Diablo 4 - Delayed

Redglyph

SasqWatch
PCInvasion reports that Diablo IV has been delayed, along with Overwatch 2.

Overwatch 2 and Diablo IV have been delayed

Not even Blizzard soon.

Activision Blizzard announced some big changes following the release of its financial report today. According to the company, both Overwatch 2 and Diablo IV have been delayed to a "later launch." There have been rumors that Overwatch 2 would in fact get further pushed, but today marks the company's official confirmation on the move.

Activision delivered a series of slides detailing its Quarter 3 results, revealing the news in the one titled "Update on Our Pipeline." In the slide, the company writes that "some of the Blizzard content planned for next year will benefit from more development time to reach its full potential." That Blizzard content mentioned consists of both Diablo IV and Overwatch 2, which have been delayed until further down the road.

"While we are still planning to deliver a substantial amount of content from Blizzard next year, we are now planning for a later launch for Overwatch 2 and Diablo IV than originally envisaged," Activision Blizzard writes in the financial report. "These are two of the most eagerly anticipated titles in the industry, and our teams have made great strides towards completion in recent quarters. But we believe giving the teams some extra time to complete production and continue growing their creative resources to support the titles after launch will ensure that these releases delight and engage their communities for many years into the future.

"These decisions will push out the financial uplift that we had expected to see next year," the company continued. "But we are confident that this is the right course of action for our people, our players, and the long-term success of our franchises." [...]
More information.

Just announce when things aren't delayed. Save some time.

Besides, why release new games when you can remaster and re-release old ones for pennies on the dollar. Stay tuned for a "Stacraft Gold" coming soon.

I was surprised at the suspected release date of sometime in 2022. I would've imagined no sooner than 2024. I hope they only release it when it's feature full, and then some. To make up for how D3 came out.

But man, Blizzard is seemingly in an endless hot-water scandal. After their old CEO left, two people were put in place. And one of them already left. Such a shame. But one person you can expect to hang on forever for dear life, is Bobby Kotick. Apparently he's still doing performative acts like asking the company's board to reduce his salary to the lowest possible value. Even though he gets most of his money from his stock and bonuses. So, yeah.

I hope better leaders step up and manage to pull it out of the gutter. I'd be a shame for the people that actually like working there to be dragged down. Even though I hear salary-wise and on bonuses/rewards they're really stingy, especially with the average employees.

Just announce when things aren't delayed. Save some time..

I hear this "announcement" wasn't really for the public, unless I misunderstood. Apparently it was leaked to the press, which is where we hear about it? Would be funny if Blizzard came out and denied it. Though I doubt it, since they already cancelled next year's Blizzconline. Their imagine is in the gutter, so releasing anything or doing any PR work is likely wasted money. Might even make it worse.

I think most highly anticipated AAA games get delayed more and more. And the end result doesn't even justify those delays...

I really feel for the Diablo IV delaying. As for Overwatch 2, it can get indefinitely postponed, if you know what I mean. I don't care.

Delayed from what? I didn't know that they had announced any estimated release (year?) yet. Sounds like some internal deadline. This piece of news reeks of clickbait.

They're definitely having a hard time at Blizzard.
Yeah and it brings happy tears to my eyes. Hope the whole company collapses one day. Sounds harsh I know but my personal opinion of this company is at an all time low.

Basically after Warcraft 3 I haven't cared all that much for their games.

Yeah and it brings happy tears to my eyes. Hope the whole company collapses one day. Sounds harsh I know but my personal opinion of this company is at an all time low.

Basically after Warcraft 3 I haven't cared all that much for their games.
It does sound pretty harsh. ;) It's all a matter of taste though, I haven't played anything since Warcraft either. Friends played WoW and enjoyed it a lot, but I was in the EQ side at that time, when I was still playing online. So they must have done something good there, too.

If only there was a reason games were getting delayed more often lately....like this little thing called a pandemic.

I think there is a challenge level difference between a remaster and trying to awe the world with what aims to be the genre-defining product for the next decade or so, one can be predicted and done by assigning X amount of code monkeys to work X hours per day, the other one requires a lot of creativity and talent, trial and error, balancing, etc.

That said, the pandemic thing everyone should be over it already. It did have an effect on the development of many products, as wfh and remote connection between colleagues was something kinda new, especially when done by every member of the company/studio, and it took some time to adapt, some tools needed to be developed, as well as channels to funnel the workload and make it go down the pipeline more efficiently. At this point, I'd say whoever is still not being as productive as pre-pandemic times is just being a lazyass taking advantage of the fact that their boss isn't directly looking over their shoulders as they work, and then bullshitting their way with excuses as to why they're not hitting the deadlines.

Funny, for such a prominent company in the video game industry, they've pretty much been a non-entity for me since... I dunno, maybe Diablo 2? I did play Diablo 3, and tried WoW for a bit, but I wouldn't have cared if those never existed - which is how I think about most of their games now. If they make something I'll look at it and might try it... but I never look forward to anything they do anymore.

Funny, for such a prominent company in the video game industry, they've pretty much been a non-entity for me since… I dunno, maybe Diablo 2? I did play Diablo 3, and tried WoW for a bit, but I wouldn't have cared if those never existed - which is how I think about most of their games now. If they make something I'll look at it and might try it… but I never look forward to anything they do anymore.

I think you are describing mainstream right there. Applies for music, movies, and such too.

I was semi-hooked to WoW for a while but didn't own a computer that was powerful enough to run it so I had to play it as a guest. I do see why that game is so popular. Not for me, though.

It should not be news to anyone that Blizzard is making MMOs by now. If you hate to be social online while gaming, you'll dislike everything this company does. Fair enough and so what? Diablo 2 was fun in quick plunges with a friend. I am looking forward to Diablo 4 to do the same, although it seems that I and my friends may be dead before it releases :p

On the positive side, my computer can run the remake of Diablo 2. Still have not bothered to get it but perhaps I will.

I think there is a challenge level difference between a remaster and trying to awe the world with what aims to be the genre-defining product for the next decade or so, one can be predicted and done by assigning X amount of code monkeys to work X hours per day, the other one requires a lot of creativity and talent, trial and error, balancing, etc.

That said, the pandemic thing everyone should be over it already. It did have an effect on the development of many products, as wfh and remote connection between colleagues was something kinda new, especially when done by every member of the company/studio, and it took some time to adapt, some tools needed to be developed, as well as channels to funnel the workload and make it go down the pipeline more efficiently. At this point, I'd say whoever is still not being as productive as pre-pandemic times is just being a lazyass taking advantage of the fact that their boss isn't directly looking over their shoulders as they work, and then bullshitting their way with excuses as to why they're not hitting the deadlines.

They me be productive now but I bet lost at least a year of productivity....that just doesn't come back over night because you are now able to do it.

Boosters will play a big role in delays then inevitable cancellations of AAA projects.

I am looking forward to Diablo 4 to do the same, although it seems that I and my friends may be dead before it releases :p
Someone should develop a game, which ghosts can play too. Then multiplayer characters can have a ghost-id.

Back
Top Bottom