Diablo 4 - Story Launch Trailer

I just hope to be done with Zelda by June 2nd... if only one didn't need to work to live. :)

I enjoyed the time I spent with the Beta but not enough to get this at release. I'm not a big fan of isometric action-RPGs, but I do try to play some of the better ones.

I'll grab it at some point in the future after they've further refined it. Maybe during the first sale which I know won't be for awhile.

I'll grab it at some point in the future after they've further refined it. Maybe during the first sale which I know won't be for awhile.
You might see a sale on the base game when the expansion drops but that doesn't mean you'll pay less total ;)

I really enjoy action RPGs, but this wasn't my cup of tea. Yet. D3 became a lot better over time: good, though not great, in my opinion. I hope they change D4 more in a direction of my liking.

I'll wait and see, and likely buy it when the single player part is "complete", however complete a GaaS ever gets. I'm guessing the presentation and production values alone will be pretty worthwhile

I'm excited for D4 and hope the story and narrative manages to keep it more dark fantasy, like D2. What we played through the beta seemed to indicate that. I hope there's nothing too goofy going on.
D3 was absolutely abysmal in the story, and the devs did not take it seriously or do it subdued enough. It was over-the-top all the time.
I also watched a short summary of Diablo Immortal's story (which happens between D2 and D3). Holy god it is silly and stupid. I hope they manage to be subtle and dark, and not go tongue-in-cheek or anything. I'd really like it if I enjoyed replaying the campaign multiple times, and not try to stay away from it like I did in D3.

Last edited:
D3 was absolutely abysmal in the story, and the devs did not take it seriously or do it subdued enough. It was over-the-top all the time.
....I hope they manage to be subtle and dark, and not go tongue-in-cheek or anything. I'd really like it if I enjoyed replaying the campaign multiple times, and not try to stay away from it like I did in D3.
Woo I find that rude.

Not sure what's so subtle in Diablo 1 story, if you mean Dark that's different, but subtle, not much more than Doom. Or ok I didn't noticed.

For Diablo 2, it is quite less dark than Diablo 1, so I don't see what's so dark in Diablo 2 mood. For how subtle is the story, not sure what you mean.

D3 abysmal story, did you skipped all dialogs or what? D3 tongue-in-check story writing? Writing focusing on sarcasm if not auto sarcasm and not serious? That's not the D3 I played. There's no NPC as touching in D2 than is Leah in D3. I don't see how you can have follow her as a sacrastic writing and non serious writing. Ok it's not dark, but not any great game writing need be dark, no way D2 is that dark for me, far from D1 at least.

D3 abysmal story, did you skipped all dialogs or what? D3 tongue-in-check story writing? Writing focusing on sarcasm if not auto sarcasm and not serious? That's not the D3 I played. There's no NPC as touching in D2 than is Leah in D3. I don't see how you can have follow her as a sacrastic writing and non serious writing. Ok it's not dark, but not any great game writing need be dark, no way D2 is that dark for me, far from D1 at least.
No, I loved the story beat where Cain, a beloved and long-lived character, gets killed by a butterfly lady.
Or when Azmodan and Diablo constantly taunt me with 2 bit mustache-twirling one-liners for the whole length of the journey to them.
The only story moment that was decent in that whole game was the first cinematic, where Tyrael flashes Leah with his memory of giving up his angelhood.
Other than that, absolutely terrible.

In the absolute, D2's story, writing, plot beats and narrative structure was nothing remarkable. Just decent.
Actually, I take it back. D2's use of the Marius character in all the cinematics as a story device was pretty solid. I always loved that. And the cinematics were amazing. I still get goosebumps on some of them. It's probably partly due to nostalgia, of having played it 20 years ago when I was a lot younger.
But all of that compared to D3, and D2 it is a work of art.

Anyway, don't mind my being-jaded attitude. I just hated the way they handled most of the story in D3. My 2 cents on it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Woo I find that rude.
Rude? Why? Did you write Diablo 3?

For my part, D3 is the only Diablo I've played, so I can't compare it to 1 or 2, but taking it by itself, the story put me to sleep. It wasn't bad, or badly delivered, just not interesting. It was fantasy peril 101. My issue was with the too easy gameplay.

Rude? Why? Did you write Diablo 3?

For my part, D3 is the only Diablo I've played, so I can't compare it to 1 or 2, but taking it by itself, the story put me to sleep. It wasn't bad, or badly delivered, just not interesting. It was fantasy peril 101. My issue was with the too easy gameplay.
Three points:
- That's rude for Lhea who got a touching fate.
- That's rude for writers, quote something is rude isn't necessarrily just for you. FYI there's a lot of humans on earth and empathy is supposed to be a human characteristic.
- That's basic psychological behavior, when any human love/like something, he feels insulted when some nobody or prince says it's crap. So let say that's rude for my tastes and preferences.

Too easy gameplay, can you elaborate? It just means too easy difficulty? Well, I don't know the point to lock the two highest difficulty levels in D3, for sure it can bother first play of some players. But just argue the gameplay is inherently easy is requesting some elaboration, but too bad you could not use D2 comparison point, perhaps Torchlight 2?

For the story, let say it's a matter of taste, but I would argue there's ton of much worse main stories, and a mass of games totally unable to trigger any attachment to any NpC, and even less able to trigger an emotion for a NPC at level it is for Lhea.

Three points:
- That's rude for Lhea who got a touching fate.
- That's rude for writers, quote something is rude isn't necessarrily just for you. FYI there's a lot of humans on earth and empathy is supposed to be a human characteristic.
- That's basic psychological behavior, when any human love/like something, he feels insulted when some nobody or prince says it's crap. So let say that's rude for my tastes and preferences.

Too easy gameplay, can you elaborate? It just means too easy difficulty? Well, I don't know the point to lock the two highest difficulty levels in D3, for sure it can bother first play of some players. But just argue the gameplay is inherently easy is requesting some elaboration, but too bad you could not use D2 comparison point, perhaps Torchlight 2?

For the story, let say it's a matter of taste, but I would argue there's ton of much worse main stories, and a mass of games totally unable to trigger any attachment to any NpC, and even less able to trigger an emotion for a NPC at level it is for Lhea.
You must've played a completely different game than I. The only emotions I had was cringing and eye-rolling.
As far as respect for another's work, I'm pretty confident they didn't put much energy or thought into it.
Years ago there was some Blizzard dev responding to negative feedback about the story and writing, and he basically said something along the lines of "what did you expect, it's a story about angels and demons fighting".
I think their ego is fine.

You must've played a completely different game than I. The only emotions I had was cringing and eye-rolling.
As far as respect for another's work, I'm pretty confident they didn't put much energy or thought into it.
Years ago there was some Blizzard dev responding to negative feedback about the story and writing, and he basically said something along the lines of "what did you expect, it's a story about angels and demons fighting".
I think their ego is fine.
No there's a difference of sensibility nothing more, pretty sure plenty D3 players get touch a lot by Lhea, many players asked for a sequel making her come back, pretty sure nobody ever requested any NPC dead in Diablo 2 make any come back.

Not that you are insensible, more that you played D3 with a negative spirit, starting on base that it was crap if not globally then on many aspects compared to D2.

Or it's just you are more touched by elders death despite they did their time, i'm too old for that and young ladies prematured death touch me a lot more. :p

I played through D3 once on all difficulties. The only thing I remember about the story is that Deckard Cain died.

I played through D3 once on all difficulties. The only thing I remember about the story is that Deckard Cain died.
And in the most disrespectful way, for such an fan favorite character. That's the moment I knew the story was gonna be shit.
That's the moment I knew they just wanted to hit some story beats they wrote, couldn't care less how they hit them. Since in their mind "it's just a shitty Diablo story, and nobody really takes it seriously".
And that's how the rest turned out. Absolutely forgettable and unremarkable plot. With some cringe and eye-rolling moments along the way.

The Reaper of Souls expansion managed to improve it, and it could've been even more appreciated had the well not already been poisoned.
This guy makes pleads my case precisely. Pretty much goes through all my issues with it. It's like he describes exactly what I felt.
Except for the case he makes right at the end that story should be secondary. In some games yes, in others no. It's all in how you do it. As long as you do it well.
Diablo really would be much better with the sort of storytelling that we see in Souls-borne games.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G4lX-MKrgI

Last edited:
I'm too busy with WoW to play this but Im sure I will pick it up at some point (hubby already bought it lol)

Lol typical empty collection of words affirmations. One more guy trying looking smart or interesting by making a charge on a game.

He shows himself his total inability of objectivty:
- No D3 cannot be all wrong lol. That he see it like that is enough to disqualify him as one more boredom hater or looking fame through hate speech.
- That's not a D3 comment but a D3 vs D2, lol, probably an ignorant of Diablo like genre, not even knowing Diablo like as Torchlight 2, facepalm. Ok for story, TL2 isn't the perfect quote, but stick to D2 vs D3 as if D2 is perfect, sorry but no.
- That's the typical "Diablo 2 is perfect" speech enough to totally destroy this charge, not credible.

But on start, I'll never agree D2 story was that good, okish or a bit above average for focused action games and in the top for Diablo like games, but as D3 and nothing more. And from the few I saw of D4 it will probably won't improve that.

At what time is his comment on Lhea? I'd enjoy have a good laugh on stupidity of this video, typical one.

But that you feel it that way is fine, your problem I'd say. But don't ask me agree on such crap hate video.

EDIT:
I quote the video is ten years ago, there's been quite an anti hype against D3 for many reasons, from lost of true character building, organized market, less dark I suppose, many more. But now all the hate is in back it's pretty clear that D3 is a very marking Diablo like and pretty good on many aspects.

When there's some anti hype like that, the mass aspect of hate push many people feel authorized put their brain and analyzing abilities to trash and contribute blindly to the hate. But it leads to the typical problem of showing how stupid they are to do that, with a speech being blindly a "one way charge" just showing someone totally unable see anything positive in D3 despite it has many good points, which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom