ELEX - English Translation: Andrew S. Walsh

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
World of Elex reports that Andrew S. Walsh returns to the Piranha Bytes team to do the English translation for ELEX:

In a forum post, Jenny Pakratz, one of the main developers of ELEX, has confirmed that acclaimed writer and director Andrew S. Walsh, whose previous collaboration with Piranha Bytes on the game Risen has received widespread critical and fan praise, is working again with our favorite developers, in order to deliver a new excilarating experience in ELEX.

"In Risen 1 Andrew S. Walsh over-worked the english translations, but he didn't work at Risen 2 or 3. In ELEX he already works at the translations, so i think it will be great."

Read after the break more details about Andre S. Walsh's career and his work on Risen!

Andrew S. Walsh's work has covered videogames, theatre, films and television, comics, and radio work.

During his previous collaboration with Piranha Bytes, he served as Lead Writer, dialogue and narrative consultant, and Voice Director, for Risen. His peer, Michael Paeck, from Cliffhanger Productions, had this to say about the project:

“I've worked with Andy on the English rewrite and the English voice direction of the dialogs of the game 'Risen'. The game is a massive single player RPG, so it was a complicated and big project for all of us. At first the Publisher and I had a general idea of where we wanted to go with this title, but with Andy on board the idea of just having a good localization developed into a living and breathing project that easily surpassed our high expectations. He did not only understand exactly what we were looking for in basically no time, he also worked hard, showed passion and believed in what we were working on. I can recommend him for any story work you've got, he's got the spirit.”

Among his many successes we count:

• Writers' Guild of Great Britain Award 2010 Nomination for Risen;
  • Winner of the 'Best Videogames Writer, 2009' Writers' Guild of Great Britain Award for Prince of Persia;
  • For his radio work, he won The Woolwich Young Radio Playwrights' Award in 1996
Thanks Farflame - you found some new concept art at WoE as well: The Outlaws

More information.

I agree, this is great news. Risen 1 english script, writing, dialog etc was really good quality. And quite amazing in retrospect how they managed to hire such a talented bunch of english actors! Those guys really delivered.

It seems the right choice because English translations of the Risen 3 was terrible.

He sounds very talented, I can see how this is great news. I never really thought about the translation differences in the Risen titles. Knew I would play them, no matter. I can see the biggest benefit would be, helping translate subtle humor and other emotions.

Thinking about it now, I did feel less attached to Risen 2 and Risen 3. It certainly could have been due to the translations.

Back
Top Bottom