ELEX - ELEX 2 Confirmed

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
World of ELEX reports that ELEX 2 is confirmed:

ELEX 2 confirmed

The german website Gameswirtschaft reports that the EU will support four german game productions this year with 500,000€ in total via the "Creative Europe Media" programme. One of the projects that gets supported with 150,000€ is ELEX 2. The company "AWins 2011 GmbH" which is named as the studio has the same address and the same managing director as the Pluto13 GmbH/Piranha Bytes. Thus, it's safe to assume Piranha Bytes will developed a successor to ELEX next.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

These govt subventions are getting interesting. First Cyberpunk now ELEX.

It's benefits from being in the european union. Don't forget UK said they don't want it, so perhaps there is a catch or their studios don't need more cash. ;)

They must be confident about ELEX. Good news I guess.

I'm happy for PB and unless ELEX is the first PB game I don't think is worth playing - then I'm happy for fans as well.

I still need to play Risen 2 :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, overall, Risen 2 is possibly their weakest game. Well, tied with Gothic 3 - I suppose.

But I still think both are worth playing and then some.

In fact, I've been considering a Risen 1-3 playthrough myself. Never actually completed Risen 2. I think I got distracted at the final island.

Well, overall, Risen 2 is possibly their weakest game. Well, tied with Gothic 3 - I suppose.

But I still think both are worth playing and then some.

In fact, I've been considering a Risen 1-3 playthrough myself. Never actually completed Risen 2. I think I got distracted at the final island.

Well, post about it in the Risen subforum. I am planning to play it after I finish my Shadowrun HK game probably, so it would be good to read up about how to build a character and your choices.

Regarding Elex, I am not too excited about it. I am way behind on my gaming backlog and so will probably end up getting it many years after it comes out.

The game looks cool though but I am afraid it won't be great.

These govt subventions are getting interesting. First Cyberpunk now ELEX.

Also, don't forget that such EU funds are excellent for certain shady tax optimization tricks ;)
All you need is a very capable accounting team, and... no game, no tax, just lotsa happy bookkeepers in the office!

Okay, let's not be snarky.
Wishing PB the best with their upcoming release.

Ugh. Risen 2 was highly enjoyable, and my fav of that series. It was creative and clever, in dialogue, gameplay, and environments. The other two were pretty good as well.

Gothic 3 was overly ambitious, buggy as hell (more so than usual), and NPC/community depth was lacking, as there was too much spread too thin. Still a lot of fun to play for some time. But that was the weakest of their releases.

Risen 3 was the first PB game I finished, but I'm pretty stoked for Elex. I'm indifferent to Elex 2, till I play Elex though.

( To me) Risen 3/Gothic III were by far the weakest. Second at least tried to do something outside their comfort zone, last one was too bland, by the book, without it's own charm, creative spark( The Shadows have return...zzzzzz).
They should have done full sci fi instead of reskin of same old, that is out of place, context in this setting. ( We are the Berserkers! We are so angry and we rage, and that's why we're berserkers.)

As for this, it's a big If how succesful Elex will be after disappointing Risen series...better they take a break, consider the direction of their games and develop or switch to a new engine instead.

I don't think the conventional explore and scavenge gameplay of an open worlder fits an SF setting very well. It needs you to believe in struggle and scarcity, which take some effort to justify in more advanced worlds. In ME Andromeda, I had my own spaceship but was still expected to search down the back of strangers' sofas for extra credits :/

I still need to play Risen 2 :D

Risen 2 is a good game. I'm not big on ranking good/bad in the series, but while most agree that Risen 2 was the weakest entry, it's still well worth playing. It has most of the classic PB elements in tact, and while the islands are not ginormous or anything, there is still interesting exploration and character systems to explore.

Risen 2 was also a rare case for me in that after finishing it at the 60 hour mark, I wanted more. Usually, for me, when RPGs get close to the finish line you start to feel it and are ready for it to be over. That was a rare one.

Risen 3 is also good but of course has some flaws. From what PB is saying they are correcting all the things that their core fans had issues with from the Risen series with ELEX, and ELEX will also be closer to a Gothic-style experience than Risen. So we'll see.

ELEX is also a rare one for me in that it's a day one purchase and play. I expect the usual PB experience probably turned up a notch or two in a huge, strange sci-fi world. In other words, a game I'll like. :)

I recently replayed Risen 1-3, and they really are quite good. The main issue is actually that Risen 1 -> Risen 2 is so jarring in terms of style, audio and gameplay. Risen 2 and 3 would probably work better on their own. It's especially annoying when characters show up with different voices or personalities, though I guess that might not be the case in the German version (they did this in the English version of Gothic 1 -> Gothic 2 with Lares and Diego, but not German as far as I know).

At any rate, the concept of ELEX is interesting, and I'm glad they're feeling confident about it, but I have to say the gameplay looks somewhat bland from what I've seen. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

IMO there is only one thing PB games need.
More humor. Much more. Even if it seems there is enough of it, no, more and more is needed! Bones alone is not enough!

I'm repeating this for years already and noone (from PB) seems to listen.

IMO there is only one thing PB games need.
More humor. Much more. Even if it seems there is enough of it, no, more and more is needed! Bones alone is not enough!

I'm repeating this for years already and noone (from PB) seems to listen.
Don't forget the mushroom guy in Risen 1 (Jorgensen). Hilarious.

Here's the dialogue for anyone who don't remember:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2xTxCKobjM

Good fun.

Back
Top Bottom