Dune: Spice Wars News

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
What a surprise a new RTS Dune game is getting released. It's called Dune: Spice Wars and have 4X elements being developed by Shiro Games, the developer of Northgard.

Control the spice, control the universe. Vie for total domination of the spice in Dune: Spice Wars, an upcoming 4X RTS game set in the DUNE universe. What House will you lead to victory? Coming to early access 2022.

Last edited:
Wont get to excited as it's a different developer and genre from past games. Can't say I'm interested in the rumored survival MMO either. Just pure RTS please.

For reference I'm talking about the 4X mechanics as the old games were pure RTS.

Last edited:
Some early promotional screenshots as well.

Announce_StrategicMap.jpg Announce_Fight_2.jpg

Announce_Spying.jpg Announce_ArrakeenByNight.jpg

Announce_Orni.jpg Announce_Trading.jpg

More screenshots as your only allowed to post six at a time.

Announce_Sandstorm2.jpg Announce_Landsraad.jpg

Announce_Gameplay_2.jpg

If this really captures the various forces of the Dune universe well, I might have to check it out. I'll be watching to see what others think of it when released, thanks for the update as I'd heard nothing at all about this project.

I had so much fun playing the old Dune 2 rts, back then. Such epic battles that could last for hours. I haven't seen anything else similar except Total Annihilation.

These days, I think I would just enjoy a pure 4x game more.

Yeah man, that old Dune two game was excellent, I think maybe it came out near the end of '92? Gosh, I think I replayed that thing for a solid five years or more.

I'm a big fan of every game but Emperor of Dune is the only game I can get to play on modern systems. The other games require other non-trusted files to launch on Win 10.

I was aware that Funcom had aquired the Dune rights, but I was not aware they were acting as publisher for other developers. Interesting.

Dune RTS is fine and all, but i would love to see a game like Dune 1 again.

Dune RTS is fine and all, but i would love to see a game like Dune 1 again.
I wouldn't mind an adventure game with strategy elements based on the books again but I doubt most modern gamer's even know it exists. It was released in 1992 almost thirty years ago. It was the RTS versions that had a more profound impact on games.

Dune 2 was my introduction to RTS (I didn't play it until late 90s). Very addictive. I remember Dune 1 much before that as well, it was a pretty game for the time.

I enjoyed Northgard to a point. Hopefully their Dune game is a little better.

Dune: Spice Wars Early Access in Spring

Originally announced as a 2022 PC Early Access release, Shiro Games and Funcom today also announced that players can expect to make planetfall on Arrakis already this spring. The game will first launch into Early Access on Steam with several important updates planned, including the introduction of multiplayer, more factions, and a full campaign.

I'm not really sure what to make of that. Something seems a bit off with the animations and such relative to modern strategy games, but I can't really put my finger on it. Is it a bit slow? Janky? Is it just me?

I'm not really sure what to make of that. Something seems a bit off with the animations and such relative to modern strategy games, but I can't really put my finger on it. Is it a bit slow? Janky? Is it just me?

The graphics look low-poly and the colors are very soft. It almost looks cel-shaded. I'd prefer something more realistic.

Dune: Spice Wars launches in Early Access on April 26

Link - https://www.gematsu.com/2022/04/dune-spice-wars-launches-in-early-access-on-april-26
Along with the Early Access release, the fourth playable faction has also been revealed today as the Fremen. With a greater capacity to move across and withstand the open desert, less chance to attract colossal sandworms, and an improved ability to ally with hidden Sietches (neutral native settlements), the Fremen are uniquely poised to expand their area of influence in order to control the planet. Discover everything about the native desert survivors in today's new Fremen reveal.

Dune: Spice Wars Early Access Review

Overall, I'm very impressed so far with Dune: Spice Wars. There are some balancing issues with the victory conditions and espionage mechanics, as well as the kind of minor bugs you'd expect from early access, but it's a layered, clever, generally well-balanced RTS with strong faction diversity, and it feels more or less finished even in its current early access state. The map looks great, and forces you to make interesting decisions about its deadly terrain and even deadlier inhabitants. Most remarkably, it manages to lay a lot of complex systems on the table while rarely feeling overstuffed or overwhelming. If this is just the launching pad for our adventures on Arrakis, I look forward to seeing where this one eventually lands, and I have no hesitation about recommending that strategy fans jump in now.

Back
Top Bottom