ELEX - Short Video From GC Press Conference

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Ruptly.tv posted a short video shot at the Nordic Games press conference today. Project lead Björn Pankratz presents the new Piranha Bytes game Elex.

Vertical exploration FTV!

More information.

German previews are popping up everywhere, if you want to try your luck with Babelfish.

I really like the new setting based on what I am reading in the German press. This is what I was expecting and it looks like I was right. The setting really remind me of The Broken Empire trilogy of books.

Apart from the setting, it game sounds like the usual PB fair in terms of faction, mechanics etc.

Its not big issue for me personally but why can't you play as female character in the game?

That looks exactly like Risen. I enjoy PB games, but I would like some extensive improvements, and finally a good, satisfying ending. Risen 3 ending was insultingly terrible. They should look at CDP how to craft an RPG.

I can't help but feel, that with each new game Piranha Bytes is starting to fall more and more behind the times( sorry, not an English speaker, is that correct expression?). Shame, because their first game was well AHEAD of it's time.
Why didn't they contract Red Engine from CDPR or something similar…is this strictly a money issue?

I don't know about this one. I've never finished a PB game. Couldn't stomach the controls in gothic 1, don't remember why I stopped play gothic 2 as I remember enjoying it, another game lured me away no doubt. I played gothic 3 the most but eventually got tired of liberating city after city. Risen 1 just never really grabbed me and I've not played risen 2 or 3.

Maybe PB games just aren't for me.:-/

Whelp, PB games are for me. As much as I'm loving Witcher 3, it can be irritating when the game will not allow you to jump on roofs or mountains or ledges in so many sections of the game. A rare occurrence in most PB games.

I could barely hear what he was saying! Still, the little snippet of combat sure looked a lot like Risen 3.

I can't help but feel, that with each new game Piranha Bytes is starting to fall more and more behind the times( sorry, not an English speaker, is that correct expression?).
It's the correct expression, but the question should have been "is that the correct expression".

Whelp, PB games are for me. As much as I'm loving Witcher 3, it can be irritating when the game will not allow you to jump on roofs or mountains or ledges in so many sections of the game. A rare occurrence in most PB games.

So your biggest gripe with an open world RPG is the ability to jump around places that don't matter?

Combat is still WIP. So it's probably a placeholder.

You mean by that "parrot" spell...that was a pretty cool idea for an exploration game, otherwise, in Risen I or Gothics you were pretty much restricted as anywhere else.
What I'd like to see here is protagonist with a more defined personality, history and growth throughout the game/series, character creation screen, modding tools, better storytelling, more focused on conflicting factions( always a plus in PB games) then the usual thropes, further developed fighting system of Gothic games with decent physics/animations...but I'm a bit sceptical from what I've seen.
Here is some run down from a Gothic geek, for you other geeks, that are interested:p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5AT_O7GoWM

So your biggest gripe with an open world RPG is the ability to jump around places that don't matter?

hmmmmmmm.

While you totally missed the gist of what I was saying, I will say that in an open world RPG, all places matter to the gamer who likes to explore an open world RPG.

You mean by that "parrot" spell…that was a pretty cool idea for an exploration game, otherwise, in Risen I or Gothics you were pretty much restricted as anywhere else.
What I'd like to see here is protagonist with a more defined personality, history and growth throughout the game/series, character creation screen, modding tools, better storytelling, more focused on conflicting factions( always a plus in PB games) then the usual thropes, further developed fighting system of Gothic games with decent physics/animations…but I'm a bit sceptical from what I've seen.
Here is some run down from a Gothic geek, for you other geeks, that are interested:p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5AT_O7GoWM

The Parrot Spell was a brilliant piece of game design. It seem like an easy addition to any RPG (via Bat, Bird or Insect).

Nice link BTW, even though 90 of the vid was a compilation of the other PB games, it was nice to watch.

I know it is way too early to draw anu conclusion.
When I heared the first time of PB going scy-fy, it sounded great.
This is still Alpha footage, but it seems like it is Risen(maybe even Gothic) in an other storyline, but it does look a lot the same.

I am a bit dissapointed because I expected something "different" than befor.

But it is way too early to draw any conclusion, so we will wait and see I guess

I'm meeting them tomorrow here at Gamescom. Post your questions here and I'll try to get them answered.

I really like the new setting based on what I am reading in the German press. This is what I was expecting and it looks like I was right. The setting really remind me of The Broken Empire trilogy of books.

Apart from the setting, it game sounds like the usual PB fair in terms of faction, mechanics etc.

Do you mind feeding us non-German speakers some morsels of information from what you can glean from the German press?

The setting looks Gothic-y (as in, generic medieval fantasy) at first sight.

Do you mind feeding us non-German speakers some morsels of information from what you can glean from the German press?

The setting looks Gothic-y (as in, generic medieval fantasy) at first sight.

I can do one better, here is summary in English. :)

The world setting is post apocalyptic fantasy. Its not fallout style in that world has reverted to "medieval fantasy".

http://community.elexgame.com/threads/207-All-Confirmed-ELEX-Info

|HERO|
1.There will be no character customizatioN
2.The character will have a background story
3.He will have a name and won't be nameless
4.Will be male
5.Will be third-person for sure
6.Our decisions will have a big impact on the game
7.It isn't sure if our character will be human
8.We will or we will be able to do some kind of "jobs"
9.We will be able to do some kind of "housing"
10.Main protagonists was a former member in a military faction

|WORLD AND ATMOSPHERE|
1.World is planned to be huge
2.The atmosphere is dark and Science-Fantasy
3.It will be little futuristic at some places
4.There will be mutated creatures
5.Around the world you will find small settlements
6.Elex is a kind of drug that people take, they also use it to make magic( Source: Thread " ELEX Updates)
7.There will be large, lonely creatures similar to trolls
8.Easter Eggs!!
9.There will be dungeons but not as much and not the kind like in Risen
10.There will be factions that reject technology and some that run around with guns (German Forums)

|COMBAT|
1.Combat will be direct and will have strategic elements
2.You will use modern weapons as well as swords and other medieval
3.Magic will find it's way into the game. Details on that later
4.One handed swords will not be placed on the back, it will be like Gothic 1/2
5.Completely new combat system redesigned from the bottom

|EQUIPMENT & LOOT|
1.There will be modern and medievel weapons
2.Armours will come in pieces (pants,chest plate,gauntlets, etc.)
3.Developers are implementing books
4.Jetpacks!
5.Exosceletons!

|RELEASE DATE|
1.Game is planned to be released late 2016 or early 2017

|GAME MECHANICS|
1.There will be lockpicking system
2.Levelling won't be like in Risen 2/3 (no glory points)
3.Every single chest in the game is handfilled(loot isn't randomly put there)
4.Minimap isn't mandatory( isn't necessary at all cost)
5.There will be different puzzles in quests, dungeons, etc.
6.World will react to our character progression
7.No minigames(drinking, shooting, etc.) like Risen 2/3
8.Quest system will be like in Gothic series where the recordings will be written on 1st person preview.
9.Almost all NPCs will be killable

|FACTIONS|
1.Four factions are present
2.Bandits faction- some kind of modern terrorist faction that uses Elex
3.The Alb- modern military faction using ELEX
4.Two medievel factions- one using ELEX, one not using it

Thank you all if I have missed something be sure to tell me or just copy my list and add it yourself
Remember all of you, ask questions I. The Questions & Answers tab
Thanks to the great guy Innos in the forums we can now have more info about ELEX. Be sure to check his treads he also has apoll on swords vs guns, vote there

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR ATTENTION, PEACE!!!

Well, more info on the setting will be welcome, seems like this will be at least a lot more interesting than Risen or Gothic.
I'm curious how they will use companions...that was, if nothing else, improvement that Risen made over Gothic.
Will it have different races?
The usual, stats,skills,fighting styles(magic, two handed, dual wield...) etc, etc
Will the world be centered around one large hub/city like Khorinis or across several smaller ones?
Will the player have more control over protagonist's personality?...seems like that they took a step in that direction with their last game.

You mean by that "parrot" spell…that was a pretty cool idea for an exploration game, otherwise, in Risen I or Gothics you were pretty much restricted as anywhere else.
The first Gothic is to this date the most climbable, swimmable, walkable, runnable… open game world I've ever played.

Back
Top Bottom