ELEX - Gameplay Video

This looks like it's shaping up nicely. The world looks good: birds fly off as you approach, there's non-hostile wildlife, NPCs react to you drawing your weapon in front of them and I even saw a *gasp* female NPC! It reminds of the world of G3 (which is a good thing), only with contemporary and scifi elements mixed in.

On the other hand, blood splattering is overdone, though I guess it might be due to that saw-blade the PC is wielding. Enemies looked a little squishy too; that troll went down way too easily. And yeah, that hovering icon over the jetpack needs to go, it's distracting.

But all in all, looks promising for an alpha.

I hope that's a fairly early build, given that it needs a lot of polish (including missing textures etc). It does have a lot of potential though.

From what was said, Elex itself powers machinery, so I'd imagine Elex also powers energy weapons. Since that's also a currency and (by the sound of it) quest item too, my guess is that the system will be (to a degree) self-regulating. If you "hoard" your money, you'll have lots of energy ammo, but you'll need to spend it to level and acquire items/gear.

Remember that gold in Risen series was a pre-requisite for learning skills/abilities from trainers, and was often in short supply (early on). I'd imagine the same will be true in Elex - you'll be short of it early on, and will need it to expand your character, so energy weapons will be limited. Later on, all bets are off!

At 1:07:00 it just says 'up next Warhammer 3'??
It probably means Warhammer 40000 - Dawn of War III which was announced last year, but as Myrthos said above the other video version doesn't even mention it at all.

Combat looks boring to me. I don't like that it's in real time. Amalurs combat puts this to shame. You don't go for real time unless you can make it exciting enough and diverse.

Eh, I'm fine with "non-exciting" combat if it's more meaningful, has impact in a sense of surviving and challenge, and generally presents some strategic options. Gothic combat was "non-exciting" action combat but was still good, IMO.

Despite whatever you may think it is a game that delivered. I'm not a huge fan of its art style or setting, however many people have unfairly vilified Amalur over the years - mainly due to the fiasco that ensued and controversy around it - while failing to enjoy superb combat and progression.

As it appears right now, real time combat is not one of the strong points in ELEX.

Last edited:
Amalur respawned trashmobs. And chests. And most probably everything that no other game respawns.
You find that enjoying? Well, different people, different tastes I guess.

I'm sold. That is, the brilliance of Gothic 1 and 2 (and, to lesser extent, Risen 1) is enough to make me always buy a PB game.

It's funny to see that after all those years they still haven't hired an animation artist (or they're using the same person as in the past) -- the swimming animations are particularly funny. And the ridiculously telegraphed attacks... well, none of this will detract from the fun of playing in a new PB-crafted world, of course :)

Amalur respawned trashmobs. And chests. And most probably everything that no other game respawns.
You find that enjoying? Well, different people, different tastes I guess.

Lug1 wasn't referring to your hang ups on respawns. He was talking about combat mechanics and skill progression. I'd agree with him on just looking at the combat KOA's seems significantly better.

Having said that it is just an alpha stage demo so there's plenty of room for improvement and I expect Elex to be a much better game on whole than KOA. I hope so atlest..

I'm sold. That is, the brilliance of Gothic 1 and 2 (and, to lesser extent, Risen 1) is enough to make me always buy a PB game.

It's funny to see that after all those years they still haven't hired an animation artist (or they're using the same person as in the past) -- the swimming animations are particularly funny. And the ridiculously telegraphed attacks… well, none of this will detract from the fun of playing in a new PB-crafted world, of course :)

Nope, it won't detract from my enjoyment either. Honestly, they could keep Gothic 1 level animations and graphics and I'd buy a new game from them if it was made to be like that game. :)

I'll go one further and say I'm glad that they focus on other elements and not animations and graphics. IMO, those are resources that could be better used in a PB game to make the world more interesting and enhance the RPG stuff. To each their own. :)

Dunno, I don't watch videos for RPGs I haven't played yet as I want to be surprised when I play them. :)

Back
Top Bottom