Disco Elysium - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Played this a few months ago and im so glad i did after postponing it so much, its a masterpiece, has a ton of memorable scenes/events/whatever and im very surprised there are no new games with this concept.

edit
View: https://youtu.be/dwkQvOSzXnE
i remember about this quest that i did not want to do it, those wannabe band dudes were so annoying at first, but after finishing the questline, it was the best from the whole game.

edit2 read a few days ago, they are hiring for a SciFI game so maybe their next game wont be the sequel

Last edited by a moderator:
The upcoming Pentiment from Obsidian ans Citizen Sleeper are narrative heavy RPGs as well.

The upcoming Pentiment from Obsidian ans Citizen Sleeper are narrative heavy RPGs as well.
Somehow I doubt Pentiment's writing will be anywhere near as cool as Disco Elysium's, but I'll play it anyway, I'm sure it'll be decent.

I couldn't get into DE. It was just too slow for me. From the way the characters moved, to how the camera panned, to the endless walls of text...I just wanted to sleep. Maybe I'll try it again someday if I'm in the right mood.

It wasn't for me either.

I don't think Pentiment can even be compared to DE, they seem to be completely different. But we'll know for sure when it's out, I'm looking forward for this one.

True, I guess Pentiment looks more like an adventure game than an RPG without combat. I guess Obsidian isn't even calling it an RPG.

I found DE an interesting experience but I'm not sure I would call it amazing like the hype it's gotten all over.

I personally would call it a very intricate choose your own adventure with an interesting story.

The writing is quite special but it's a bit odd too.
You certainly need to be in the mood to read a book to play it. This isn't for a fast paced action session :)

What i really liked about this game is that it keeps surprising you on and on and on, when you thought it cant anymore, it gets even more wowful. Also, the story of the dude who created the studio is quite interesting, from a poor depressed alcoholic to (probably) $ millionaire.

Honestly this was one of the best games I played in the last year. I absolutely loved it!

Daniel.

I thought Harry was the best part of the game and enjoyed how he was an unreliable narrator. I also liked that there was no combat in the game.

I've never felt motivated to play it again though - which is what I judge a masterpiece by.

Back
Top Bottom