Elden Ring - New Footage

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Wccf Tech has reported that new gameplay footage was being shared online by Xolara; there are currently 11 new short videos to peek at.

Elden Ring New Footage Showcases New NPCs and More

New Elden Ring footage has been shared online, showcasing some new NPCs and more.

The new footage, which has been shared on YouTube by Xolara, provides a new look at three NPCs that can be encountered in the areas featured in the Closed Network Test but were disabled in the build provided to the testers. As always, avoid watching these videos if you want the game to be a complete surprise for you when it launches next month.

[...]
More information.

Still seems buggy. Looks like the mounted rider should have been able to enter that building. Hopefully they address it in the release.

Lue.

Still seems buggy. Looks like the mounted rider should have been able to enter that building. Hopefully they address it in the release.

Lue.

This is footage taken from going out of bounds in the "cracked" network test client.

It's not even buggy its just not the game. :)

Some more, this time on magic spells.

I suppose it's for fans who crave any bit of news regarding the game, so maybe I shouldn't report too many of those. :)

I'm not sure how "great looking" those spells are. The general consensus is that Elden Ring is somewhat underwhelming from a visual standpoint. Probably because it was originally designed to run on the PS4 and Xbox One.

I have to agree with that sentiment. I think the game is very interesting from an artistic perspective, but on the technical side, it looks last-gen.

I'm not sure how "great looking" those spells are. The general consensus is that Elden Ring is somewhat underwhelming from a visual standpoint. Probably because it was originally designed to run on the PS4 and Xbox One.

I have to agree with that sentiment. I think the game is very interesting from an artistic perspective, but on the technical side, it looks last-gen.

All of their games have been. None are ever visually cutting edge, but all have fantastic design. I'll take that every day.

All of their games have been. None are ever visually cutting edge, but all have fantastic design. I'll take that every day.

Not cutting edge, but I think they were at least on par with other games of those generations. Elden Ring looks a step behind imo.

I had the impression those last videos were tests and gave a good idea but didn't entirely look like the final product. On the other hand, I see that the release is supposed to be in 1 month...

Reviews will give a better idea, it'll come soon enough.

An open world game with Dark Souls mechanics?

Why does anyone automatically assume this is a winning combination?

I mean, it could be good - but I'm seeing CP2077 levels of hype based on very little.

Sure, there was a technical preview - but nothing in it was particularly noteworthy to me.

I'm sure it's going to be a good game - but maybe certain people should calm down a little :)

I’m full steam ahead on the the hype train.

Not for the open world though. I’m actually disappointed they decided to add it. They could have release DS4 and 5 in the time they’ve been adding this unnecessary feature imo.

I’ve seen enough of the atmosphere and combat to know I’ll love it though.

All aboard the hype train! @sakichop;

I think the fact this games been in development for over twice the time that DS3 was is a good sign. Sure, the open world might be unnecessary for making a great Fromsoft title, but it will be something new and just exploring whether it works or not will be almost as fun as exploring the world, itself. :D

Yep, combat looks like souls with jumping, which can only be a good thing.

I wonder if some of those spells are boss moves because we've all seen that flower effect from one of the trailers. If it's not a boss move then it's 100% going to be a spell you make from her soul.

The magic doesn't look that great, though. I'm sure it will tactically have potential to be easy mode, same as always, but a lot of them just seem like giant weapon swings in spell form, which is pretty boring.

Also, a lot of them seem a bit too random to be dependable. The storms, the lightning. Even that new Fire Snake looks extremely easy to dodge in PVP if the damage is done from the explosions. Those ones were not officially in the network test, anyway, and some of the ones that were actually looked pretty decent. Especially that claw kinda miracle. But, again, those classes can't possibly be the launch classes because the stats on the "Arcane Knight" shield were far too good to be a starting item. I think it had 60 stability, or whatever, which puts it pretty close to the best medium shields available in DS3 with the Old Knight Shield @ 62, I think it was. The one from the area down the broken rope bridge near the giant worm thing. :)

Last edited:
If they (finally) implement proper co-op - I'll give it a shot.

Who knows, maybe this will be the Souls game that finally teaches me why punishment for the sake of punishment is a good thing.

I always assumed it was a Catholic thing or something.

Who knows, maybe this will be the Souls game that finally teaches me why punishment for the sake of punishment is a good thing.

I always assumed it was a Catholic thing or something.

:lol:

I played Dark Souls once for about 5 hours. I was semi enjoying it and I died on my way back to a boss. Then I died again trying to retrieve my soul (or whatever you have to do in that game) and I ended up losing a whole chunk of progress and I promptly uninstalled the game. I remember it having a cludgy save system as well and that losing progress without being able to save whenever I want was a deal breaker for me.

why punishment for the sake of punishment is a good thing.

I ended up losing a whole chunk of progress and I promptly uninstalled the game.
There's a life lesson to be learned!

We all die, we all lose our souls.

The difference between someone who wins or loses is which emotions you let control you.

Do you wallow in despair at what you've lost and give up or do you leave it in the past and push on with determination?

If you're going through hell - keep going! :)

:lol:

I played Dark Souls once for about 5 hours. I was semi enjoying it and I died on my way back to a boss. Then I died again trying to retrieve my soul (or whatever you have to do in that game) and I ended up losing a whole chunk of progress and I promptly uninstalled the game. I remember it having a cludgy save system as well and that losing progress without being able to save whenever I want was a deal breaker for me.

I actually love that mechanic. I like the tension it creates. I've spent a number of agonizing moments in front of a fog gate with a large amount of souls wondering whether to go back and cash them in or risk that a boss and probable death await me beyond the gate. Then you get another does of tension hoping you don't die before retrieving your souls.

I also like the save system as well. It gives consequences to your actions rather than pressing f5 before every fight or tough decision. I actually like it so much that I've self imposed it in other games I play. No spamming f5, live with the consequences of my actions. The one exception is when I've spent an hour selling and buying gear and organizing my inventory. Doing that over is a consequence I don't want to pay.:)

There's a life lesson to be learned!

We all die, we all lose our souls.

The difference between someone who wins or loses is which emotions you let control you.

Do you wallow in despair at what you've lost and give up or do you leave it in the past and push on with determination?

If you're going through hell - keep going! :)

Sounds like wisdom for the people slightly less lazy than I ;)

Sounds like wisdom for the people slightly less lazy than I ;)

Well, the good news is, as confirmed in the recent interview, that Elden Ring will have a very accessible story and much lower difficulty compared to Dark Souls.

Usually they'd be talking about how the new game still has the series difficulty that the fans expect, but for the first time they've made a point that it doesn't and they're trying to appeal to a wider audience.

Easy Souls confirmed. The perfect Souls game for the lazy!

It doesn't have to be less difficult, just less sadistic.

As in, I like meaningful challenges more than I like trial-and-error pattern learning. However, I do realize that Souls fans consider the latter to be meaningful to them - and that's cool.

I feel the same way about high-end MMO raids or, say, Rockstar mission design to a lesser extent. Most of my guildies back in my WoW days felt raids were very meaningful - and they were pretty proud when we defeated X boss.

It's that kind of design that's meant to force the players to learn patterns that you can't really predict (unpredictable patterns = close to 0% skill involved when adapting) - and so, instead, you either get really, really lucky - or you die a few dozen times until you understand what's going on, and then the challenge is trivialized. Well, or you look up the fight on YT and make an already meaningless challenge even more meaningless.

The kind of challenge I personally prefer is one that's more about optimizing my build (strategy) and then executing my plan with as few errors as I can (tactics). I found that, in the Souls games I've played, you don't really need much in the way of an optimal build and tactics are trivial once you learn the patterns of enemies.

This is not only a little boring - it also involved a ton of wasted time reclaiming lost XP and what not. This is pretty much the worst kind of challenge I can imagine in a video game - especially considering how opaque the lore is and how exploration is all about fighting little glowing orbs in mostly empty areas. This means the actual content rewards are pretty bad as well.

But that's me :)

But, anyway, if that's what they've changed - that sounds great.

Last edited:
You know, in an old interview, Miyazaki was questioned about the difficulty. They asked whether he got some sort of sadistic pleasure from making the game so punishing. He said, "A lot of people are very good at games, much better than I am. I just trust in the player."

This isn't a game designed to punish you and make you feel bad. It's a game that trusts in your abilities and wants to make you feel like you've achieved great feats.

Miyazaki respects you too much to go easy on you.

Back
Top Bottom