EA Marvel Partnership & Iron Man Announced

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I loved comics growing up, but I've never had much interest in superhero games. Off the top of my head, Arkham Asylum is the only one I can think of that I liked to any degree and even that I find quite flawed.

Superheroes are like cuckoos. They won't rest until they've wormed their way into and dominated every industry, and they don't succeed at doing so because they're better than everything else, they succeed because a bunch of nerds can't get enough of the shit they liked when they were 12.

(Disclaimer: I have liked a bunch of superhero movies and superhero comics in my life; the difference is that I think variety and creativity is actually important, and I don't want a homogenized, souless mass to be the sum total of entertainment options)

Not much different. I like them mainly in comics. I have enjoyed a few movies but I don't watch movies much these days, maybe one movie every 2-3 years. I mainly read and play games for my entertainment.

I did enjoy COH though when it came out. It was fun being a super hero in that game. But at the time it was new and somewhat refreshing from all the fantasy MMO's I had played.

No interest in this one or the Midnight Suns one. Hopefully some folks will enjoy them though.

I love comic books, read them for almost fifty years, yet, to date, the only superhero games I've actually enjoyed have been the Freedom Force games and City of Heroes. The rest just were awful. And don't even get me started on just how terrible the films are, I mean, you cannot have Civil War without killing Captain America, you cannot tell the tale of Days of Future Past without explaining what the Hellfire Club is, etc. It's like the movies want to mine a few good parts yet not tell the actual stories that matter.

I loved comics growing up, but I've never had much interest in superhero games. Off the top of my head, Arkham Asylum is the only one I can think of that I liked to any degree and even that I find quite flawed.
The two Freedom Force games were amazing.

edit: noticed after I posted that Carnifex already pointed this out :D

I'm still fine with superheroes, though Batman needs at least a 10 year sabbatical.
When I go outside on a hot day, I can still hear Diablo saying, "turning up the heat!"

Yeah, the Freedom Force games are pretty good. Well, I've only played the first one, but I liked it.

I guess I meant games based on actual comic IPs like DC and Marvel.

Speaking of the Freedom Force titles, I wish someone would remaster those. They're getting pretty dated at this point.

I didn't read comics as a kid (apart from Donald Duck) - so I don't even have the nostalgia.

It's not that I dislike superhero movies or games - as some of them are good, and a few are great.

I think my main issue is the absurd level of market saturation - due to the utter lack of creativity and innovation from the people who own the franchises.

On the other hand, if people keep playing these games and watching these movies - then what's the incentive to be creative or innovate? I can't quite blame the suits for all of it, as the consumers seem more than happy to keep consuming the same stuff.

The recent Spider-man is a very good example of a game I *truly* don't understand in terms of appeal.

I mean, sure, it's a competent game that plays "fine" - but it's also the billionth game of the exact same kind using the exact same characters.

How can that be received so very well? I just don't understand it.

Then I remember the success of EA sports games - or why people around here are happy to play endless iterations of Baldur's Gate.

From that perspective, it's not that complicated. People like what they know - and they feel comfortable repeating the past over and over - as long as it's the pleasant past.

Speaking of the Freedom Force titles, I wish someone would remaster those. They're getting pretty dated at this point.
And do something to keep the custom superhero from turning into a deity. By the end of the game, the story characters would just sit at the entrance while my custom would go win the battle alone.

Back
Top Bottom