Dragon Age: The Veilguard - Overview

That was a great article. I'm liking more what I read than the bits they showed on video, but it's definitely a game I'll want to play to judge for myself.

I'm hoping for the best as Dragon Age Origins is one of my all time favorite games to this day, still have to try and get past the Hinterlands in DA:I, which I plan to do before The Veilguard is released.
But the graphics remind me for some reason of the beginning of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning...hopefully thats a passing impression.

I stopped reading GamesRadar's article as soon as I saw the author's honest confession of being a 'superfan' and switched to VG247's article, which seems less biased (if not nearly as well written). It confirms what I thought about the preview, which was only the intro of the game. It's sort of reassuring, but as the author puts it, it's getting as action-based as Mass Effect, which could indeed be polarizing.

The first trailer and this preview were really strange choices from BioWare. They must surely realize that not everyone trusts them implicitly with the games they produce? Maybe even less when we know this one has been rebooted and has just changed its title.

Anyway, if the story is good and the companions have enough depth, it could still be worth trying at some point, even if the game remains relatively linear (to be confirmed) and looks arcade-ish.

@soola, you were right about the wheel:
An ability wheel can be pulled up, of course, pausing combat temporarily to allow you to trigger up to nine skills - three for the protagonist, and whichever two companions accompany them. There will be a handful of skills beyond three available on an expanding skill tree that has three specialization paths for each ‘core’ class.

Last edited:
I stopped reading GamesRadar's article as soon as I saw the author's honest confession of being a 'superfan' and switched to VG247's article, which seems less biased (if not nearly as well written). It confirms what I thought about the preview, which was only the intro of the game. It's sort of reassuring, but as the author puts it, it's even more action-based than Mass Effect, which could indeed be polarizing.
Where are you getting the "more action-based than ME" part from? I was curious how that could be the case, so I checked the VG247 article. I see a couple quotes:

"the moment-to-moment flow of combat feels more actiony in a way that echoes Mass Effect"
"Mass Effect was always arguably the more action-driven BioWare series, and Dragon Age the more traditionally RPG. This feels like a step towards the Mass Effect sort of style"

Maybe you misread the first quote? Pretty certain it was saying it's more actiony than past DA's, not more actiony than ME.

That gameplay video with the combat sequences revealed my worst fears. After all the good news (no microtransactions/single player focus/character creation flexibility) I had my hopes up as well. The game is basically now an action brawler just like all the other action RPG's that have been released in the last 4-5 years. They are now competing against the likes od DD2 and all the action jRPGs like the new Crisis Core etc. The combat looks much worse than these games though. I also can't understand why there were 3-4 sequences in that short amount of gameplay of the MC having to walk the tight-rope. What the fuck does having to balance on obstacles have to do with Dragon Age?

What makes it special apart from the fact that it has the name dragon age? It had better have one hell of a story like BG3 or I can see it struggling to attract both the original fanbase and the large action RPG market. Assuming this is going to be a $79 game it is going to be a tough sell without some stellar launch reviews.

Last edited:
Where are you getting the "more action-based than ME" part from? I was curious how that could be the case, so I checked the VG247 article. I see a couple quotes:

"the moment-to-moment flow of combat feels more actiony in a way that echoes Mass Effect"
"Mass Effect was always arguably the more action-driven BioWare series, and Dragon Age the more traditionally RPG. This feels like a step towards the Mass Effect sort of style"

Maybe you misread the first quote? Pretty certain it was saying it's more actiony than past DA's, not more actiony than ME.
I did misread it, in part because the author insists quite a lot on the action nature of the game. Thanks! I fixed it.

The first trailer and this preview were really strange choices from BioWare.
Yep, I mean in trailers I would also want to show the variety of the game. So why only show a single 20 min sequence instead of something like 4x5?

The game is basically now an action brawler just like all the other action RPG's that have been released in the last 4-5 years. They are now competing against the likes od DD2 and all the action jRPGs like the new Crisis Core etc.
We don't know this yet, do we? I mean, we've seen combat, but we haven't seen what's in the game besides combat.

Yep, I mean trailers I would also want to show the variety of the game. So why only show a single 20 min sequence instead of something like 4x5?
Yes, that would be more impactful. Perhaps accompanied with some comments on the gameplay by the devs.

We don't know this yet, do we? I mean, we've seen combat, but we haven't seen what's in the game besides combat.
We saw some of the non-combat parts as well. We saw the main character balancing on planks to cross between platforms at least 3 times in that short gameplay - it seems to be a part of the game now. I suspect jumping and pulling yourself up to higher platforms will also be part of the game. We saw the MC destroying to terrain to get past it.

I don't get how there is literally thousands of negative posts on every single article/video/story out there about this new DA. Their community group has massively failed. The few members of this group that are trying to defend the game seem to have very little gaming pedigree apart from the fact that one of them is a twitch streamer and the other does cosplay. I mean for fucks sake - maybe you should have chosen actual real gamers to give you feedback rather than useless tards who only play games to get some likes/money or some other messed up reason?

The previous games were chapter based, right? I never finished any of them to be honest. The most I got was in Origins.

They weren't open world, but they weren't mission-based either? Mission-based makes it sound like you'll basically be going from quest to question, linearly? Or do you have the choice to do stuff in-between quests? I hope it's the former.

View: https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1800594782135410698

Dragon Age: The Veilguard will be Mission-Based Game, Not Open World"We believe that’s how we get the best narrative experience, the best moment-to-moment experience, Everything is hand-touched & hand-crafted, very highly curated"says director Corinne Busche.

View: https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1800618127354441844

On some better news, it's fully offline singleplayer. So that's good. Plenty of other notes in that twitter thread.

Last edited:
The previous games were chapter based, right? I never finished any of them to be honest. The most I got was in Origins.

They weren't open world, but they weren't mission-based either? Mission-based makes it sound like you'll basically be going from quest to question, linearly? Or do you have the choice to do stuff in-between quests? I hope it's the former.
Yeah I don't think many would have a problem with that as it is basically the same as DA:O and DA:2. Mission/Quest based would just mean the locations open up as you take/do quests. I imagine many will be gated behind Acts/Chapters same as the rest of the games. Not an issue as it allows for a tighter narrative experience.

That would be my assumption as well. If it's actually mission based, like a Commandos game..

Yeah I don't think many would have a problem with that as it is basically the same as DA:O and DA:2. Mission/Quest based would just mean the locations open up as you take/do quests. I imagine many will be gated behind Acts/Chapters same as the rest of the games. Not an issue as it allows for a tighter narrative experience.
If that’s how it is it’s fine. I was more worried it’s more of a linear action/adventure game, like Tomb Raider. Even that went more open world in the second and third rebooted games.

If that’s how it is it’s fine. I was more worried it’s more of a linear action/adventure game, like Tomb Raider. Even that went more open world in the second and third rebooted games.
It is possible that it is purely mission based though. Looking at that location in the trailer it doesn't feel like the kind of area you would ever come back to (the falling buildings etc). The other games did have locations that sealed off as well due to plot reasons so it could go either way.

From that Twitter post above:
There is a hub area for the player like Skyhold and the Normandy, called The Lighthouse
I would put my money that it is DA:2 style hub and you choose when you decide to go to locations to tackle quests/missions in the order you want. If it is a hub with sequenced missions with areas you can never go back to like Alpha Protocol/Dishonored 1&2 then there is going to be a lot of angry people.

It sounds good to me. Then again, if nicely worded features were the reality of how a game will play out, Starfield would have been the best game of all time instead of the decent but unremarkable "just the same Bethesda as always" that it turned out to be. My stance is still an optimistic "wait and see". I'll very likely play it on day one, but without expecting it to be the best thing since bread came sliced.

Back
Top Bottom