ELEX - Interview @ Ichbissak

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
One of best Elex interviews so far. Ichbissak asks Björn Pankratz about Elex and game elements from the Gothic and Risen series that will be reutilized.

(the interview is only available in German)

Some info:

• at least 4 very different factions
  • combat more challenging than Risen 3, configurable with difficulty settings
  • swimming is in the game
  • Jet-pack is essential in the game, but limited
  • XP points and level-ups are back
  • many more important characters can die
  • Day/Night cycle very likely in the game
  • crafting/inventory visible in the gameworld (not on an extra screen)
  • much gameworld interaction
  • combat more direct
  • not an age 18 game, maybe 16 only (Gothic and Risen are free from 12 onwards)
  • PB has all rights for Gothic, and at the right time they will return to this series

More information.

• Day/Night cycle very likely in the game

Likely? I'd be massively disappointed if it wasn't. A PB game without day/night cycle? They wouldn't dare. :p

• PB has all rights for Gothic, and at the right time they will return to this series

Bring it on. :)

Eh, what is Lester doing here? :p
Combat more direct...how exactly?

Not anything against video interviews, but I miss the days you could just copy paste a german piranha bytes interview in a google translate…

They did a good job with Risen 3 Enhanced Edition. Quite enjoyable, preserving save games from non-enhanced R3, especially if you don't shoot with a rifle into a waterfall [insta-CTD]. Apart from latter the EE 64-bit bugs are easily fixed with config.xml edit. The game offers the best DX9-era visuals.

PB said that they checked out some current successful games. I believe they are talking about the Dark Souls series - challenging and fun.

Well, DS was designed for PvP, mostly, but better ( more harsh) stamina management would go a long way, to make combat more engaging. CDPR, would do well to learn from this, as well.
I'm hoping for a better game play progression, taken up a notch from Gothic II.. to me this was, prior Gothic III, most distinctive feature of PB games. Also, small thing, but a closer camera, or at least FoV options, would help with immersion.

Not anything against video interviews, but I miss the days you could just copy paste a german piranha bytes interview in a google translate…
In the past, I've generally just asked politely for a "Watch" translation.
Usually one of the many native German speakers will happily oblige. :)
(Thanks for the summary of points, HiddenX)

The point on combat being more "direct" is certainly an important point for me, as I do think PB went astray with Risen 2+3 when it comes to providing a fluid, rewarding yet challenging melee system. Hopefully Elex will improve matters on that front.

The point on combat being more "direct" is certainly an important point for me, as I do think PB went astray with Risen 2+3 when it comes to providing a fluid, rewarding yet challenging melee system. Hopefully Elex will improve matters on that front.

Well, report from RPGCodex doesnt sound very optimistic:

Then, he showed off ELEX's combat. The protagonist walked up to a huge dinosaur-like creature and started to swing his sword around. The dino squeaked like a rubber ducky, and a little red health bar popped up over its head. The hero kept swinging; the dino kept squeaking; the health bar kept going down. Then the dino collapsed and the hero sheathed his sword. Evidently, Piranha Bytes have elected to stick with their proven combat system from the Risen games.

Of course, you can ask - which reports are optimistic on Codex? :)

I stopped reading at "RPGCodex" ;)

Well, that quote is not that bad. :) There are worse things written about PB in the report.

Back
Top Bottom