ELEX - Delayed to Q3 2017

PB was always pretty damn odd as developer. Where's that famous German organization and punctuality? :p
As a german I say that german quality was (and partly still is) in industrial products. "We" were very strong in the industrial age but are only average in the information age. We failed to keep up.

There's a reason why some of the world's most successful car companies come from Germany while we have no really successful software companies (besides SAP perhaps).

I'm sure there are still managers and politicians in top positions who think that the internet thing will be over in a few years.

I have no experience with german car companies or german software but I have a Grundig radio.
In one moment (don't ask how) it felt on a floor from 2m height and pieces of it were all over the place. I've gathered them all and tried to reconstruct the damned thing, it was an ancient "junk" but was still working and it was basically a heritage. Or nostalgia. Whatever.

I couldn't put everything into it's place. Many small parts, not screws but things that look like chips and whatever electronics I simply didn't know where to put back.
But even without those things, once the radio was plugged back, it worked! In fact, it's still working after all these years (I remember we had it since always, so it has to be older than 50 years) but I'm not listening to radio any more so it's gathering dust.

That's what I call quality. Not iPhone bendgate nor Samsung batteryexplosiongate.
Back in the day my Nokia 3310 worked after so many torture I've put it through, I thought Nokia is a german company.

Well, I'm totally okay for delaying this game, as so many great games coming out nowadays, I have absolutely no time to play another one.

Zelda BoF, Horizon ZD, Nier Autoamata, Dragon Quest8, Yakuza0 are sucking out my precious life essence at an alarming rate.
... even poor Torment must wait for its turn to be played... :)

They should avoid MEA launch date as the plague, not try to compete with it imho, 'cause they'll lose get stomped badly.

They should avoid MEA launch date as the plague, not try to compete with it imho, 'cause they'll lose get stomped badly.

Not just ME:A, but as I mentioned, a bunch of top-tier games are coming.
Compared to these, ELEX looks very outdated - and not just on the visual front.
What I have learned about the game, it has absolutely NO selling point compared to the new releases.

It could be a good game, mind you, but right now ELEX is facing a very problematic launch.

What I have learned about the game, it has absolutely NO selling point compared to the new releases.

It's got that jetpack attack, mind you. :p

Your logic is flawed.
The only game that can launch at the same time as ME4 and not be swallowed is GTA6. And it ain't coming.

Current state of Elex aside, releasing anything on PC next week and a week after that is a suicide.
It doesn't even matter if ME4 is good or bad.

Your logic is flawed.
The only game that can launch at the same time as ME4 and not be swallowed is GTA6.
TES6 or FO5 would play in the same league I think.

Your logic is flawed.
The only game that can launch at the same time as ME4 and not be swallowed is GTA6. And it ain't coming.

Current state of Elex aside, releasing anything on PC next week and a week after that is a suicide.
It doesn't even matter if ME4 is good or bad.

Yup, joxer, you are still thinking on PC only ;) Like it or not, PC sales alone are simply not enough nowadays (need proof? see inXile's desperate attempt at releasing Torment on consoles)

Currently, Horizon ZD enjoys a massive launch on PS4, and Zelda BoF is coming up nicely for a second place (WiiU/Switch)

Both games are classified as RPGs, mind you, and both games are top of their class.
Horizon is absolutely the most gorgeous game I have ever seen on any platform (take that, ye PC elitists!), and Zelda BoF is already considered a historical landmark in gaming by about…. hmmm… everybody.

So, these are the giants ME:A has to compete with.
Thus the Million Dollar Question: is the ME brand remains strong enough for a fourth sequel, or will it be another expensive flop like the recent "strong sequel games" like Watch Dogs 2 / Dishonored 2 / Titanfall 2?

… and getting back to ELEX: as you can see from the above, the first half of 2017 is not particularly good date for a B-tier Euro-RPG release.

PC sales were enough for Stardew Valley. PC sales are not enough only for garbage.

Also, how come noone told me 9 dragons is revived but turned into pay2win scam and is now available on Steam? Nostalgia, yes, I'd play it, but they can't milk these.

It could be a good game, mind you, but right now ELEX is facing a very problematic launch.

What do graphics matter in a game like this? And why would it be competing with ME:A and other "top-tier" games when it's a totally different type of game? o_O

I hope the game does very well for PB but I imagine like the Risen series it's going to be a somewhat niche AA title. Which is fine, they make original RPGs that are not like other games out right now. To say it has no selling point is a bit odd considering the world of ELEX itself is unlike any other we've seen in terms of lore design, as well as the overall PB-style RPG design, etc.. Those are 2 huge selling points for me and people who like these types of games. :)

To think this will match up with ME:A or something is a bit far-fetched. But hey, if PB sells a few million copies that would be great. :)

Zelda BoF, Horizon ZD, Nier Autoamata, Dragon Quest8, Yakuza0 are sucking out my precious life essence at an alarming rate.
… even poor Torment must wait for its turn to be played… :)
That's why I want it to be this year. This shaping up to be one of the best years ever for RPGs and PB needs to be a part of it! To hell with profits, we're talking history! ;)

How did I miss that?!

Never heard, never heard, ah 10 hours needed to finish the game then rince repeat the whole playthrough for next of 26 endings - a new definition of grind, never heard, never heard.

Then again, I'm one of those old farts who was getting excited on hardware progress for decades while spitting on junk. Is my species on brink of extinction?

PB made history with their first openworld regardless of what you think. For better or for worse. Can they repeat "fresh" style with Elex? Dunno. Depends if they'll use the current hardware capabilities or will suck up to phones.

What do graphics matter in a game like this? And why would it be competing with ME:A and other "top-tier" games when it's a totally different type of game? o_O

I hope the game does very well for PB but I imagine like the Risen series it's going to be a somewhat niche AA title.

Guys, hard to say that, but you are living in the past.

ELEX is an RPG, hence it is compared to the RPGs out there.
Mind you, I'm using RPG as per an Evil Company Executive's definition.
Therefore: Diablo is RPG, Horizon is RPG, Zelda is RPG, Skyrim is RPG, Fallout 4 is RPG, Mass Effect is RPG, Final Fantasy is RPG, etc, etc, etc. So if I would release an RPG, my game must be compared to these.

Compared to these mega-blockbusters, our dearest role-players are practically non-existent. WL2, Pillars, Divinity, etc are fine traditional RPGs, but sporting very mediocre sales, compared to, say, ME - which is universally hated by the hardcore RPG community.

The tendency is that Average Joe simply does not accept the intellectual challenges this genre asks for. Average Joe just want to have Simple Epic Fun (coined by me) for his money. (All big brand RPGs are considered to be dumb by hardcore RPGer standards.)

What I wanna say: like it or not, traditional RPGs are not selling well.
Don't be fooled by the Kickstarter records and other bullshit - these games are relatively low-budget niche games, serving a very small fanbase (yup, that's us: repeat very small fanbase)

Also don't be fooled by niche successes: Gothic, Risen... etc were never great successes. They were cult hits, barely enough to support its developer (see PB's troubled history) Problem is that creating a niche success is not enough anymore I'm afraid, and I fear that ELEX will be the last game from PB. (Hope I'm not right)

What I wanna say: like it or not, traditional RPGs are not selling well.
Actually the good ones are selling quite well relative to their budget...as an example, Divinity: Original Sin, made back its budget several times over and Larian got filthy rich off of it. Not everyone is targetting the same scale of returns, and they don't have to, since they are smaller companies who aren't planning on making AAA games anyway. At the end of the day, their employees get paid, the owners (ideally) make profit, and that's all that's needed.

Problem is that creating a niche success is not enough anymore I'm afraid
Just 100% completely wrong. There's people out there getting stupidly, ridiculously rich off niche successes today.

… To say it has no selling point is a bit odd considering the world of ELEX itself is unlike any other we've seen in terms of lore design,…

That's a bit of an over-reaction in my opinion. It's quite similar to Sword of Shannara, which is about 40 years old.

… Those are 2 huge selling points for me and people who like these types of games. :)

Huge selling points? They've shown none yet. No one knows what does ELEX excel in. It's certainly not the awkwardly solid, heavy combat.

Last edited:
How did I miss that?!
Never heard, never heard, ah 10 hours needed to finish the game then rince repeat the whole playthrough for next of 26 endings - a new definition of grind, never heard, never heard.

Then again, I'm one of those old farts who was getting excited on hardware progress for decades while spitting on junk. Is my species on brink of extinction?

Well, I'm an old fart too :)
My old fartness factor: still have wet dreams of playing D&D with weirdo friends while chomping on Pizza Hut junk and listening to Jethro Tull on vinyl when I was about 11 (hey, I still remember my first embarrassing erection too - gramps not senile yet, hooooraaay! :D )

Seriously.
I think the biggest mercy, we poor dumb Homo Sapiens have, is curiosity.
Be open, do not be afraid of the future.
It took me about 10 years to get into console gaming, and guess what: I have practically all console systems along my PC - and I love'em. Love'em all, 'cause I'm a gamer, and it does not matter on what system I'm playing my dear beloved games.

I'm not a gamer. Never wanted to be.
I'm a PC gamer. Being also a graphics whore came with the job. But I like that particular whoring type.

maxresdefault.jpg

5aa.jpg

pic.jpg

Although this second one should go in the thread I'm explaining things to JDR about PS:Torment, but sadly the pic is not about writing/combat. In PC games. Yea.

Back
Top Bottom