Disco Elysium - Video Review @ ACG

A GOG copy comes with a free copy of Underrail whereas a Steam key doesn't appear to have any bonus so it seems GOG is the way to go even if you don't care about DRM.

Nice to hear that great old games has a perk like that, so I'll be buying it from that site over steam. Which I'd do anyways, a perk like that just makes it even more enticing to me.

That's smart. GOG should try to become the indy sales platform.

So what does the review say? Can't stand watching videos.

I didn't watch it. Didn't want to spoil myself. DLing the game now. Check out the first few Steam reviews. I think they provide a nice summary of what to expect.

Edit: Oh, man, I'm really enjoying the conversation with my lizard brain at the start of the game. It's basically all just evil apes dukin' it out on a giant ball, but I'm one disco mother. I'll check y'all out later. :p

Last edited:
So what does the review say? Can't stand watching videos.

IIRC: Overall he enjoyed it, compared the result to PS:T and found it brilliant and funny, with a counter-intuitive skill system, frequent societal convention bashing, and an overall mind-blowing experience, with a high replay value and a seemingly insane setting. There are mentioned a few sub-par sections in the voice acting and a couple of video performance issues, but nothing significant.

The video review was better than most I've heard, so you might want to reconsider.

IIRC: Overall he enjoyed it, compared the result to PS:T and found it brilliant and funny, with a counter-intuitive skill system, frequent societal convention bashing, and an overall mind-blowing experience, with a high replay value and a seemingly insane setting. There are mentioned a few sub-par sections in the voice acting and a couple of video performance issues, but nothing significant.

The video review was better than most I've heard, so you might want to reconsider.

ACG is one of the few people I actually trust with reviews. He does them pretty well imho.

It's impossible to have more hours unless you were betatesting it. ;)
I suggest reading only the negative steam reviews (and comments on those if exist) to get some laughs.

What I mean is those steam "reviews" are more like first impressions. I'd rather wait for reviews from those who finish it.

For some stuff that isn't the overall story, characters and quests quality you don't need a "finished" input:

- characters movement is Unity=clunky
- however your sidekick is not Lydia the professional doorblocker nor Tomy the traps seeking NWN idiot, but moves and stands at "proper" spots
- in the recent market bombardment with "everything needs coop or mmo" rubbish, because because devs couldn't make an AI that isn't amoeba sim, this game shows that you can make an amazingly interesting strict singleplayer with a sidekick not controlled by your cat or gold fish
- playing the game with mushrooms I'd say is nearly impossible as this ain't no dumb need4speed
- unlike many AAA titles that adore microscopic fonts, this indie dared to allow you to pick different size of the text font and leave glasses aside if your myopia is not severe
- this game is everything DarkSouls isn't, thus maybe you shouldn't touch it if QTE2.0 is by your opinion the best thing ever humanity invented after Tesla's AC electricity

;)

Last edited:
ACG is one of the few people I actually trust with reviews. He does them pretty well imho.

Keep in mind ACG thought Vampyr was like the greatest game of all time. Not many agreed after they bought and tried it (he might be right, i did not play that game).

Keep in mind ACG thought Vampyr was like the greatest game of all time. Not many agreed after they bought and tried it (he might be right, i did not play that game).

I'd probably disagree with him quite often then. Vampyr was good but far from great imo.

I've only played a couple hours of DE, and it's definitely good if you're in the mood for that kind of game. I don't find myself wanting to play it for long periods though. As much as I enjoy great writing, I want some gameplay to go with it, and by gameplay I mean more than just reading and selecting responses.

Last edited:
I'd probably disagree with him quite often then. Vampyr was good but far from great imo.

I've only played a couple hours of DE, and it's definitely good if you're in the mood for that kind of game. I don't find myself wanting to play it for long periods though. As much as I enjoy great writing, I want some gameplay to go with it, and by gameplay I mean more than just reading and selecting responses.

yeah i don't think DE is for me at all, i really prefer books for longer dialogues and deep story telling, just an overall better medium (for reading for longer periods) i think. Not too keen on sitting down in front of my computer to only read for 10 mins or more, it's not why i play games. it seems like a really cool game if you're into that though.

I want some gameplay to go with it, and by gameplay I mean more than just reading and selecting responses.
No, you mean it needs the hacking minigame from (Arkane's) Prey. :p

On a serious note, that is true, there is no interesting "chill a bit from reading" content. The game does have a sort of puzzles, but all are too easy (at least so far in my game) even after failing a skillcheck or two. Thus I'm not impressed with that part.

yeah i don't think DE is for me at all, i really prefer books for longer dialogues and deep story telling, just an overall better medium (for reading for longer periods) i think. Not too keen on sitting down in front of my computer to only read for 10 mins or more, it's not why i play games. it seems like a really cool game if you're into that though.
DE is a videogame and not a book. Which means you need to do other stuff and not just reading only.

It's basically point'n'click adventure, RPG and VN hybrid without Rockstar's budget (otherwise it'd be Bully 2). If it matters, I wish all existing VNs with static "dolls" and stills evolve into DE style.

Last edited:
yeah point click adventures has had its time, for me at least.. a modern such game could be cool if balanced really well with just as deep RPG mechanics and immersion (like day/night cycles, NPC's actually living a life in the world you are in, interesting loot). Unfortunately these types of games tends to be stuck in the 90's.

I also kind of get the impression that this is a game where everything from dialogue to overall writing tries to be "clever" all the time, that would get on my nerves.

Back
Top Bottom