Elden Ring - New Gameplay Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Game Informer has some new gameplay video for Elden Ring.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a big one. Join Game Informer's resident Souls expert Dan Tack, along with Marcus Stewart and Alex Stadnik, as they show off some brand new gameplay from Elden Ring, the hotly-anticipated open-world outing from masterminds behind Dark Souls.
More information.

Sure looks pretty but hard to find a game I have less interest in then this one. Good news for those who enjoy this type of gaming though.

Seems like a lot of people are already writing this off before even trying it.

I couldn't get into the Souls games, but this looks just different enough to make me want to give it a shot.

Seems like a lot of people are already writing this off before even trying it.

I couldn't get into the Souls games, but this looks just different enough to make me want to give it a shot.

On rpg watch? You don't say....

I would really like to like this game. I mean, it obviously has a high production value, it looks really nice and I guess the things it does, it does well.

But if is my impression is correct, it's above all an action game. I just can't find any motivation to play just to do combat. And I don't see anything in there that otherwise motivates me.
Can I somewhere read what the plot behind all that is?

This is not a game I will be buying, not into big monster fights, looks very boring. (shrug)

There are many games where I will be on the fence or there will be things about it I don't have enough relevant experience to judge whether I might like a feature or not. Other times I can get a good feeling based on videos, articles, reading, etc., on whether it might be a game I would enjoy or not. I don't have an infinite supply of cash so I can purchase every game that comes out and try it.

So there has to be a balance on what I spend money on. Some games I will take the risk if there is enough unknowns about it. Others I have to make an assessment and decide if I want to take the risk or not. Nor do I have the time to play every game that comes out.

Based on what I have read and seen about this game there is nothing in that material that appeals to me besides the pretty visuals.

Personally I do not think it is unreasonable, then, to make a decision about whether I would want to purchase something in this case since I have to balance cost and time with what games I know I have a stronger interest in.

If, down the road, more information comes out that changes my mind then I will change my mind. At the moment, however, everything I have seen is very unappealing to me and I have zero interest in the game at this point based on what information I do have.

More people should stop by to post about how they're not interested in it.

I mean, it makes sense to let everyone know that you're not interested. ;)

More people should stop by to post about how they're not interested in it.

I mean, it makes sense to let everyone know that you're not interested. ;)

Oh that is what you meant lol ... well that is tradition here ... you know to go and shit on games other people like or might like. Although I did try to indicate I hope others enjoy it and that it simply wasn't something I would be interested in.

Course I could just stop commenting and posting in the forums all together. I mean why do people post anything but to try and add discussion and feedback both good and bad.

I try not to over think too much when posting as I would almost never post and forums don't do well when people start deciding not to post.

After 10 hours with Elden Ring, I'm not sold on the open world - PCGamer
Maybe Elden Ring is the rare game where the destination matters more than the journey. In the Network Test I had free reign to explore in any direction I chose, but before too long I'd run into a fog wall that penned me in—FromSoftware's way of holding back the full experience for next February. Within the corner of the open world I could explore, Elden Ring never conjured that feeling of going on a journey, of crossing immense distances and looking back with awe at how far I'd traveled. I did circle back to that golden knight a few hours later and kill him with a half dozen magic attacks, after piling points into my faith stat and finding a much better shield. But that was a short ride and an easy win, not an achievement dozens of hours in the making.

Without puzzles or quests, maybe sheer scope and variety and the doomed majesty of FromSoftware's decaying fantasy aesthetic will be enough to make its open world as memorable as Lordran or Yharnam. Maybe there are more small dungeons out there with surprising depth not found in this first area. FromSoftware rarely likes to show off its best material ahead of time—I hope that the key that gives its open world purpose is out there beyond the fog wall somewhere, waiting to be discovered.

Oh that is what you meant lol … well that is tradition here … you know to go and shit on games other people like or might like. Although I did try to indicate I hope others enjoy it and that it simply wasn't something I would be interested in.

Course I could just stop commenting and posting in the forums all together. I mean why do people post anything but to try and add discussion and feedback both good and bad.

I try not to over think too much when posting as I would almost never post and forums don't do well when people start deciding not to post.

I was just poking a little fun, and it wasn't directed solely at you. I hope you didn't take it the wrong way.

Hyped games always get a wide variety of comments, including people who aren't interested for whatever reason. I'm just a little surprised that Elden Ring seems to be getting more than the usual in that way.

IGN has a different opinion about the level design…

Elden Ring Hands-On Preview With the Closed Network Test
What’s especially impressive about this Closed Network Test is despite how I was walled into a relatively small zone, there was still so much to explore and discover. From hidden NPCs to bosses just roaming out in the field, to a pack of extremely tough enemies that you could attempt to farm for weapon upgrade shards, to a plot of land where lighting continuously strikes leaving electrically charged rocks that you can scrounge up. It felt like every five minutes I would encounter something that made me go “what the heck is that?!”

And then there are the dungeons and catacombs that are hidden throughout the world, much like shrines in Breath of the Wild. These dungeons varied wildly in their design, with some including just two to three rooms, a handful of enemies, and a boss fight at the end. Others required a torch to see the enemies and hazards within; and others still were decently large, multi-leveled caverns, with some surprises for long-time veterans that I don’t want to spoil.

I’ve put almost 15 hours into just this Closed Test alone, going through each of the five starting classes and putting them through their paces, and I’m still having a blast. If the full version of Elden Ring continues to match the quality of open-world design found within just this first area, then we’re in for a very special game come February of next year.

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-hands-on-preview

I stopped watching videos of Elden Ring after the 5 first minutes of the first official gameplay video they released to avoid spoilers, but yeah, it looks certainly like something I will enjoy a lot.

Hopefully, it won't be too buggy and glit-- oh wait. This game is made by talented professionals. Sometimes I forget that's not always the case.

When I read that the open world is pretty empty and exploration is largely boring, I lost the rest of interest I initially had.

BTW, what was GRRM's involvement exactly?

For me, exploration is one of highlights of From Software games. Its meaning is not limited by literal meaning of "whats behind the corner", but it also includes exploration of gameplay mechanics, exploration of hidden context between items, places, characters, enemies. I cant think of other game, where I would approach the world and new things in it so carefully. If I find item without apparent use, I look for clues before I actually use it. I might be reluctant to hit new enemy if it just stands there as it might be NPC, etc. And some actions are hard to take back, or it might not be possible at all. Game usually signals that to you, but it also usually doesnt stop you. Thats From Software exploration to me and Im thrilled to se what they prepared for me in Elden Ring.

When I read that the open world is pretty empty and exploration is largely boring, I lost the rest of interest I initially had.

BTW, what was GRRM's involvement exactly?

IIRC GRRM's contribution was to work with From Software on the lore of the game world. However, I don't think he has any involvement in the main story of the game. I could be wrong.

IIRC GRRM's contribution was to work with From Software on the lore of the game world. However, I don't think he has any involvement in the main story of the game. I could be wrong.
Your correct he wrote the lore and history. The story was handled by From Software.
"The game is called the Elden Ring and it's a sequel to a video game that came out a few years ago called Dark Souls," Martin said. "My work on it was actually done years ago. "Basically they wanted a world created to set the game in, they wanted worldbuilding."
  • Miyazaki and Martin simply met to hang out at first, as Martin knew about Dark Souls, but later it evolved on the business front when Miyazaki eventually asked him to be involved.
  • The game was already planning to be open world before Martin got attached, but him being added to the project reinforced that direction.
  • Martin did not write the actual story for the game, but he “constructed the world” it was based on, as indicated in previous teasers. One concern was that if Martin did write a full story they may have to change it later in production due to the demands of the game, which is something they didn’t want to do.
  • Rather, Martin was tasked with making the “mythology” of the game, the foundation of the world itself.
  • But if it sounds like Martin didn’t do that much, Miyazaki expressly says that Elden Ring’s world wouldn’t be possible at all without Martin, and he says he’s crafted a combination of a myth, historical fiction and an epic poem.
  • The player character does not have a set personality, and merely exists in Martin’s world as a descendent of the exiled Tarnished, the “unblessed” people in the world who do not have the blood of god-queen Marika running through them. The game has multiple endings, and there are “very few” bosses that actually must be defeated, and the structure of progress is largely dependent on how the player wants to tackle the game.

Seems to me that the dragon in the beginning should have been merely tickled by the puny club, and the horse and rider should by rights have been a red smudge on the ground after the first hit by the dragon.

Of course, the above is true for a great many games with giant enemies.

So, if I understand things correctly, it is mandatory to express your lack of interest in Elden Ring as often as possible in every related news thread, am I right? :biggrin:

OK, seriously, I have lost the tiny little amount of interest I had in the game after checking a few of the hands-on previews that are floating around the web now.
The only reason I was slightly interested at all was the fact that initially there was talk of the game deviating significantly from the Souls formula but that does not seem to be the case at all. Every preview I have read or watched said it is very much a Souls game (one video said it's 80% like Souls).

Well, and that makes it a "ludus non grata" in my household. I hope that everyone who enjoys this type of game has fun with it.
It's just not for me, though I generally like 3rd person open world games a lot, but not if they have checkpoint/bonfire saves, infinite respawns, no story/quest content worth mentioning and clunky controls with extra hard formulaic combat. Just no. Many of the things I hate all packed into one (type of) game. Hard pass.

Back
Top Bottom