Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
The recipient of every major ""Best RPG of the Year"" award, The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall revolutionizes the world of role-playing games, creating a new standard in 3D graphics and role-playing expansiveness. The second chapter in The Elder Scrolls, Daggerfall contains, literally, hundreds of hours of gameplay. Prepare to experience your new obsession.

Starting off in Daggerfall can overwhelm the senses. No other game has such a huge world to explore. Travel around a land mass twice the size of Great Britain, exploring dungeons, castles, tombs, and even alternative dimensions. Just to walk from one end of the world to the other will take over 2 full weeks in real-time (we actually tested this!) Converse with over 750,000 characters that inhabit this world. Daggerfall is a game that sets new boundaries with over 200 hours of gameplay. It's no wonder that it took almost 3 years to develop this epic game.

You can literally do anything you want and go anywhere you want. Join a guild and climb in rank to become a respected member of a Knightly Order. Become a spy and infiltrate the royal ranks, and even rebel against your own king. Become a thief who slips in and out of the shadows and steals the rare treasures of the world. There are six different endings, if you choose to play out the main story quest, but ultimately the life you choose to live will be a unique experience that no other gamer will encounter.More information.

Ouch. Reading the DFU homepage it appears the steam version is actually the original Dagerfall release and doesn't even have the official patches. It won't even work with DFU unless you manually patch it first.

Bethsoft are just plain lazy. How could they not even include their own patched version?!?!

Yeah, it was lazy of them to do that. Though I did went through the trouble of setting up my steam version to use the unity version.

I only spent around 2h with it, and from the little I spent my main takeaway is that it's very similar to Morrowind, and the main difference is that Daggerfall seems to be slightly more sophisticated mechanically and in what skills it allows, and the world which is a whole lot bigger, but also feels a lot more generic and empty, since I hear it uses a lot of random generation of content. Also, it also suffers from a lot of old design and clunkyness, which the unity version tries to smooth over.

Otherwise it seems very similar. But again, this is from very little time spent. I would love to read a short comparison between Morrowind and Daggerfall, from someone that loves both of them.

The biggest difference of Morrowind and Daggerfall are the size of the dungeons. Many Morrowind dungeons feel like little earth-holes in comparision to the big Daggerfall dungeons.

The biggest difference of Morrowind and Daggerfall are the size of the dungeons. Many Morrowind dungeons feel like little earth-holes in comparision to the big Daggerfall dungeons.

Ok, that sounds like it could have a lot of potential. And are they interesting dungeons, with hidden areas and puzzles and the like? The only dungeon I explored fully was the first one you start in, Privateer’s hold. And while the size of it was quite large, especially for a tutorial dungeon, I did get a bit bored since I only found one thing of interest.

It varies. In some Daggerfall dungeons I spent days of playtime to solve them.
Normal Daggerfall dungeons were made with a generator (there a hundrets of them) the main story dungeons are hand crafted.

I would love to read a short comparison between Morrowind and Daggerfall, from someone that loves both of them.

I love both of them but for me Morrowind wins out and is a much more polished experience. Morrowind has way less bugs and a much more immersive world. Yes, it is simplified somewhat but nowhere near as much as Oblivion and then Skyrim. It still has enough "meat" in it's design to satisfy most hardcore cRPG lovers. The expansions for Morrowind are also great. The main dungeons for Daggerfall are better than the Morrowind ones for sure though but the dungeons are not the star of Morrowind - it is the overall world.

The first time I played Daggerfall I lost about 15 hours of progress because I only used a single save slot and I got to a point where I was completely stuck due to a bug. If you are going to play it then use multiple saves!

Daggerfall is still one of the best open-world sandbox RPGs. But I recommend the Unity port that comes with many patches that are not included in this Steam version.

Where can we get the Unity version? Is it free?

And check nexus too, never knew it has tons of mods

Daggerfall Unity has been on my PC for a LONG time. I'm about halfway through it and every now and then I play more of it for a couple of weeks while waiting for something else to interest me. It's still a great game which I played and finished when it first came out.

So, i got out of that damn first dungeon but then i ran for 10 minutes and did not encounter anything besides trees and rocks lol; i wil pass it for now, maybe i will be in the mood some other time.

So, i got out of that damn first dungeon but then i ran for 10 minutes and did not encounter anything besides trees and rocks lol; i wil pass it for now, maybe i will be in the mood some other time.

"16 million square miles"

Daggerfall was always the wet dream for the "bigger is better" folks. Never mind that it's 16 million square miles of cut and paste.

I love when marketing says you can do "whatever you want" in a game but there's a tiny, constrained range of things to do, and go "anywhere you want" but everywhere looks the same.

I'm glad BGS figured it out. Morrowind is a great game that I play to this day.

You are expected to use the quick travel option to immediately go to the nearest city, NOT walk there in the wilderness!! :)

You are expected to use the quick travel option to immediately go to the nearest city, NOT walk there in the wilderness!! :)

Yeah, it says so in the tutorial if you choose to follow it. But I was really surprised that it was pushing you to fast traveling straight away.

Back
Top Bottom