ELEX - Gronkh Preview

Thank you for the info, Alistair!

I don't know what to think about this yet. I'm sure it's not gonna be bad, I mean i always enjoyed many parts of their games especially exploration.

It's just something that concerns me when i see those rough animations and the combat . It just feels identical to every other of their previous games.

Hopefully everything else will be good :)

I think I'm sold. It does look like a Gothic 3 / Fallout 4 hybrid, with the Andromeda jetpack in for the hell of it… So why not? It just looks like fun.

Lol fav quote "you are outlawed. This is very unusual in [PB] games. You never have started as outlaw."

Nope in Gothic 1 you aren't outlaw, only banned in an area and in this area you aren't an outlaw. You aren't outlaw either in any Gothic/Risen I played, it's cancelled by the factions approach.

But ok Im' not sure ELEX will be more outlaw at all.

For now it looks like some Gothic Fallout, and I don't see any hint how they could solve combats with both close range and shooting. Gothic was clear close range or painful magic management not shooting at all, Fallout 3/4 is clear shooting or painful close range management not really close range game. So Im' still very skeptical about this close range shooting mix. But the video almost sold me the game. Despite the Gothic I enjoyed the less was Gothic 3 the more Skyrim like Gothic, I'm still curious to see their Skyrim like clone attempt.

Moreover post apocalyptic without desert is a huge plus for me, at least some realism in post apocalyptic games.

Gothic was clear close range or painful magic management not shooting at all,
That's simply not true. Missile weapons were a perfectly viable approach in Gothic and especially Gothic 2. In fact, a dex-archery build is probably what I'll go for whenever I finally replay Gothic 2+NotR.

As for the "outlaw" idea, I think it is pretty clear that the Nameless Hero was thrown into the mining colony as a prisoner, though for what precise reason or crime I believe remained unspecified. Whether or not that counts as an "outlaw" or not is quite possibly semantics. It's been a few years now since my last Gothic play-through. Maybe someone who has played the game more recently could elucidate on any missing details.

I'll be very interested in reading the PB fan 'Watch reviews of Elex when it comes out.

Last edited:
Pessimeister is right. The hero is definitely an "outlaw" in the beginning of Gothic.
The same goes for the Risen series. The hero of Risen 1 + 2 is a stowaway aboard an official ship and in Risen 3 we play an infamous pirate captain so I guess that also makes him an "outlaw". In Elex you are "outlawed" because you are expelled from the Albs faction and if you wish you can cement this further by joining the actual faction that is called 'The Outlaws' :) .

You don't roleplay an outlaw neither in Gothic 1 nor in Gothic 2. The outlaw and prison aspect is only a background and at a meta level. In the world you play you aren't search and tracked by authorities for some crime you have done isn't it? So it's not outlaw. But ok wide prison escape for Gothic 1, perhaps. I never felt I was playing an outlaw like I could in some GTA or some Saints Row crap.

Arrows and magic is no guns/shooting gameplay, if they intend implement it like that, good luck to not look ridiculous.

There's no trying to explain anything to Dasale. :)

That might be a bit harsh, but his writings bear a striking resemblance to Chiens. Do they share native language? Dasale, where are you from?

Back
Top Bottom