Dishonored - Retrospective Review

Since so many posts in this thread seem to falsely represent the existence of only two Dishonored games, I'll mention that there is a third, Death of the Outsider, for those who may not as familiar with the series.
I mentioned that one, but I categorize that as more of a standalone expansion to DH2.

Since so many posts in this thread seem to falsely represent the existence of only two Dishonored games, I'll mention that there is a third, Death of the Outsider, for those who may not as familiar with the series.
I haven't played that one yet, thanks for reminding me.

This thread makes me want to replay or continue Dishonored 2, and possibly Death of the Outsider. :)

I haven't played that one yet, thanks for reminding me.

This thread makes me want to replay or continue Dishonored 2, and possibly Death of the Outsider. :)
Worst thing about Death of the Outsider is they removed the Blink ability, from what I remember. Otherwise, I liked it good enough. But taking away the main movement ability which was so integral to the game so far was very annoying.
They replaced it with a different movement ability, sort of similar (can't remember what the rules for it were). But it was sufficiently fickle and annoying to use. Plus I remember gravity being an element to it? I don't remember, but I remember hating it.

I only finished the first Dishonored. This thread may give me the itch to return to the series. I got 75% of the way through the second game, which is excellent. I think Red Dead Redemption 2 came out and pulled me away.

This also makes me want to play Deathloop again, another good game I didn't finish.

I only finished the first Dishonored. This thread may give me the itch to return to the series. I got 75% of the way through the second game, which is excellent. I think Red Dead Redemption 2 came out and pulled me away.
So you were seemingly offended that people weren't recognizing Death of the Outsider, and you haven't even played it? ;)

So you were seemingly offended that people weren't recognizing Death of the Outsider, and you haven't even played it? ;)
"Offended". Sure. I was mentioning its existence, which amazingly enough I have the ability to do regardless of how much of it I've played (roughly half, for the record).

Immersive Sim can be a brain exercise for a lot of people. Its genre-blending nature is to subvert common genre expectations, to make way for the unexpected, "emergent" behavior. What makes most videogame sell a lot is in conforming and meeting genre expectations.
I see your point, but:

Emergent: It's more related to player freedom on how achieve goals than complicate cases requesting out of the box solutions. On base it's supposed to mean play approach not anticipated by dev, but a dev can't design a context with no solution but some that players will have to find by themselves.

Expecting know gameplay: There's a clear step from learning from scratch a quite new gameplay, there's a learning curve probably not many players enjoy much. But there's a totally opposed tendency favoring new ideas. it comes from younger people in hurry to setup new bases for the world so put past in trash and seeing everything new as amazing and good to promote to put old in obsolecense. It also comes from more influential people half tired of playing too many video games, and very excited when there's anything fresh/new. This creates a strong opposite tendency reinforced by a majority of influential players and pushing to new stuff feeling really fresh. It even often creates an exaggerate enthusiasm on "innovative" games (that myself I learned avoid as much than possible :). But this point is not much different than for other entertainments.

For games that sell a lot, ok a part is have a gameplay that isn't a revolution nor a whole unknown world with everything to learn. But all or most need also bring list of features that feel fresh and new, or at at worse that looks fresh and new even if they fail be really fresh and new.
I think there's also a bit of left brain / right brain interaction here. It takes some creativity to really play Dishonored and utilize all of its tools in concert with the game world. That call for using the tools in experimental ways is an invitation for some and an exertion for others. Personally I'm a very logical person and I feel I could afford to experiment in Dishonored more.
What I find annoying in such experimenting is I try 100 smart things and none are allowed by the game just the 101th. It's quickly unfun for me to try many things to just quote it was lost of time. That said just experimenting can fill a part of the fun until you realize it was a dead end. That's why I hate "classic" adventure games, I always feel their logic unlogical if not absurd.

Back
Top Bottom