ELEX - Some Thoughts

I had very low expectations for this game, I was planning to play an hour or two just to check it out and then return it.

But I've being enjoying it so far, although it has cluncky combat and it's really unpolished. But not as buggy as I was expecting.

Sure, hearing a NPC apprentice asking me to find his bow that he lost in a hunt, that he can't get another bow because his master won't give him another one… While having a huge bow on his back… And then me turning to his master and him telling me to be quiet to not scare the prey, while the apprentice starts banging a wall with an hammer… Can be a little bit off.

Or entering a restricted area without the guard seeing and then getting out through his gate and him only telling me I can't enter (apparently, he didn't find it strange that I came from inside), is the type of unpolishness of this game.

But it has an interesting world, interesting factions with interesting philosophies where none stand out as being the good guys or bad guys, etc.

Sure, hearing a NPC apprentice asking me to find his bow that he lost in a hunt, that he can't get another bow because his master won't give him another one… While having a huge bow on his back… And then me turning to his master and him telling me to be quiet to not scare the prey, while the apprentice starts banging a wall with an hammer… Can be a little bit off.
Oh yeah and then you go to the spot he said he dropped the bow and foirst stumble upon a troll then go back avoid that miniboss go for a bow and two hard to kill trashmobs are guarding the bow...
I love this game! :D

Had a great time watching Cohh play this game but also have no wish to play it myself.

it's really unpolished.

Yeah, no. I've played 36 hours and this is by far their most polished release yet, and a highly polished release overall relative to their budget and manpower.

While bugs are present in ELEX they are minimal overall, the game runs rock solid and there are no gamebreaking bugs in sight.

Fortunately, I have three new games to play and several replays after those, so Elex can wait till a summer sale and a bunch of patches for me. I do like the PB games, but I know how they usually are released.

Yeah, no. I've played 36 hours and this is by far their most polished release yet, and a highly polished release overall relative to their budget and manpower.

While bugs are present in ELEX they are minimal overall, the game runs rock solid and there are no gamebreaking bugs in sight.

unpolished != buggy

i preffer buggy over unpolished anyday. and this game would require mountains of work to get to a decent state.
if the people who made it were so oblivious, its pretty hard to repair. best start from scratch

unpolished != buggy

Did I say it did?

The game is neither unpolished or buggy. Anyone who has played it for more than an hour or two and is honest about it will tell you that.

If you want to split hairs and talk about overall polish or bugginess levels compared to larger game developers, ELEX still comes out on top because of the budget and manpower used to make the game. PB is using a small FRACTION of what other AAA developers use and still getting similar (I'd argue BETTER in some ways) results.

For what they accomplished with a team of 27 is remarkable.

I got a chuckle from Cohh’s Statement that if you’re expecting a super polished AAA title like Skyrim... I guess he forgot Skyrim had thousands of bugs and broke when I tried to play it the month of its release.

Define 'polished'. Skyrim and the Fallouts weren't exactly 'polished' IMO. Even patched and modded, there was a fair amount of goofiness and quirky behavior.

ELEX looks damned good to me. The only thing I would change in the character models is doing hair and eyebrows better. The lip-synching is okay; I don't pay that much attention to it in any case. True, combat could be a bit smoother. The world and textures are top notch. AI is a tad wonky at times, but not more so than many other AAA games.

One thing I noticed that PB changed from the Gothic series is looting bodies. You no longer can collect weapons to sell. Cash can be a little tough to come by in ELEX.
I have found some excellent weapons that I can't use until I pump up my stats more.

Early on, you're almost forced to play a stealth character to avoid combat because you get owned in an instant. The jet-pack is a game saver and a life saver. Cliff jumping and heights are a noobs best friend.

Early on, you're almost forced to play a stealth character to avoid combat because you get owned in an instant. The jet-pack is a game saver and a life saver. Cliff jumping and heights are a noobs best friend.

I know this won't be a very popular comparison around here, but what you said reminds me of the early stages of Breath of the Wild.

Breath of the Wild, while I haven't played it, is probably the closest thing to a PB open-world in some ways. I hear it's quite the realistic/challenging world with minimal, or no (?) level-scaling.

I have played Breath of the Wild. I've enjoyed the PB games, but none of them would come even close to that masterpiece. With that said, I've yet to try Elex, but I'll give it a fair shake, once it is done baking. I bet I'll wind up replaying Breath first, though!

Did I say it did?

The game is neither unpolished or buggy. Anyone who has played it for more than an hour or two and is honest about it will tell you that.

If you want to split hairs and talk about overall polish or bugginess levels compared to larger game developers, ELEX still comes out on top because of the budget and manpower used to make the game. PB is using a small FRACTION of what other AAA developers use and still getting similar (I'd argue BETTER in some ways) results.

For what they accomplished with a team of 27 is remarkable.

I've played more than a couple of hours and it sure is unpolished. I gave some examples.

About it being from an AAA studio or not... I don't understand that argument. I care about the game as it is. It being made by a big or small studio doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. It can help to explain why it's good or bad, but won't change the game experience itself.

I've played more than a couple of hours and it sure is unpolished. I gave some examples.

About it being from an AAA studio or not… I don't understand that argument. I care about the game as it is. It being made by a big or small studio doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. It can help to explain why it's good or bad, but won't change the game experience itself.

Your examples are ridiculously petty.

Your examples are ridiculously petty.

Yet, you're being petty to me for having my own opinion about the game that doesn't suit your views.

They are off putting to me and believe me that I wasn't searching for negatives to talk about the game. I was clear that I was enjoying the game. But it seems that for you, the game is perfect, there's no flaws and no one should say anything negative about it. Ignore the facts just because the game has a smaller budget and manpower behind it, compared to AAA games.

Yet, you're being petty to me for having my own opinion about the game that doesn't suit your views.

They are off putting to me and believe me that I wasn't searching for negatives to talk about the game. I was clear that I was enjoying the game. But it seems that for you, the game is perfect, there's no flaws and no one should say anything negative about it. Ignore the facts just because the game has a smaller budget and manpower behind it, compared to AAA games.

This must be the first video game you've ever played then if those examples make you call the game "really unpolished."

The examples are valid enough, but that also means only The Witcher 3 is actually polished among the big, open world RPGs available on PC.

Back
Top Bottom