ELEX - New Piranha Bytes Game Announced

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
As expected yesterday's rumors were true. Piranha Bytes cooperates with Nordic Games to create a new action-RPG named Fallout Arcanum ELEX. The PR tells their core audience all the right things. I've highlighted a couple of them:

Nordic Games + Piranha Bytes = ELEX
July 2, 2015

The creators of Gothic turn over a new leaf together with Nordic Games and tackle their first new, collaborative project: ELEX

Nordic Games teams up with veteran studio Piranha Bytes to work on their first collaborative and new project: ELEX. This eclectic, lavish, exhilarating, xenial open-world RPG is scheduled to release in Winter 2016/2017 on PC and current gen console platforms. This is by far the most ambitious project for Piranha Bytes and Nordic Games to date.

“To say we are excited to see this new project unfold in the hands of Piranha Bytes is an understatement. ELEX is going to be edgy, dark, uncompromising, complex, and we love it already,“ comments Reinhard Pollice Business & Product Development Director at Nordic Games. “We will be premiering a vertical slice build at Gamescom 2015, more info will be released in due time.”

“Apart from being enthusiastic about the cooperation with Nordic Games, it is great to know, that we will have ample creative freedom with ELEX, which is a very important factor for us” said Björn Pankratz, Game Director at Piranha Bytes. "We can't wait to show you a completely new game experience with a fresh setting, new assets and plenty of possibilities."

About ELEX

ELEX is a handcrafted action role-playing experience from the award-winning creators of the Gothic series, set in a brand new post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe that puts players into a huge, seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action.
More information.

It does looks nice. I am glad the character on the wall paper shown as having sword rather than the gun since I prefer post-apocalyptic science *fantasy* rather than just post-apocalyptic science fiction. It means the world has gone to very primitive stage after the apocalyptic events.

Man that game concept looks sweet. I can't wait to see and play this. Perhaps now when piranha bytes have teamed up with new publisher, we get to see something amazing from our favourite german studio :)

So happy that piranha bytes are finally trying new things. :)

Its just a buzzword. Lets wait and see what they will do before passing judgment. :)

Yeah hopefully its more than zombies. if this post-apoc world has more fantasy flavour, it could be intresting. Maybe we'll get more info about this in the gamescon.

You don't like fallout games?

Anyway I think this will be not fallout type and it will still be fantasy like.

Yes, I like Fallout games - but I hate the setting.

It reminds me of a desert setting, and I also hate desert settings.

I still like Dark Sun games, though.

Conclusively, the setting is not the entire game.

I'll try, but I really don't like post-apoc settings.

Im not big fan of post-apo too. But I think its mainly escuse for some kind of weird science fantasy steam-punk diesel-punk benzine-gothic… messy world.

I'll try, but I really don't like post-apoc settings.

Same here. Though fantasy post-apoc could turn out to be more interesting (to me at least) than nuclear post-apoc like Fallout. But then again it's "science fantasy" and not pure old regular fantasy so meh. Anyway, it's definitely the first PB game ever that I will not buy on release.

The publisher change is kind of surprising since they have worked on this since early last year when they were still under contract with Deep Silver. This seems to be a confirmation though that the contract with Deep Silver covered a Risen trilogy and was probably not extended due to a lack of commercial success of games no. 2 and 3 especially.

Im not big fan of post-apo too. But I think its mainly escuse for some kind of weird science fantasy steam-punk diesel-punk benzine-gothic… messy world.

I hope so ;)

PB trying something new is reason enough to be excited, I guess.

But I could do with traditional sci-fi, which is ironically not very common.

Something like Aliens ;)

Yes, I like Fallout games - but I hate the setting.

It reminds me of a desert setting, and I also hate desert settings.

I still like Dark Sun games, though.

Conclusively, the setting is not the entire game.

The wall paper reminds me of the Broken Empire books. It is post-apo but nothing like Fallout. Its has science, mutants etc but its pure fantasy. Due to some cataclysmic event the society has gone back to medieval feudal system. The main weapon of choice is sword and not a gun. A gun is very special weapon to have in that setting.

Its also grim dark setting as well. I might not be surprised if PB was inspired by these books since everything I have read and see so far reminds of of these books.

These books are pretty good and I love the setting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prince-Thorns-Broken-Empire-Book/dp/0007423632

I hope so ;)
PB trying something new is reason enough to be excited, I guess.

In terms of a settings, yes… But we will see how much they try to do something new and how much they follow open world trend.

That art doesnt look like common post-apo. It seems it will be mostly "medieval middle-European" with melee combat and some futuristic objects and items.

But I could do with traditional sci-fi, which is ironically not very common.
Something like Aliens ;)

Yes… Several ships, big colonisation mission, you lead one expedition, exploration, contact with alien races, problems, establishing outposts, more problems, defense, unexpected discoveries, new bigger threat, traitor, tactical plan to survive… :)

Well, it took around 5 years for my wish to be finally realized, but it was well worth it.

The wall paper reminds me of the Broken Empire books. It is post-apo but nothing like Fallout. Its has science, mutants etc but its pure fantasy. Due to some cataclysmic event the society has gone back to medieval feudal system. The main weapon of choice is sword and not a gun. A gun is very special weapon to have in that setting.

If we are talking about books, I think it is likely that PB is inspired by The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. Supposedly, It is the definitive post-apocalyptic Fantasy/SF hybrid.

The picture on their website reminds me of the settings for the early Might & Magic or the later Wizardry games for some reason. That would be a good thing in my opinion.

I like the guys at Nordic. They seem really nice people for a publisher. I am just hoping they stick to there end of the deal and don't go all E.A.

Well, it took around 5 years for my wish to be finally realized, but it was well worth it.

If we are talking about books, I think it is likely that PB is inspired by The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. Supposedly, It is the definitive post-apocalyptic Fantasy/SF hybrid.

You are probably right about Gene Wolfe book and PB's inspiration. I have also heard it is the definitive post-apocalyptic Fantasy/SF hybrid but never read them. May be this its time to read them now to get hype up Elex!

The picture on their website reminds me of the settings for the early Might & Magic or the later Wizardry games for some reason. That would be a good thing in my opinion.

And a bad thing in mine. ^^

I actually love post apocalypse as setting. But even more important to me is that the world in itself is logical.

And that is why I dislike the Setting of Wizardrdy, where you mix something like Laser Weapons and flying motorcycles with swords.
Something like that just breaks the immersion for me.

So first and foremost I hope that their setting makes sense. ^^

Back
Top Bottom