Dragon Age: The Veilguard - Overview

Are you referring to my post, that link, or someone else?

No offense it's just hard to tell sometimes. :unsure:

@Farflame your correct Dragon Age Inquisition began development as an online game.:nod:
Not to you, to the claims that it was designed as a MMO.

And incase it's going over anyone's heads, there is an abysmal difference between a multiplayer online game and a MMO.

For example, Monster Hunter is a multiplayer online game.
World of Warcraft is a MMO.

It's possible that DA:I might have been thought out as a Monster Hunter type of game at some point early in development, or probably as something closer to a Baldur's Gate 3 online co-op campaign. The article itself quotes "getting back the feeling of playing Baldur's Gate as co-op". That's still a vastly different thing from a MMO.

Last edited:
Not to me and others who prefer SP offline games like they use to release. Anyway whether it's an MMO or just needs a connection to play off a server I despise both.
"It was a Dragon Age game, multiplayer only, that was in development before Dragon Age II came out. That became the core of what became Dragon Age Inquisition, the techlines, more than any of the development, so we've actually been looking at [multiplayer] a long time."
So MMO and multiplayer only are ultimately the same thing to me. :poop:

Moving on he said nothing wrong but maybe could have worded his post better.

Last edited:
@Farflame your correct Dragon Age Inquisition began development as an online game.:nod:
There's actually nothing in that article that confirms what he said. It just says the game started as online-only and then moved to online-optional later on. No mention of MMO. The vast majority of online-only games aren't MMO today, and weren't in 2014 either.

It's amusing that it's discussed in that article that they were trying to emulate Skyrim to some degree w/ DA:I. BioWare can't stop chasing trends for the last 20 years. If DA:V started development today it'd probably be emulating BG3.

So MMO and multiplayer only are ultimately the same thing to me. :poop:
It may be the same shit to you, but it's still a misnomer, there's a M there that stands for "Massive". Many people hate MMOs and love Monster Hunter, Deep Rock Galactic, or Phasmophobia. They have nothing to do with one another.

I understand what you mean, regardless.

I understand your point as well. I've said everything I wanted to. Anything else is pointless like you said opinions are worthless online. So I agree with your first post as well.

Inotherwords, you're a firm believer in the Joxer Definition™ :LOL:
Damn yes I'm a firm believer of the Joxer Definition™

A few of my tenets are different though.

1. I'm fine if multiplayer is an option, and your not forced to play SP off a server.
2. If you game is just MP with no offline SP I'll spit on it and burn it with holy fire.

Joxer thought Co-op was MP and I don't cause I play SP and alone not on a server.

Would you like to know more. It'll cost you $12.99 though.

Now I'm done as I couldn't resit throwing in a little humor. :rotfl:

Well I wont be buying this day one but will buy it when all DLC is released.

Might buy it on a cheap sale or get it for free on Epic one day as well. :unsure:
Well, much smarter than me as I will pay full price at release but probably won't do a full play through until all DLC is out unless it deems itself worthy of multiple playthroughs when I try it at release. I actually had a brain fart this is an EA game and I have a subscription, so I'll get it at release anyway.

Well, much smarter than me as I will pay full price at release but probably won't do a full play through until all DLC is out unless it deems itself worthy of multiple playthroughs when I try it at release. I actually had a brain fart this is an EA game and I have a subscription, so I'll get it at release anyway.
Man I forget EA had a subscription plan. Last time I paid for that was when it was still Origin. Does anyone know if it will be on Gamepass? As that's a valid option as well. :unsure:

Man I forget EA had a subscription plan. Last time I paid for that was when it was still Origin. Does anyone know if it will be on Gamepass? As that's a valid option as well. :unsure:
A standard EA sub is included in Gamepass. I imagine this game will be EA pro for awhile and then move to the standard EA sub so you may have to wait awhile.

There's actually nothing in that article that confirms what he said.
Sorry, but it confirms my point. It confirm that it was multiplayer-only RPG. I also remember that term MMO was used by ppl at the time, and the game itself is often called SP MMO (after redesign, of course). Yes, it was probably more or less misleading what ppl wrote, but it was based on this info that devs confirmed. In usual debate the difference between MMO and MP-only doesnt matter because usually ppl who dont like MP dont care about it. Maybe i should avoid the term MMO and use MP, yes, but it wasnt big deal for me as its clear that I was merely talking about their design approach - how they started with MP and eventually later switch which is not as easy to do. I didnt try to write how exactly the game looked like or prove that it was definitely MMO or something. That wasnt the point of my comment.

I think that most Watchers understood it.
There was no need for some individual(s) (not by you) to switch to personal attacks and mix make up stories and probably real stories about me or others or whole forum just because opinion police dont like some info or opinion.

I think that most Watchers understood it.
There was no need for some individual(s) (not by you) to switch to personal attacks and mix make up stories and probably real stories about me or others or whole forum just because opinion police dont like some info or opinion.
I don't see how anyone could play DA:I and not come to that conclusion. Every location has a buch of MMO-style quests that are repeated across every location in the game. A truely horrendous respawn mechanism where mobs can endlessly spawn in overland maps without even leaving the map. The MMO style item and crafting system - similar systems have now sadly become part of nearly all SP cRPG's even games like BG3.

The game itself would have been half decent without all that nonsense.

I actually don't mind the move to more action combat. I felt that DAI had a subpar RTWP system and an equally subpar action combat system. I would much perfer that they pick a direction and make 1 good combat system. I would also have preferred that be RTWP but I think it's been clear they've wanted to move away from that.
Yeah, while I would prefer a different combat system, DAI combat was agonizing, especially with mouse & keyboard. I've rarely fought with a camera as much as I did playing DAI. If they can excel with this system, it will improve the game overall.

Hard to see how having a 3-button hotbar and not being able to control companions is going to "improve the game overall". Unless you are really into these kinds of dumbed-down RPG-lites...

That said, I'm pretty sure most people play these recent DA games (anything after DA:O) just for the story anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter as much as it might seem.

The fixation with the number of buttons in the hotbar seems weird to me. The Witcher 3 or Mass Effect had less buttons in the hotbar and are acclaimed as some of the greatest and most beloved RPGs in history. Elden Ring, Horizon Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim... I must have missed the hotbar in Fallout New Vegas that made it the most complex and entertaining Fallout of all time, but it's possible those are all dumbed down RPG lite games.

For what is worth, I agree some of those games being dumbed-down RPG lite games, but it never has anything to do with the hotbar having 1, 3 or 17 buttons. Many of those also were released as PC-only games for years before they were converted to console, which also makes void the argument about being made with consoles in mind and PC versions suffering for it.

Last edited:
That said, I'm pretty sure most people play these recent DA games (anything after DA:O) just for the story anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter as much as it might seem.
Yep, combat is only one part of the game. If the rest of the game is great, combat can be mediocre for the game still to be good.

giphy.gif

I knew there would be agreement on the Witcher 3 being a good example of a well-made dumbed down RPG lite game that the new DA can follow.

Back
Top Bottom