Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
ELEX has been released - here are two more reviews:

Launch trailer:

ELEX Launch Trailer

GameSpew:

Elex Review: A World of Unfulfilled Potential

The world of Magalan seemed interesting; the hybrid of science fiction, fantasy and post apocalypse was intriguing, and, well, I just happen to love open world RPGs. Playing the game, however, my excitement turned into disappointment and puzzlement; from unfulfilled promise to mismanaged expectations, the final product is not only lacking in polish but has an abundance of head-scratching design decisions.

[...]

Despite my issues with the game though, my time with Elex isn’t over just yet. I do enjoy the world and the concept, so I am willing to see what else the game has to offer in this respect. It’s just unfortunate that the game’s combat and presentation haven’t received as much attention. Elex needed much more time in the oven to be the game its promising previews made it seem to be, and with the dearth of games available this winter, I can’t recommend it to anyone but the most hardcore fans of the genre.

Score: 60%
COG:

Elex Review – A Massive Action RPG With Something Missing

Elex is kind of an odd duck. An ambitious open-world experience that hopes to marry each of the dominant game settings into a single world, Elex asks what happens when fantasy and sci-fi duke it out for ultimate supremacy. While the premise is presented in a surprisingly digestible format, there are some notable flaws in the execution that prevent this title from reaching the heights at which it aims.

[...]

I gaze upon the vast tangle of interconnected systems bristling inside this game and I recognize that I am not the target audience. In spite of my boundless patience and unusual fascination with pointless minutiae, the measured pace of this game failed to grip me. I know that others will take great pleasure in the hours-long journey required to master this world and each of its factions. Certain kinds of players take immeasurable joy in solving a nested series of hidden puzzles before each and every step of real progress forward. The subtle branching and division in the conversation trees will tickle the fancies of many gamers. I can’t muster the same enthusiasm, however. I’ve been spoiled and fattened off the streamlined systems of western RPGs. I prefer clearly-laid paths or total freedom, with little love for what lies between the two. Elex demands a certain species of patience, a particular brand of mental acuity. I realized what sort of work was required to attain power and success within the confines of this game and I recoiled in horror. There was never any confusion as to what would allow me to succeed. It was always plain as day what I was doing wrong, and equally obvious what I had to do right. Yet I found no joy in the undertaking. Others may yet crack Elex open to feast on the succulent rewards inside. I will not be among them. If you’re looking for a sizable action RPG with a host of systems to master, Elex may be exactly what you need. Be warned, though: I went in with similar hopes and was left somehow wanting.

Score: 65/100
The reviews show that ELEX is not made for casual gamers. The reviewers today expect handholding, questmarkers and a 'nice' difficulty curve.

More information.

It's not about being "casual" gamer or nowadays people prefering easier games with handholding.

We just have so many games, so many choices, that we value more our time and won't want to waste our time with games that don't have a good difficult/reward ratio. A RPG that isn't good enough to make its difficulty something worth to master, it's not… Good enough, period.

When I was a little kid, I would get a new game on my birthdays and christmas. If I were lucky and had good grades, I could get another game that year. Now, those were the days where games were played to death and completely mastered. Now… I bet most people here have a pile of unplayed games on Steam and other platforms. We're less likely to forgive a mediocre game, having other potentially better to play.

PB made another bug fest game, with janky combat and retard AI.

I'm gonna try it, anyway (thanks to Steam's refund policy), although playing it between Divinity Original Sin 2 and Assassin's Creed Origins might be unfair for Elex.

Most of PB's best talent are long gone. Not going to touch this one with a very long pole.

I waste my time with any game that I enjoy for whatever reason that may be.

I'm looking forward to what people here have to say about the game. Mainstream gaming "journalism" in America has never been kind to PB. Yeah yeah yeah G1 & 2 had rough edges and a weird UI (at least until you got used to it and then it actually became quite awesome) but the gameplay in those games was fantastic. So the reviews I'll read with a fistful of salt.

Honestly, I skip the journalist reviews and just skim Steam reviews. Works well so far.

I know we're all on the page (yes I'm speaking for everybody) that mainstream reviewers aren't really down with these types of games.. I'm going to judge reactions here, and STEAM reviews. Ultimately my guess is - I'll love it.

First reviewer doesn't know what 'dearth' means.

My finger is hovering over the buy button on this one, waiting to see what word of mouth says.

Yea, I'm with the very few who aren't liking what they are seeing with this game. Admittedly, I haven't liked this games look and setting ever since it entered the rpg watch consciousness here and started receiving coverage.

I also very much agree with the post above that Piranha Bytes glory days are well behind them. The problem is they made one miraculously good and monumental game (Gothic) and have failed to live up to its legacy ever since. But I get why they have such hardcore fans…

It's a great game if you like Gothic. I love it.

I'm enjoying it so far, but it didn't grab me right from the start like their other games. The English voice acting is as bad as advertised and it breaks the immersion at times.

Combat seems so-so thus far, and there's way too much loot just laying around.

I have only played an hour but I am enjoying it. You can definitely tell the Gothic lineage. The exploration is very good so far, though the combat is still the typical PB fare, not really their strong suit. The animations could be a little more smoother.

Though only first impressions, I would recommend it - if you like Gothic and Risen then you will like this.

Buy it man. It's a huge hand-crafted open-world RPG. And get me a copy! :D

You're making things harder, @Fluent;. A little more subtlety, please :p

"...I can’t recommend it to anyone but the most hardcore fans of the genre."

Won't find many of those here on the Watch. ;)

About 2 hours in and loving it. The first monster took me about 10 times to beat it. In retro spect I see I could have skipped it but I so missed Gothic style gaming I had to give the fight a go. I finally figured out that if I use a potion during the fight I could get the W. I got the W and a nice little stash by the monster for my brand new little avatar. While I am only a tiny fraction in, I see no reason any gamer who likes PB style gaming to pay any attention to the negative reviews.

We'll see. I'll grab my copy, no matter what (I'm a collector of things, y'see), but not quite sure yet if I'm gonna love this game. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom