Dragon Age: The Veilguard - Preview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I feel like it's two steps forward and two steps back everytime I read, or watch a video about this game. So please at least be decent, and don't ruin the IP once again.

I feel like it's two steps forward and two steps back everytime I read, or watch a video about this game. So please at least be decent, and don't ruin the IP once again.
I'm not sure if it's ruined, but it's certainly morphed into a game I'm no longer interested in. Certainly appreciate others still are.

I'm more concerned with what's about to happen with Mass Effect.

Last edited:
The real question I have is how Varric ends up being best buds with the main protagonist in 3 different Dragon Age games now. With the protagonist being different in each game. Is he just really unlucky?

It's quite obvious Varric is the true protagonist and story teller of each saga.

It's quite obvious Varric is the true protagonist and story teller of each saga.
Yep, in DA2 he was literally the storyteller, and it felt like he was the real, non-playable, main character in the DA:V preview we saw as well. Varric is the guy doing things, and you (the protagonist) are only there because he recruited you.

I think his presence in DA:I was explained pretty well, too. Wasn't just a random coincidence that he ended up with the new protagonist.

I like Varric, and I feel they know a lot of people do, so they used him as the anchor to get players back into the saga. A little old writer's trick, that I hope will work for the best.

With reservations, I'm still hopeful to play a good game, even if I've pretty much given up on the idea of it being anything close to a CRPG.

I think the relationship leveling is really interesting; that a companions morale affects the combat mechanics.

I know many of us dig on JRPGs often/lately but I’d almost expect this idea to first be in a JRPG as companion-forward features like this often are inspired from those games. I’m thinking of FF7 influence on BG2 in particular here.

Didn't they have this kind of relationship leveling in DA:O? I don't really bother with relationships, but I remember that your companions got bonuses (or gave them to you or something or that sort) if they were close to you. So I was close to everyone :p

Didn't they have this kind of relationship leveling in DA:O? I don't really bother with relationships, but I remember that your companions got bonuses (or gave them to you or something or that sort) if they were close to you. So I was close to everyone :p
Yes. You had to keep exhausting all the available dialogue with them while at camp, and everyone had certain gifts they liked as well.

I wasn't a fan of it. I thought it felt like busy-work for the most part.

Yeah, it was a chore, but I thought "for once there's actually a game mechanical reason to romance someone!" Usually I just find the dialogue tedious and kind of skip through it (had that with Starfield recently - *click*click*click* - now get outta my face! )

Sounds like this is (hopefully) an iteration above DA: O So let’s hope it’s not as chore-like. I agree about gifting certain items being chore like but if it is done lightly (Shadowheart with a certain flower in BG3) it seems more thoughtful.

Presuming the companion quests are what unlock relationship/morale points, it sounds like a move in the right direction to me.

Yes. You had to keep exhausting all the available dialogue with them while at camp, and everyone had certain gifts they liked as well.

I wasn't a fan of it. I thought it felt like busy-work for the most part.
Yeah, it was a chore, but I thought "for once there's actually a game mechanical reason to romance someone!" Usually I just find the dialogue tedious and kind of skip through it (had that with Starfield recently - *click*click*click* - now get outta my face! )
Sounds like this is (hopefully) an iteration above DA: O So let’s hope it’s not as chore-like. I agree about gifting certain items being chore like but if it is done lightly (Shadowheart with a certain flower in BG3) it seems more thoughtful.

Presuming the companion quests are what unlock relationship/morale points, it sounds like a move in the right direction to me.
There was an approval system in DA:O (and DA2, actually), but I don't recall there being any mechanical effects from it, other than some companions leaving if their approval was too low. I may be misremembering.

At any rate, I exhausted companion dialogue just because I enjoyed talking to them, not worrying too much about where their approval ended up. Never felt like busywork, but different strokes for different folks.

There was an approval system in DA:O (and DA2, actually), but I don't recall there being any mechanical effects from it, other than some companions leaving if their approval was too low. I may be misremembering.

At any rate, I exhausted companion dialogue just because I enjoyed talking to them, not worrying too much about where their approval ended up. Never felt like busywork, but different strokes for different folks.
Yeah I like companion dialog too to dig more into a game. I’d say for the games I’d like this is a pretty common mechanic so it’s fun and interesting to see it go in new directions. I’ve liked companion-centric mechanics since at least BG2. I’ve also probably gotten myself into trouble with it in Pathfinder: WotR with romancing Arushulae; I thought of the dialogues as coverage paths and probably went down a wrong path too many times that made her want to be friends although I’ve also read I was probably too lawful rather than chaotic in my alignment as well.

Good points above but Mass Effect was way worse then the Dragon Age games.

Didn't the ending of Dragon Age change depending on who you romanced, or was that independant? My memory is blurry, I do remember sleeping with certain character affecting the ending majorly.

Yeah the ending was dependent on certain quests, and what choices you pick in the end. Each ending had a different slide, and Morrigan's was the best ending.

You broke up heartbroken with her pregnant or joined her through the mirror, but that meant betraying the wardens. There are other examples as well that affect sequels.

I never felt a strong allegiance to the Wardens myself, not after the joining and knowing the end coming. I tend to take the good path but had absolutely ZERO qualms with giving Morrigan her baby (even if gay I was like sure, it'll be worth it this one time for my BFF), and saving my own life - w/out sacrificing someone elses in the process (and no way would I let Loghain die a hero's death, that asshole was beheaded and should have been buried in an unmarked grave). I also felt in my gut that baby was important, very important, and wasn't evil.

I liked going through the mirror with her, thinking maybe somewhere with her I would find a cure for the darkspawn rot, but for my cannon I let her go on her own and went with the magic that she used also purified my warden in the process. I'm all about happy endings :p

Back
Top Bottom