Elden Ring - #6 on the most played Games List

You could probably go a long way with a greatshield. Just hold up block. There's a new block-counter ability where after you block you can press heavy attack to do a counter. Doesn't require as much twitch as dodge, but, also, panicked dodge roll spam can go a long way. There's plenty of opportunity to build up your power by just running around picking up upgrade stones, raiding all the mines, etc. Then you can even summon some spirits to help with the bosses. Or even another player, if you can be quick enough to summon him before someone else does.

I haven't finished the game, but I found most of the bosses to be pretty easy. The only one who gave me a bit of trouble was ummmm…. Starscourge Radan or something. I almost beat him first try but then did worse on all the following attempts and decided I'd come back later with a faster weapon with some bleed on it. The fight was much easier with a +14 uchi which worked well with my STR build because I could chuck a Heavy flavour on it. Until that point the Golden Halberd you get off the knight at the start of the game carried me pretty well.

That halberd had be thinking they gave you the best weapon in the game right at the start. :D

Oh, also, that godslayer or godskin boss was a fair struggle but I was way under-leveled when I ran into him. Was quite a marathon to whittle him down and lose 90% of my HP if I took a hit, but I leaned heavily on a greatshield for that one and just dodged his fireballs. :)

Everybody can bash whatever game they want and as much as they want, but let's not go into personal attacks because of the preference that people have or have not for certain games.

I can understand blockbuster, high profile games like Cyberpunk 2077 and GTA V being on that list, but many of the other games listed I either have zero interest and/or never heard of 'em.

Anyway, I really don't put much value in popularity when it comes to what games I like in the first place.

As I commented on the Steam forums, if I had to choose between Elden Ring or Elex 2 in terms of my gaming interest, I would choose Elex 2 ten out of ten times (easily).
I don't care how popular Elden Ring is, or how unpopular Elex 2 is, when it comes to games I'm personally interested in to play. (shrug)

Removed by Myrthos: My post could be read as a request, but it wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes me want to play it. You are have articulated very well what I hated most about Dark Souls when I played it so many years ago. It is great that Elden Ring appears to take full advantage of the flexibility that going open world has to offer and that it mitigates many of the Dark Souls negatives. If you are a fan of Gothic 2 that is also a big plus in my book as it is one of my favourite games of all time.

I have to say too that now only is the open world enormous, but it feels incredibly hand crafted. Games like Sykrim and Witcher have vast open worlds too but they feel more like vast open procedurally generated spaces with hand crafted points of interest that you stumble on. Elden ring does have some wide open spaces too, but overall it's world feels more like a giant handcrafted outdoor dungeon, where almost everything is a point of interest. That's what makes me enjoy exploring it more than any other open world game. You never know when you will stumble on a game changing item, a completely new game mechanic, or of course, something out of your league that massacres you.

Also, there is a day and night cycle that matters, it changes certain encounters, and it makes certain things happen (or not), which helps the world feel immersive and worth exploring.

I can understand blockbuster, high profile games like Cyberpunk 2077 and GTA V being on that list, but many of the other games listed I either have zero interest and/or never heard of 'em.

Anyway, I really don't put much value in popularity when it comes to what games I like in the first place.

As I commented on the Steam forums, if I had to choose between Elden Ring or Elex 2 in terms of my gaming interest, I would choose Elex 2 ten out of ten times (easily).
I don't care how popular Elden Ring is, or how unpopular Elex 2 is, when it comes to games I'm personally interested in to play. (shrug)

Ha..I already know my tastes are crap compared to the average gamer. When I was young I wanted to play everything. Now that I'm middle aged my tastes have narrowed.

Anyway the top lists are always good for a quick look to see how the industry is trending. So I easily predict more Co-op live service and Souls-like games incoming.

Oh well..

Even though I'm not a fan of Souls-like games, I'm feeling compelled to try it out. :)
Maybe I'll have to read some reviews/check a few videos, something I didn't even bother to do before, when regarding this kind of game.

The Dark Side of the Force is calling me...

I'm jealous. I have no twitch skills and cannot play this game or any DS clone, really. I may watch a thorough let's play at some point, just to see what I missed. If I can find a voice I can tolerate. I hate cursing, accents, high pitched male voices and several other irritants when it comes to video. Wonder if Morgan Freeman plays it or James Earl Jones :) I don't know if JEJ is still kicking.

Of course I hope you give it a shot at some point, first and foremost. But if you never do, a couple of Let's Players to give a shot (I personally find them reasonably pleasant to listen to) are FightinCowboy and Chronos.

I think maybe you do care how popular Elden Ring is. I think maybe you avoid it 10 times out of 10 precisely because it's as popular as it is. It's an impulse as old as time, or at least as old as identifying oneself as unswayable by the masses.

Also, there is a day and night cycle that matters, it changes certain encounters, and it makes certain things happen (or not), which helps the world feel immersive and worth exploring.

That's a great idea, of course, but it's also an almost overwhelming thought to me... I already slightly battle a feeling of missing out because I don't turn north and look at such and such rock face or wind through the fog shrouded forest on precisely such and such path, but add onto that the possibility that I might miss something because I looked at that rock face or wound through that path when it was day and not at night? Oof.

Oh well..

Even though I'm not a fan of Souls-like games, I'm feeling compelled to try it out. :)
Maybe I'll have to read some reviews/check a few videos, something I didn't even bother to do before, when regarding this kind of game.

The Dark Side of the Force is calling me…

Praise the Sun!

I may watch a thorough let's play at some point, just to see what I missed. If I can find a voice I can tolerate. I hate cursing, accents, high pitched male voices and several other irritants when it comes to video. Wonder if Morgan Freeman plays it or James Earl Jones :) I don't know if JEJ is still kicking.

You can almost always find a silent playthrough of any given game on YouTube. Just type "no commentary" after the game in the search bar.

I'm jealous. I have no twitch skills and cannot play this game or any DS clone, really.

You can always focus completely on magic, and hit from a distance. Magic and Faith-based builds are often considered 'OP' by DS purists because they often require so little effort (lock on target, spam your memorized spells, drink mana potion, repeat). The only real trick is to find the good spells, but there's no shame in using Youtube to make the game enjoyable for you. You can summon AI creatures or NPC's or other co-op players, let them do the tanking, while you blast from afar.

You can almost always find a silent playthrough of any given game on YouTube. Just type "no commentary" after the game in the search bar.

I suspect he meant he prefers them with commentary, but likes to find one with the right commentary for his tastes, because that's what I do. Watching someone else play a game in complete silence is weirdly eerie IMO, it's just very soulless, if you'll excuse the pun.

Is the lore better in Elden Ring than Dark Souls? I'm talking about the notes/flavour text you find throughout the game. Dark Souls was like DA:I books - full of pointless stuff vs meaningful content that you had to read like System Shock. Do they give you tips on where to go, how to beat a monster or where to find a weapon etc?

Is the lore better in Elden Ring than Dark Souls? I'm talking about the notes/flavour text you find throughout the game. Dark Souls was like DA:I books - full of pointless stuff vs meaningful content that you had to read like System Shock. Do they give you tips on where to go, how to beat a monster or where to find a weapon etc?

Exactly the same. And not pointless, though its practical application is limited.

There are, however, specific tips on where to find some things that you can buy from vendors so maybe you would like that.

I suspect he meant he prefers them with commentary, but likes to find one with the right commentary for his tastes, because that's what I do. Watching someone else play a game in complete silence is weirdly eerie IMO, it's just very soulless, if you'll excuse the pun.

I didn't actually mean silent so I probably should have worded that better. I want to hear the music, sound FX, etc, which is why I can't stand hearing some stranger talking over it.

Some videos with commentary are ok because the person knows when to talk and when not to, but far too many of them just drone on constantly.

You may be right about crpgnut wanting commentary though. He's weird like that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom