EA - Looking for Buyer, Leak Claims

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GamePressure reports on a leak purporting that EA is looking for a buyer.

As reported by Puck News, EA has been in talks with the American media corporation NBCUniversal. The case even went to Comcast, the owner of the potential buyer. Ultimately, however, the deal fell through because the two companies were unable to come to an agreement.

However, EA is said not to give up and continues to look for a potential buyer. Among the companies that could take over the game developer appears Disney. Both corporations are linked by licensing agreements for the use of the Star Wars brand. According to the sources of Puck News Electronic Arts wants to strengthen this cooperation.

[...]
More information.

To me none of those potential buyers is desirable in the slightest. Who else would prefer to see EA IP being sold off to Embracer Group? At least we may see some new games out of old IP in that case.

To me none of those potential buyers is desirable in the slightest. Who else would prefer to see EA IP being sold off to Embracer Group? At least we may see some new games out of old IP in that case.

At least we would get a few remasters and new RPGs. Maybe more command and conquer games as well. As there are plenty of IP's EA is hoarding, or not interested in.

Sadly I don't think Embracer/THQ Nordic can afford EA.:(

It won't happen but whoever buys them should retire the EA name as payback for all the cool studios they closed during the years; ultimate karmic return :lol:
Would be the first decision I personally would make. Revenge sweet revenge.:cm:

I wonder what would happen to Origin should EA be purchased. I hope for it be dissolved but its more likely one of the big corps would want a similar service under their banner.

Wasn't there rumors Microsoft was shopping for more studios as well. As EA, their studios, and huge catalog of games would boost Gamepass. They can afford it as well.

A Microsoft acquisition could be cool. I have to say that I think they're doing a decent job with their other acquisitions so far... but then EA has set such a low bar that anyone else looks good in comparison to them.

I wonder what would happen to Origin should EA be purchased. I hope for it be dissolved but its more likely one of the big corps would want a similar service under their banner.
Hopefully what happened to Bethesda's useless launcher; common sense prevails, it's shut down and the games get launched normally on Steam/GOG.

A Microsoft acquisition could be cool. I have to say that I think they're doing a decent job with their other acquisitions so far…

Those other acquisitions might be a problem. If Microsoft tries to buy too many of the large publishers the antitrust people might get involved. They've already had that stick shoved up their ass once; I doubt they're looking to repeat the experience.

... And the big ones become even bigger ...

Those other acquisitions might be a problem. If Microsoft tries to buy too many of the large publishers the antitrust people might get involved. They've already had that stick shoved up their ass once; I doubt they're looking to repeat the experience.
Depends on the FTC and I foresee many legal battles with future accusations. Recently Disney, Comcast, and a few other businesses have felt the legal ban-hammer.
… And the big ones become even bigger …
It's the law of business nowadays especially with smaller companies. Anyway take Disney they own a majority of industries and technically it's not labeled a monopoly.

This. MS has to appear harmless until the ActiBlizz deal is through. They can hardly risk buying another big publisher now.

Another point is that the EA C-level guys want to sell the cake and maintain control of it. This is more likely if EA is taken over by a company from a different business, like Apple, Disney or Amazon. Then EA could lead their new games branch.

I'm glad that I'm slowly phasing out of gaming anyway. What is produuced these days doesn't interest me anymore (with Indies being the only exception to it).

I'm glad that I'm slowly phasing out of gaming anyway. What is produuced these days doesn't interest me anymore (with Indies being the only exception to it).
I've felt that way for years, I miss being excited for new console generations or the next pc game engine but there's still plenty of indie goodness and I'm hopeful for Embracer/THQ to start showing some interesting titles in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom