Diablo 4 - Gameplay @ IGN

First bit of an arpg is just about the worst to show off overall mechanics. It's the equivalent to hunting rats under Candlekeep.
Yeah, but at least it seems alright, though a bit too much HP sponges. And the player wasn't very skilled which was annoying to watch.

I didn't see any character creation, which was strange, and the game play just looked "OK" to me. Good to excellent graphics and atmosphere, but the core Diablo type of simple hack and slash gameplay seems to be same thing as in earlier game. Kill the easy monsters (too many easy monsters) and then they drop all the loot with the sound effects. Yay. Probably the Diablo fans will like that though.

Still mildly interested, but have to see character creation and what characters and classes I could choose from.

mmo elements was enough to save me 60 bucks

Mortismal Gaming checked out the Diablo 4 Beta:

Imo. They need to scrap the endless clicking combat system and either add a couple few companions and go RTWP or stick solo and go with a proper 3rd person OTS combat system.

As for the video, honestly if they hadn’t told me what it was Diablo 4 I would have thought it was just another ARPG by an indie dev.

It looks like....Diablo (I, II, III). I enjoyed some hack'n slash fun (D2 mostly) with friends back in the day, but tried D3 as a single player game and found it tedious. But I am not the hack'n slash aRPG target - so I'm sure peopple who loved D3, wil love this too. And it will make a ton of moolah. I may eventially get it when it is cheap, some way down the line, just to try with if there is nothing else engaging.

Yea, watched that Mortismal video...oh boy, didn't know about the MMO stuff. If they try to force it into MMO territory, that will dissipate all my interest in the game. At least give a solo mode to players like me, even if its online only (which I also don't like but can deal with), for gosh sakes.

Yea, watched that Mortismal video...oh boy, didn't know about the MMO stuff. If they try to force it into MMO territory, that will dissipate all my interest in the game. At least give a solo mode to players like me, even if its online only (which I also don't like but can deal with), for gosh sakes.
There is no full singleplayer. Though, the only places where you tend to see a more significant amount of people are towns.
Outside of towns, in the open world, you see one or two once in a while. They specifically said they will limit how many people you see in the open world.
And the game worlds are sharded and you only share once instance with a certain number of people. As more people join they're pushed to other dynamic shards. There is also no region separation.
In the dungeons themselves you're fully solo, or with the party you brought in.

I would've liked a full solo experience, since I tend to play like that. But I'm also fine with this implementation.
And since there are certain triggered public events, it also makes for an interesting experience sometimes.
There's even a limited number of world bosses in the game. They have one in the beta.

I don't play MMOs and don't like that sort of thing, but I've played some Path of Exile and it wasn't too distracting in that (I'm assuming at the moment that Diablo IV has a similar approach)

There is no full singleplayer. Though, the only places where you tend to see a more significant amount of people are towns.
Outside of towns, in the open world, you see one or two once in a while. They specifically said they will limit how many people you see in the open world.
And the game worlds are sharded and you only share once instance with a certain number of people. As more people join they're pushed to other dynamic shards. There is also no region separation.
In the dungeons themselves you're fully solo, or with the party you brought in.

I would've liked a full solo experience, since I tend to play like that. But I'm also fine with this implementation.
And since there are certain triggered public events, it also makes for an interesting experience sometimes.
I will probably have to watch some let's play videos to get a better feel for it, because it sounds like something that might be "ok", but obviously not ideal. (for those of us who aren't MMO gameplay fans)

I've played Diablo 1 - I could beat the main boss after one day of playing in 5 seconds.
Diablo is a totally overrated game series, that spawned even more witless so-called action RPGs.

Don't worry about the "MMO elements". All content will be soloable. You won't have to join a guild and take up raiding as a second job to get the best items.

It seems to confirm my fears then, not a game for me. Besides, Blizzard is not my favourite company.
I was a big fan of Blizzard in the Warcraft 1-2 and StarCraft days, but they've lost their mojo for me. I'm curious enough about D4 to want to try it, but I won't pay full price.

Atmosphere and graphics look great! This might be an entertaining experience solo or with a friend. Gameplay looks similar to the previous games. It tends to keep me interested for a few hours until I get bored but perhaps the atmosphere saves in this game. I'll also wait until the price drops a bit or maybe it comes to Game Pass eventually. A great list of releases this year.

Back
Top Bottom