DA:O Dragon Age: Origins -- best game ever made?

Dragon Age: Origins
Best game? No. In my top 20 CRPGs, yes.

Origins was, if we're being honest, just a 3D version of Baldur's Gate. Same combat, same character interaction, mostly the same gameplay....the only difference was it looked better. I think that's what it is when you boil it down. A prettier, modernized BG.

That's why it worked too. At that time, CRPGs were changing and becoming more mainstream/action oriented/casual, yet DA:O was a game that just kept the old style and put a new coat of paint on it. I think what happened after DA:O and Mass Effect 2 is that EA told BioWare to cut the old school **** out and make something little Johnny could play on his Xbox that looked cool and kept his attention from drifting.

But yeah, DA:O? Damn good game. All told I've finished it about 6 or 7 times since 2009. Probably took 3 or 4 of those characters through Awakening. Took 2 of those through DA2....and only one of those 2 made it through DA3.

Make of that what you will.

I haven't played DA:O since it awakenings came out. I really need to give it another shot one of these days.

Origins was, if we're being honest, just a 3D version of Baldur's Gate. Same combat, same character interaction, mostly the same gameplay….the only difference was it looked better. I think that's what it is when you boil it down. A prettier, modernized BG.

I don't think that was the only difference. I felt DA:O was somewhat repetitive and had less options compared to BG. BG has more variety in the world and especially the bestiary. Most of the areas in DA:O have a very samey look, and, with a few exceptions, you fight the same 4-5 enemy types throughout the game.

I think what happened after DA:O and Mass Effect 2 is that EA told BioWare to cut the old school **** out and make something little Johnny could play on his Xbox that looked cool and kept his attention from drifting.

I agree, but I'd say that happened after ME1.

It's one of my favorites. It's not on the same level as the BG games obviously.

A thing that brings it down a notch for me is that it's obviously a Martin knockoff at so many points, emerging apocalypse after having been in hibernation for so long, the hidden king of questionable parentage, the Grey Wardens > The Watch, divided political enemies that need to be brought together, etc.

Dragon Age is a masterpiece, it's been a long time since I was so addicted to a game. Everything is perfect, I liked everything in the game

Back
Top Bottom