ELEX II - Wants to be Mass Effect But Its not Working

I think the point she is trying to make is exactly that: Elex 2 is a Sci Fi Gothic 1 because PB is technically still there.
It's like they were playing some Game Studio game but had skipped entirely the tech tree part of the tutorial.

I tend to agree than it's not because the result is 'meh' than those guys didn't try to copy ME.

I have impression PB, as company, lives under some psychological complex which makes them, repeatedly, undertake projects of such scope that is beyond their resources (being experience, money or whatever). By going overboard and delivering unfinished or unpolished games, they are just loosing existing fans. My opinion.

People playing these games are fully aware what these games look like and how are played. You cant tell then anything new. That you dont get why other people like something you dont, thats just your issue Im afraid.

I do understand that people can like the game, and I like questionably average games too, just because they have the right combination of gameplay gimmicks that just resonate well with me.

What I don't do though is trying to decceive anyone about how the game is actually incredible, but everyone else is brainwashed and the whole system is rigged to hide the truth. I would sound a bit like a Flat Earther if I did that.

Yea, this is very silly argument. Apparently, people who like Elex are supposed to be embarrassed or something that Elex is supposedly trying to be or similiar to Mass Effect, ok, whatever. Beyond dumb...I have never wanted to play Mass Effect, always thought that game looked unappealing and lame, and I'm playing Elex right now so... next.

Pure click bait fake news.

There is a reason I never visit GamePressure because of shitty articles and writers like this.

Lesson learned again.

It is, and it's mostly stemming from one person that our moderators are choosing to ignore for whatever reason.

triggered-angry.gif

I clicked ignore after those 4 posts in a row but I can guess who you are talking about.

The mods seem highly inconsistent in their approach. I've had several quite on topic conversations recently that have been cut short by the mods but then this person can post multiple times about completely irrelevent things to the subject at hand. Troll-like posts that offer nothing useful. You really have to question the mentality of the person involved and how meaningful their life is if they waste their own time on such endeavours.

You really have to question the mentality of the person involved and how meaningful their life is if they waste their own time on such endeavours.

I had another response written, but what you just said there sums it up better than anything else. :)

Lighten up people!! I don't see where being either silly, or stupid are against our ToS. Just ignore and move on. Life is too short for me to get all lathered up over trivialities. I enjoyed both Elex games, didn't care much for ME; so what!! We are supposed to enjoy games, they're supposed to be fun and an escape from the angst of the world, so don't bring that angst here. Now, get off my lawn!! :)

Being silly is one thing, but when someone is spamming the exact same message across every PB thread multiple times with the same ad hominem attack i.e. PB fans are too old and they don't know how good modern games are/flat earthers it pushing it a step too far. At least let them make a decent arugment why not?

We are mostly PB fans here and to have the constant attacks (with zero actual meaningful content) it actually causes exactly what you have just said Corwin. We come here to have light hearted discussions games and how good they are (or are not) and read some reviews. Not for a barrage of troll posts.

Anyway, I will certainly remove myself from your lawn now :) This thread has reached it's conclusion from my perspective anyway.

To be fair, and to stay on topic.
Regarding the comparison between Elex II and Mass Effect II.
I don't think it's that far fetched.
Game A is a scifi RPG shooter with a relatable story arc, NPCs and enemies.
Game B is the same, but with some different systems and controls.
Esentially, the same thing, but wearing a different mask and 1/10th of the talent.
Remember that we are comparing here AAA talent with a B+ jank at best.
Elex II does what it can, and that's probably why it has a few fans.
Deep down, even I can appreciate that.

I've been lurking on this thread with some kind of punishing yet morbid fascination. I will just say that Elex 1 is really fun and mostly well designed. Several other previous PB games can fall into that description, give or take, with varying results depending on who you ask, even among fans. I haven't played Elex 2 and I'm not inspired to, and maybe it's a dud. That doesn't take away from Elex 1, or that PB won't make another fun game in the future. I get the vibe that Elex 2 is strongly disliked by someone who paints that picture over PB's entire lifetime output.

I never played a Mass Effect game btw.

If one or more people need a safe space where only people that meet certain qualifications, on top of the TOS, are allowed to post, I'd be happy to create such a thread and see to it that posters that do not have the necessary requirements or that do not post in line with what is expected in that thread, will be removed from that thread.
I am not kidding.

In the rest of this site the TOS applies, which means anyone's behavior, choices, habits and preferences can be criticized, the old, the young, the newbies, the wise and wrinkled, the overexcited enthusiasts, the grumpy ones prefering the past.
Posts that offer nothing useful, posts that are old news to you, posts with so called humor, posts irrelevant to the subject at hand or even the topic, posts that criticize behavior, posts questioning other people's motives or sanity, sometimes even containing subtle or not so subtle insults - plenty of those in the time I have been around since 2006: ignore them if you do not like them.

Off-topic posts can be deleted if it derails the thread, but it is not a rule set in stone; if it is of no hindrance or if the original discussion has stopped, posters generally are allowed to go off-topic.
Off-topic posts that contain P&R stuff, or are expected to ignite a discussion fit for P&R risk deletion. You are free to start again in P&R. Moderators are not obliged to do work (move posts) that you can do perfectly yourself (just quote or copy/paste and start in P&R).
Going off-topic after a moderator has warned to stay on topic, means risking a deletion and a red card.

Another way to get off-topic is by discussing moderation actions, or the lack of it.
Let me quote the TOS:

RPGWatch is not obliged to motivate the reasons for moderation to anyone other than the person being moderated. The reasons for moderation will not be discussed in public and discussions about it can be ended or removed by a moderator.
If the moderated person feels the motivation for him or her being moderated is invalid, they can contact the moderator(s) and/or RPGWatch to discuss this.

If you think a fellow member is not acting within the rules, please contact the moderator instead of posting a comment about it. It will only get the discussion off-topic.

I think it is a pity how this thread that started quite interesting imo, has ended, with @Moriendor; deleting his contributions, with @Nereida; getting once more the finger pointed at her, and with people once again having difficulty simply ignoring posts or posters they do not like, starting about moderation that should fix their issues.

On a side note, related to this thread, some background info:
I consider Gothic 2 the best game I have ever played.
I have met several trolls in my days at Usenet, no mods present at that time.

This will be the last thing I'll say about this:
Discussions about moderation will be removed from now on, in accordance with the TOS.

Last edited:
and with people once again having difficulty simply ignoring posts or posters they do not like, starting about moderation that should fix their issues.
I don't expect the mods to fix something, but ignoring posts is easier said than done. I mean… to classify a post as "ignorable", I still have to read it first - at least a significant part of it. And that sometimes is just… exhausting. :-/

And no, I don't want to ignore a poster completely by putting him on an ignore list. Simply because I don't want to miss the actually contributing postings of the poster - which everyone here poster does have.

What @Corwin; says is right. This should be a lighter place. But I feel more like what @bjon045; says… it would be nice if we all could care more about posting in a way that doesn't exhaust the fellow watchers in one way or another, even if that isn't covered by the ToS.

@Morrandir;

I agree it is not easy when you do not want to put someone on the ignore list.
Even if you do, you'll still see the quotes.

But in order for this place to be a light(er) place ignoring posts is essential.

People get triggered by something they do not like, it could be as simple as someone merely saying s/he is not interested in the posted newsbit. We all have seen how such a comment can get a thread derailed by others commenting on that one comment. If one starts targetting another personally as well, a similar reply will be triggered, and before you know it the thread turns nasty.
All that, in stark contrast with the situation where that first negative comment was 'simply' ignored: the thread will continue about the newsbit.

Some of you may remember that I often argued for playing it nice, see my signature. Some thought that with the new TOS and me being moderator no criticism or negative word could ever be said.
I, personally, do not like insults, be it subtle or not, and they won't help convincing others.

Anyway, as a moderator I follow the TOS. I try my best, as do the other mods/admins to set aside any possible personal feelings and see if there is something that is in conflict with the TOS. When in doubt I have no trouble asking the admin to look at the situation independently.

If we - mods - start acting upon things that are not covered by the TOS, on our own initiative, or indicated by a perceived wish of a (small/large?) part of our members, it would open the door to arbitrariness.
Besides, how am I to defend such a ruling to a violator: what rule exactly did s/he violate?
If anyone is not happy with the present TOS I suggest to write a different one and hand it over to Myrthos for him to decide.

I am aware that moderating is not math. People assess situations differently.
So I understand people in this and other threads who are disappointed with the moderators' stand on the matter, they would have liked to see a different ruling.
But if we ruled differently, other people would be disappointed. Surely moderators are the members most criticized - and they can not put anyone on an ignore list. Woe poor me. ;)
(No, I would not put anyone on an ignore list even if I could, I don't want to miss the contributing and interesting posts either, Morrandir, which, I second that, everyone here may have, and @Nereida; is definitely one of them.)

Anyway, I hope these last two posts explained a bit of the mod team's reasoning, and motivate people, when annoyed, to 'just' get up, look outside, take a walk, hug your partner/dog/cat, start a game, and consider there are better ways to spend your time than writing off-topic posts about other people's behavior.

In the past years I have seen many people who are not like me, who do not (dis)like what I (dis)like, who do not behave or think the way I do, who do not understand me, who I do not understand, but, imo, without them this place would be a dull, quiet - dead - place.

Thanks, Morrandir, for your point and thus giving me a chance too to add something that I overlooked in my previous post.

I think it is time to get back on topic: 'Elex II wants to be ME'. [highlight]Official warning.[/highlight]

People wanting to discuss moderation policy any further, might try PM. I'll read it for sure, but doubt I'll have anything to add.

People wanting to discuss Morrandir's post, copy it and start a different thread.

------
Edit
Yes, Morrandir, I noticed your appeal "we all could care more about posting in a way that doesn't exhaust the fellow watchers in one way or another", and I support it.
(But as a moderator I don't count on it.)

Last edited:
I've played all mass effect games and can't say I see that much similarity? Certainly it is not a comparsion that would have popped into my mind. I enjoyed the ME games - although I found ME:Andromeda to be too expansive and not good for my completionist tendencies….I can't recall if I actually finished it. I must have, surely… I know I replayed it and got quite far before I just ran out of enthusiasm. I just remember my dismay every time I had to enter one the 'oblivion gates' erm…vaults? …just as I do with the converters in Elex 2. Some elements just become repetitive - I don't like that in any game.
I find Elex quite fun. Initially I was turned off by the fantasy/high-tech mix, but in the end I still found myself enjoying exploration and wondering about. Esepcially with the jetpack, which is also tactically very useful. There are aspects of the game that irritate me, but overall I am happy I bought it.

I haven't played Elex 2 yet but I don't see many similarities between Elex and the Mass Effect series.

Mass Effect was more of a shooter in terms of gameplay and I played Elex as a melee user which isn't a possibility in ME.

Mass Effect is set in a interplanetary setting. Elex is solely in one place really.

You play with companions that evolve throughout the story and even play a major role in some quests in ME. Elex companion was like a meatshield.

Exploration in ME was about finding quests. Elex exploration was about seeing the world and finding little nooks and crannies.

And many more.

I enjoyed both types of games. But to me there is very little similarity in both games.

Back
Top Bottom