ELEX - Pre-Alpha Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@dsogaming A pre-alpha trailer for Piranha Bytes' ELEX has emerged.

ELEX is described as a handcrafted action role-playing experience, set in a brand new post-apocalyptic Science Fantasy universe that puts players into a huge seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action. The game will feature raptors, mechs, mutants and jetbacks. Enjoy the trailer after the jump!
More information.

Great stuff. :) Looks really good, interesting visuals. Mix of science and fantasy, which is a bit different than your typical sci-fi setting. Yeah, I'm really intrigued by this game and think it shall be great. :)

Well, honestly, Technomancer looks a lot more impressive. Looks quite a bit dated. Still, it doesn't really matter if it delivers on char progression and exploration.

I'm certain I will enjoy ELEX about a billion times more than I would Technomancer. :)

Eh, Fluent do we have an already prewritten 10/10 review? :p

I still have to see how this game will handle the key elements and mechanics.

If it proves to be a modern Gothic game with science-fantasy theme, then yup, instant 10/10. :p

The Gothic games came to PC. The PC crowd in general, and crpg players in particular, were accustomed to complex game mechanics, and finding one's way around the game system and world as you start weak was part of the fun.

Nowadays, the games market is dominated, or motivated by the console crowd with short attention spans and the need for dumped down and simple system mechanics and world design, that allows constant wins and easy progression (silly 'press x to kill' tutorials, QTEs, level scaling .. etc.). Looking at Risen 2 and 3 in particular indicates that PB is moving in that direction. This is not surprising as they are a small studio and they need to diversify and attract the console crowd, unfortunately at the expense of the features that we loved in the Gothics.

Hope that they go back to their original formula, and not be afraid of introducing natural difficulty in their design (where allowed).

Graphically not impressive at all, but the setting has me at a day one purchase. And PB always gets my attention so . . . I'm in.

Well, honestly, Technomancer looks a lot more impressive. Looks quite a bit dated. Still, it doesn't really matter if it delivers on char progression and exploration.

You realize The Technomancer is basically finished and only a few weeks from release right? ELEX is still only in Pre-Alpha.

I can live with crappy graphics, heck Risen 1 or Gothic 3 and I will be happy but the setting somehow bothers me. This is not what I imagined about the fantasy/sci fi setting. To me this looks like Fallout type one. Oh well, still hoping.

I've been really down on PB since they started the Risen series. Risen 3 was a big step in the right direction. I hope ELEX continues that trend, even if it still panders to the console crowd.

What bad graphics are you people talking about?
It is as good as F4.

The graphics aren't bad, in fact every asset by itself looks great and the landscape design looks great-
It's just that the game is mixing multiple art styles. There are some cartoonish parts that look like they come out of Halo or Overwatch and then there are kind of realistic parts like out of Witcher or Gothic. That makes it look bad overall.

Setting is kind of weird too, swords and guns, seems more like a 10 years olds fantasy.

What bad graphics are you people talking about?
It is as good as F4.

They are all spoiled by the Witcher 3, of course. :>

Nah, in fact I have to agree to:

It's just that the game is mixing multiple art styles.

The mixing of styles (graphically and conceptually) does indeed look kind of odd and random. That may be a problem with the trailer, more smooth transitions in game may improve on that.

The mix of styles and oddly looking placeholders are expected from ingame alpha footage.
This is not CGI trailer.

Mmm...I'm not fully won over yet by the hodgepodge design and setting elements, but as others have stated, it is pre-alpha and I'll have to try to be positive and express some PB faith that they'll somehow "make me believe" and want to play this game as further information comes out and development continues. :)

Even if PB went off track with some of the Risen titles, they were still better than most any other open world games that I have played. The Witcher 3 might come close, but it never inspired me to explore the world the way that the PB games did.

I don't understand the complaints concerning the graphics. It is pre-alpha. The game isn't going to be released tomorrow.

STALKER meets Gothic. I like.
Looking forward to seeing the game in action. If they can re-capture the immersiveness and exploration of Gothic, I'm in.

Back
Top Bottom