator/spender setup.

What worries me is the inclusion of PvP. PvP worries me because it's impossible to balance in a game where the high end gaming is all about crazy builds, crazy damage, crazy everything. It's why it's now an insignificant aspect of PoE and other games that tried to do it. It just doesn't work, and I fear they'd have to throw the best aspect of the game under the bus to make it work. I really hope they don't try to balance things around PvP, as that's just going to make things bland.

Also, I'm slightly worried about how they do seasons. The game is a fair bit slower than most games of its kind, and it's probably going to take 100+ hours just to level up, do the story, explore the world and so on and so forth. That's before the end game even starts. I suspect their intention is to keep people occupied for the full three months of a season, but I'm not sure that's what the players want. They tend to swarm towards a game at the start of a new season, play it for 2-4 weeks and then play some other game until the next season starts.

Diablo just feels like another vaguely generic aRPG now. I don't quite understand the excitement around them anymore. It is possible I'll play this some years down the road but compared to so many other games being released these days, it falls way down my list in priority and desire to play.
Absolutely agree - I just watched some game playthroughs, I feel exhausted just looking at all that button mashing. I only played D3 when it was very cheap and I had absolutely nothing that I wanted to play. I just don't derive any great enjoyment from optimizing 'killa builds' and grinding loot etc. The story is generally laughable in aRPGs too - not my cup of tea (unless you're just messing about with friends, then it can be fun...for a bit). It looks pretty, so that's something I guess.

I think in PVP everyone has 95% damage reduction?

The seasons will be free but have a battlepass with free and paid tiers. The first season will start about 3 months after launch.
the buyable level boost for a second character is already borderline for me.
That's only in WoW.

Guess the Youtuber got it wrong on the Boosters then. We will see, i still don't believe in their Shop given the fact that Immortal's Shop was also advertised differently in the first place, and then they started selling legendary crests.

Yeah, we'll see. I'm sure Bliz is aware there's an army of people waiting to pounce on anything in the store that could be seen as pay2win.

I gave Immortal a look out of curiosity and the f2p stuff was extremely obvious but there was literally nothing like that in D4 beta. There wasn't even a store to view.

Maybe I will give it a try after the first price drop. Although I had some fun in the beta it isn't worth € 70 imho. Back to D2r for me :)

Also, there will be separate servers/portals for PvP I'd assume?
I'm not entirely sure. It's not servers but it might be opt-in. It's only in the PvP zones in each region. There are pvp gem spawns to fight over and extract to trade in for stuff. If you dont opt-in I think the zones just appear empty.

All this extra shit makes me less tempted to buy the game. Why cannot it just be a single-player and co-op game without annoying MMO elements? I have turned from "maybe I'll buy it in June" to "I definitely won't get it in June. Maybe it comes to Game Pass eventually".

I hate these MMO crap features they're adding. D2R was just perfect, they could just follow that model, but with a new story, characters and setting.

I was super hyped as I'm a huge Diablo fan, but the always online requirement, MMO stuff and having to interact with people online in the hubs just made me so frustrated I'll probably skip this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom