Dragon Age: The Veilguard - Reaction @ Mortismal Gaming

GameSpot thinks it is good for newcomers:

I wonder if this means Mass Effect will now be a turn-based, iso strategy RPG? Either way, I'm looking forward to that sequel now much more than this one.
Would be a funny April Fools joke no? Anyway wouldn't surprise me. :rotfl:

Can't see them doing it with Mass Effect but wouldn't surprise me if they give that kind of game a try somewhere. After all, it's gotta be extremely embarrassing that the RPG of the Decade so far, BG3, is a sequel to BioWare games, but that they never would have been trusted to make.

There seems to have been a wave of something that has made the decision makers at whatever level in so many games devs make horrendous decisions. this, sega and CA, battlestate games, sony and helldivers.

There seems to have been a wave of something that has made the decision makers at whatever level in so many games devs make horrendous decisions. this, sega and CA, battlestate games, sony and helldivers.
decision makers are politicians not artists. I think its a natural self destructive path of hiring woke agents

Well suits and shareholders ruin everything. =)

I watched the gameplay video they released... and stopped about 8 to 10 minutes into it. Is it me, or does the game seem really boring and even a bit generic? Thoroughly unimpressed.

I get we can only judge what we’ve seen but have we really seen enough to pass such negativity? For the record if we were overwhelmingly positive I would question that too. I mean really you watch 8-10 minutes of gameplay and decide the game is boring and generic? There isn’t a game made that I couldn’t pick out 8-10 minutes of boring gameplay.

Everyone will react how they want of course but, I guess I’m more at a place where I meet games were they are. Meaning just because they aren’t exactly what I want doesn’t mean they can’t still be good. I’m interested in seeing more info.

Right, but would you choose to put it in the trailer? ;)
True, I did wonder that. Why put a trailer together with a character with only one skill? I'm hoping it's just a poor decision and not because they don't have anything else to show. I did see a video (don't remember who, that said BioWare said the game is content complete and they are just bug fixing. No idea if it's true but if it is why not show some footage with more skills and combat options?

I see both sides, but I still don't think there's enough info to be overly negative or positive at this point. Just my opinion of course.

I see both sides, but I still don't think there's enough info to be overly negative or positive at this point. Just my opinion of course.
Yep, same for me.

We have to keep in mind that this Bioware is not the Bioware of old. Even I keep forgetting, and have certain expectations according to those. But I assume most of the devs of old have long gone. And this is just marketing, using their image of old.

Honestly, I was never much impressed by Bioware's track record after Baldur's Gate 1/2. I never got the huge hype around either Mass Effect or Dragon Age. They felt like decent games, but nothing groundbreaking. Personally, I think even Piranha Bytes's games are more enjoyable.

Mass Effect 1 I stopped playing after I saw the same teenager plot premise, making you part of those Shadows or whatever, just to tickle your player ego. And then I saw the exact same premise with the Grey Wardens. There's something really immature about them always wanting to make the player part of a badass group, just to make you feel important. So that rubbed me the wrong way from the start. Previous to these, I think the last Bioware game I enjoyed and completed was Knights of the Old Republic. I'm probably among the lesser SW fans, but I still enjoyed it. Neverwinter Nights I could never finish, it got so boring. And I tried it about 5+ times now. I think I finished Jade Empire; that was ok, serviceable.

So, I maintain that Bioware peaked with the Baldur's Gate games. And the Bioware of now is so far removed from that, that it's not even worth diving too deeply into it.

Been offline for a week now only to come home to this trainwreck of an announcement in my newsfeeds.

No idea who the core customer base for this game is supposed to be. Sure, DA might have a great setting, but we're not seeing much of that in those trailers. Instead, instantly unlikeable MOBA-style characters in chaotic, twitchy ARPG combats with lots of early 00s-style neon "magic" effects plus some dynamic (well, the camera sure is...) dialogue scenes with a great choice of pithy one-liners.

I can't imagine the classic RPG crowd going for this after BG3. Far too much dialogue for ARPGers. Not the right aesthetics for even "modern" JRPG fans (modern, as in have done away with TB combat). Certainly not hardcore enough for the Soulslike people. Who's left? Action adventure players?

Oh, well...

I can't imagine the classic RPG crowd going for this after BG3. Far too much dialogue for ARPGers. Not the right aesthetics for even "modern" JRPG fans (modern, as in have done away with TB combat). Certainly not hardcore enough for the Soulslike people. Who's left? Action adventure players?
All the BioWare fans who hope the developer will do a come-back, maybe. It looks like the same formula they used for Dragon Age, but with more streamlining and even more console-friendly. It's not really different than other action RPGs.

It's a bit early to tell whether there's a lot of dialogue or not.

The gameplay seemed kind of boring, lots of flashy effects, fast paced, combat but quite repetative. Doesnt seem to require much skill from the player either. And where is the gore? The combat doesnt have much "Oomph". Feels like weapons dont have weight either. Reminds me of the button awesome.

Back
Top Bottom