ELEX - More Details

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@DSOgaming they report more details on ELEX from a press release by Piranha Bytes.

According to the press release, the game is set against the backdrop of a brand new post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe that immerses players in a vast, seamless game world full of interesting characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and of course, some thrilling action.

"Magalan, the completely open game world of ELEX, was home to a highly developed civilisation until a catastrophic meteor strike devastated the planet, reducing it to a post-apocalyptic world. The meteor also deposited a substance that is now found in nearly everything: Elex, and each faction uses it in a different way. Every inhabitant of the world is constantly looking for Elex, whether as a substance with magical powers, to use in a weapon or as a pure stimulant."

ELEX is all about contrasts: science vs fantasy, magic vs laser weapons and logic vs emotions. In ELEX, Piranha Bytes combines all the game elements that RPG fans love and has placed them in an entirely new environment: a science-fantasy setting. These contrasts are also evident in the various factions.

Regarding factions, Piranha Bytes had this to say:

"While one faction, the Albs, consider the ingestion of Elex as part of their cult, the Clerics group ban the consumption of Elex on religious grounds, and use it to build their high-tech weapons. The Berserkers however, a people who live in harmony with nature, process Elex into mana and use it to craft magical weapons. As for the Bandits, their society has no fixed rules, but they live by the credo: "Take anything you can grab, or someone else will.""

Piranha Bytes' Björn Pankratz said:

"We've been thinking about the setting for ELEX for almost 10 years, and we finally have the chance to implement our ideas. The mix of sci-fi and fantasy offers an incredible number of opportunities and cool contrasts that we can play around with. The fans of Gothic or Risen will recognise our unique game philosophy and ELEX builds on that solid basis. ELEX will be the most dynamic and realistic RPG sim ever!"
More information.

I always preferred first-person-view games. It's much easier for me to accept the new world when I see it "with my own eyes" or from behind the back of my character.

I hate first_person style.
I want to see some butts. Guess why Tomb Raider games sold like crazy and femShep is a cult figure.

"ELEX will be the most dynamic and realistic RPG sim ever!"

Eh, sounds too ambitious for it's own good. Problem with smaller devs like this is not working within scope of their own limitations, Reality Pump a good example.

RPG sim?
Erm... How can RPG sim be realistic? Isn't that a contradiction by itself?

The real question would be what an "RPG sim" actually does. Simulating a role play game? That doesn't make sense.

I think by RPG simulation they meant that the world and NPCs are not scripted, but have AI that responds to different actions as in their previous games.

I think by RPG simulation they meant that the world and NPCs are not scripted, but have AI that responds to different actions as in their previous games.

I remember accidentally breaking into one house in Khorinis and before you know it, the whole town was chasing me across the map.
People in PB games sure love their privacy. :p

I remember accidentally breaking into one house in Khorinis and before you know it, the whole town was chasing me across the map.
People in PB games sure love their privacy. :p

How do you "accidentally" break into someone's home? More like, you entered someone's house and weren't expected the owner to call you out on it, you mean? ;)
That's what happened to me at least.

Khorinis is IMHO still unrivaled in its immersiveness. It felt alive.

Back
Top Bottom