ELEX II - Review @ ACG

I'm sure I will like it despite the reviews. Though, I start to wonder how long PB can keep up without improving their formula, and not addressing criticism all that much.

I think it is unfair to compare their games with modern game design which basically have no world state. Everything is reset the moment you turn your head, saves can be pretty small and easy, etc. If you load the same save twice in AC, the guards are positioned differently.

Gothic/Elex have it much harder, e.g., any item you drop will be there until the end, quests interact, etc. Such freedom and complexity potentially leads to many more bugs. Although I still expect a bit more polish on their end.

Pretty sure Elex 2 has already its public and those reviews won't change anything.
Hope than PB was not expecting to add a lot of new customers though..

While I am not worrying about graphics on a PB game, I am worried somewhat that in many places (as well as the ACG video) they mention that the world feels kinda empty. It's one of the things I really do not like in a open world game. I will get this for sure but I will wait a few weeks.

Other than the video performance assessment (I agree, all of PB's games after Gothic 3 have performed well), I think ACG's review was really well done. I watch most of his reviews and I think he is perhaps the best reviewer out there these days. Of course, I haven't played Elex 2 yet but his assessment seems pretty fair based on previous PB games (every other one I have played)...

Sometimes janky, not always polished but ultimately fun and willing to take chances or do things differently from other AA or AAA titles. He clearly enjoyed Elex 1 and seems found 2 fun as well - but even when he calls out things he finds disappointing, he's pretty good at contextualizing that and framing it as a personal opinion - not an absolute, and recognizing there are a lot of other players who won't feel the same way. Unlike true mainstream review sites like IGN, etc who make a pronouncement on games like it is the law handed down from god and there are no other perspectives.

I would like to vote that the word "janky" never be uttered again

I would like to vote that the word "janky" never be uttered again

Ha, I love that word. I like janky video games and, where I live, I and my friends like steep, janky mountain trails to bike down. And when I was a younger man, I even liked janky hanky panky. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom