ELEX - Preview @ GamePressure

Okay, I'll bite :)

Uh huh. Why didn't it sell then? Hmmm? PB would give each of their left arms if they could make a game that sells like the TES series. The bottom line is they don't have the skill or else it would show in sales. No matter how many excuses you make for them, PB hasn't released any game that has come close to TES and probably new will. It doesn't mean they're a bad company, just not in the same league as Bethesda.

Same goes with CDPR. Can't compete in sales, though W3 did okay versus other companies. Just not Bethesda. I laugh every time somebody downplays Bethesda with a game that made less than a 1/10th of its profits. Where is the remastered editions of Gothic? Oh yeah, it would never sell enough to be profitable.

When the Gothic series started, it was still very much about getting the box in the stores. I remember ordering my copy of Amazon for Gothic.

This meant that as a German company it was much harder to sell to the much larger US market. Then once TES was established as the king of open-world RPGs, it was difficult for anyone else to make a real dent into that market.

It's the same as Steam holding the largest market share of digital PC sales now. They did it first and did it well, so now no one else can penetrate that market.

Then, since they had issues with their developers, PB also lost out on a lot of time and money to make G3 count towards their big break. It was released with bugs and lots of gameplay issues.

@crpgnut,
Heh, you are being just a little bit naive there, aren't you? Since when oh when was quality guarantee for success? Plenty of amazing, inovative as hell, games, sold horribly in past.

By that point, Minecraft is far, far superior product to skyrim, otherwise, surely skyrim would sell at least 10% of that?

Sales aren't really the means to judge if game is good or not, imo, as weird as that sounds. There are many factors here. Skyrim is 5th succesful game in the series, and i'm guessing each is selling a bit more than other (or a lot).

IIRC, Gothic 3 actually sold really good compared to previous Gothic games. Already in 2007, at leat as far as google says, there were reported over 500k sales.

Sure, that's not much but, if PB was to keep up with quality, the sales would go up as well, it's how it went with Besthesda , with CDPR and others.
Their problem was…imo of course, PBs games drop in quality singificantly with almost every new release, compared to modern games, and that's what's killing them slowly. IMO, again, of course.

CDPR and witcher is another story though.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-ships-almost-10-million-copies-report/1100-6435592/
That was report about …what, 7,8 months after release, and it sold almost 10mil coppies, if that site is to be believed.

http://time.com/1875/at-20-million-...-in-the-top-20-bestselling-games-of-all-time/
That's skyrim's report, over 2 years after it's release. Sure, that's still double the amouth of W3 but, we are talking about longer timer period. W3 still probably couldn't cought up with Skyrim, but, that's far, far away from the 1/10th of the the coppies that skyrim made which you were kinda hinting.

Witcher 3 may not be as big sucess as Skyrim but, it's getting there. Compared to sales of W2, that's HUGE boost. And if CDPR does well with Cyberpunk 2077, don't be too surprise if CDPR actually catches up with Bethesda.

And, of course, that's just my opinion, but, in many ways, W3, unlike PB games lats years, sadly, in many areas completely outclassed Skyrim as well and kinda set new standards. Starting with NPCs and their stories.

Possibly they lost the experienced developers from Gothic 1 (their best still) and Risen 1 and 3. That's why the increased mediocrity. Gothic 3 had amazingly thick forest landscapes - excellent lighting and shaders - with the heavenly look of wolf packs roaming the land in the distant mists, I never forget. Risen 1 and 3 had good story and humor.

I was just about to reply to crpgnut but then noticed that Zocky did all the work for me. Nicely put Zocky!

When the Gothic series started, it was still very much about getting the box in the stores. I remember ordering my copy of Amazon for Gothic.

This meant that as a German company it was much harder to sell to the much larger US market.
This is very true. I was not able to get a copy of G2 locally in the US until the end of 2004, two years after release. This was a huge missed market since it was already an old game by the time it was widely available.

Okay, I'll bite :)

Ironic since you're the one who dropped obvious bait to begin with.

@crpgnut,
Heh, you are being just a little bit naive there, aren't you? Since when oh when was quality guarantee for success? Plenty of amazing, inovative as hell, games, sold horribly in past.

Don't waste your breath with logic on him. He was just semi-trolling anyways. He blows Bethesda's horn at any opportunity. :)

Heh fair enough.

Just to clarify, i did finish Skyrim (68hours), Witcher 3 (91h…i think), i finished gothic 1 and 2 (+notr) more times than i'd like to admit here heh, but i was also huge fans of the old stuff like baldur's gate 2 and such.

And i did have fun with Skyrim, don't get me wrong, but…when i compare it to bg2 at least, world is really interesing to explore but…i just always miss good story, involved world, memorable npcs and such in these TES games, including Skyrim.

And i do feel like Witcher 3 kinda went back in that regard to those classic ones, and i'm assuming that's what it got so popular.

Still….Not sure what to feel about Elex. I'm usually not fan of mixing "randomly" scifi and fantasy and asuch. Dunno, don't get me wrong, people, but….i really feel like PB, even with that small team size, just….doesn't produce game that looks at least on par with modern games. And i feel like gap is just getting bigger and bigger. I feel like PB would benefit from good art director and maybe few more guys on gameplay, world building and such….But..oh well, lets see, maybe they can still surprise me.

And i did have fun with Skyrim, don't get me wrong, but…when i compare it to bg2 at least, world is really interesing to explore but…i just always miss good story, involved world, memorable npcs and such in these TES games, including Skyrim.

I thought Morrowind had memorable NPCs. Oblivion had humorous ones and Skyrim took it to a more "realistic" level with NPCs, i.e. most of them are your everyday inhabitants. The NPCs may not all have epic stories but I loved talking to every one of them in all three games and getting the bits of lore they had, hearing their story, etc. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts in ES games, IMO.

But a bigger point I want to make (again) is that I don't think every game needs to be the exact same. If you want a story-based RPG with all sorts of story-driven NPCs, cut-scenes and an interactive movie feel, there are games that will satisfy that. Witcher 3 is a good example, or Mass Effect, etc.

I don't think an RPG needs to have everything coalesce in the same game. Elder Scrolls wouldn't be the same if it were modeled after the Witcher, and Witcher wouldn't be the same if it were modeled after Elder Scrolls. Gothic 1 & 2 wouldn't have been the same if they modeled themselves after Morrowind at the time, etc. etc.

I say let developers be unique and do their own things. These games are great because they are all unique.

On topic - All I need to hear is that it is Gothic-influenced. No need to say anything more. :)

The first Gothic is one of the greatest games ever created by humans. The only PB games that have come close since are Gothic 3 and the first Risen.

If Elder Scrolls is good because it sells well, then EA Games is the pinnacle of modern gaming, lol

The first Gothic is one of the greatest games ever created by humans. The only PB games that have come close since are Gothic 3 and the first Risen.

You didn't like Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven? I think it's even better than G1, and it was certainly better than G3 by far.

You didn't like Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven? I think it's even better than G1, and it was certainly better than G3 by far.

Gothic 2 + NotR is great. Really great. But I'd probably say Gothic 1 is my favorite between the 2. The prison colony setting is brilliant in theory and design, IMO.

Gothic 2 + NotR is great. Really great. But I'd probably say Gothic 1 is my favorite between the 2. The prison colony setting is brilliant in theory and design, IMO.

I find that most fans of the series favor whichever one they played first, which is usually the case when you have two games that are so similar. I played them in order, but I still prefer G2+NotR simply because of the greater diversity in the environments and the overall size. It's really a toss-up though.

I find that most fans of the series favor whichever one they played first, which is usually the case when you have two games that are so similar. I played them in order, but I still prefer G2+NotR simply because of the greater diversity in the environments and the overall size. It's really a toss-up though.

Yeah. The world is really nice in G2. Excellent design. Can't go wrong with either game, that's for sure.

I would recommend those who haven't played them to start with the first game. Just to get a good intro to the lore, characters and world.

People shouldn't overlook G3 either with the Community Patch. That fixed a lot of the issues and if you want a huge, sprawling world to explore it makes for a pretty fun game.

People shouldn't overlook G3 either with the Community Patch. That fixed a lot of the issues and if you want a huge, sprawling world to explore it makes for a pretty fun game.

Agreed. One of the more immersive worlds to date, and not a single loading screen in sight. :biggrin:

I vastly prefer any of the Gothics (except FG and Arcania, as I refuse to touch those) over any of the TES games (I only started dabbling in them starting from Morrowind, though).

I thought Morrowind had memorable NPCs. Oblivion had humorous ones and Skyrim took it to a more "realistic" level with NPCs, i.e. most of them are your everyday inhabitants. The NPCs may not all have epic stories but I loved talking to every one of them in all three games and getting the bits of lore they had, hearing their story, etc. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts in ES games, IMO.

But a bigger point I want to make (again) is that I don't think every game needs to be the exact same. If you want a story-based RPG with all sorts of story-driven NPCs, cut-scenes and an interactive movie feel, there are games that will satisfy that. Witcher 3 is a good example, or Mass Effect, etc.

I don't think an RPG needs to have everything coalesce in the same game. Elder Scrolls wouldn't be the same if it were modeled after the Witcher, and Witcher wouldn't be the same if it were modeled after Elder Scrolls. Gothic 1 & 2 wouldn't have been the same if they modeled themselves after Morrowind at the time, etc. etc.

I say let developers be unique and do their own things. These games are great because they are all unique.

On topic - All I need to hear is that it is Gothic-influenced. No need to say anything more. :)

Well, that of course is very fair point, not every rpg has to be the same.

Saying that, what i'm talking about, i'd say, is not really related to that.

Like, say, skyrim vs gothic (For me). Skyrim had npc with their daily shedules and all that. But, None of them (or barely any) were all that memorable. To me, of course.

I'm not talking about epic stories and amazing cinematics and what not. I get that Skyrim just isn't focused on that.

But my problem is, that in skyrim, people just act as if they are there for one specific reason, that is, to give you quest, and that's it, he/she's pretty much done with you. Sure you can chat but, they don't really feel to me like actual characters who live in that world. The feel like computer created 3d model, waiting for my 3d model to come close to it, so that it can trigger quest giving.

That's rather big immersion killer for me. Again, there may be some exception here and there, but it felt like that t me for the most part.
If you have npc's, in interesting world, you can't make them feel so computer generated and call it "it's different game style". Not really, it's still game style where imersion is big factor, and that type of character is just kinda killing that.

Take Gothic series. Take a lookat ….Ur Shak or what was that orcish shaman from g1.
You meet him the first time, you help him out, he starts to call you friend ever since, meaning, it's not just one certain event and the character is done with you. He kinda acts as if he's getting attached to you, and vise versa.
so he later helps you. You meet him several times, one time even in g2, and you each time see how he's relationship with the orc clan changes in some way.

Similar thing was with Gorn, with Lee, with Diego, with xardas, and others. They didn't just give you quests, they actually met you in diferent parts of the world, in different situations, interacting with you in different ways, hence, why they felt to me like characters who actually live in that world. Skyrim just didn't feel like that to me, and i feel like it should. Skyrim isn't trying to be different in that way, it's just imo not on par with g1 and g2 in that way.

And do note, i'm comparing 1999 game with 2011 game.

Back
Top Bottom