ELEX - The Cleric Faction

So what. The concept works! Why change it? :)

Thanks. I like Duras so that is a plus. The droid sounds interesting as well.

Well, at this stage of AI development - a mortal companion will be:

1. A dead companion.
2. An incredibly frustrating companion, because you need to ensure his survival.

So, I think they've made the right decision.

Doesn't bother me as I can simply chose not to exploit meta-game stuff. I never really understood that really. If people exploit something to make the game easier … then complain that the game is easy … well…

EDIT: I should clarify, so I don't sound too snarky here, that I understand a game is better to have no exploits to begin with. But if people chose to use an exploit, well that is their choice.

In FO4 they had the followers immortal but if you got too far away from them then they would leave your company and head home to recover so that was an interesting take on it.

In this case if my follower went down I would either stay behind to help them and hope I could win. If it looked hopeless I would run away to fight another day when I was stronger (versus purposely looking for high level mobs that I could run back and forth from while my companion whittles away at them). RP wise I would consider running away leading the monster away from my companion (in theory).

Anyhow from the description this only sounds like an exploit issue if people very purposely abuse if ... and if they do then they have only themselves to blame if they are unhappy about abusing it.

Last edited:
Yup, think this will be my faction of choice too, for my first run.

Not mine. I'm gonna pursue my luck with Outlaws because I hate "Paladins" in all games. Assuming Outlaws do want to kill Berserkers. If not, well, Clerics will which means instafaction change.

@wolfgrimdark; The "exploit" in Risen 1 more or less just happened even if you did not abuse it on full purpose :) .

If you ran up to a monster with a companion in tow then the companion and you would engage the monster and you would ideally let the companion tank for you.
Now your companion went down (unconscious), you ran away to save your own skin until the enemy stops chasing you and breaks aggro.
You run back to your companion who lies near the monster's position unconscious or who is just about to get up.
The companions did not trigger monster aggro by themselves but since you are very close to the monster here, the aggro and the fight will resume with a fully healed companion.
That's just how the game worked.

Of course it is also quite tempting to (ab)use such strategies since you will not have to remember to return to an area later in the game if you can clear it right now.
If the game offers you such super-easy opportunities on a silver platter then it is hard to say 'no'.
It is the job of the developers to limit or extort such opportunities.
In that regard, PB have unfortunately failed rather badly in their latest games.
I have cleared the entire world of Risen 2 and 3 in the first chapter and almost the same in Risen 1 (thanks to Fred)… I only had to leave the very high end end-game volcano cave critters for later chapters.

It will be interesting to see whether they will really succeed in making Elex as challenging as they are hoping it will be.
I doubt it when looking at the poor monster AI and poor pathfinding which is exacerbated by the "vertical gameplay" but we'll see…

Ah - thanks for the added clarification then. I hadn't played the earlier games so my comment on exploits was more in general terms. I also understand the temptation aspect of an exploit and agree it is better for a game to not have them in the first place. But I also know there are some exploits people simply don't have to use in the first place that make the game much easier and then complain about how easy the game is. Somewhat like people who might use a cheat code to make themselves extra powerful and then complain about how powerful they are.

Companions shouldn't be immortal or atleast they should not return to full health without using healing potions or spells. It would atleast discourrage using companions as meatshields.

What comes to mind is that first two gothic games didn't have this problem because companions weren't always available. You had help only in few selected quests. Like during the focus stone quests. Otherwise you had to travel alone.

What comes to mind is that first two gothic games didn't have this problem because companions weren't always available. You had help only in few selected quests. Like during the focus stone quests. Otherwise you had to travel alone.

Yep. I was hoping ELEX would be more like that.

One of the Gamestar conclusions is that Elex is the best PB game since Gothic 2, although it has some issues. Like no handholding at all, being a real RPG and very hardcore from today's perspective.
The bug situation seems to be comparable to the last couple of games. If the day one patch really fixes everything remains to be seen.
The paragraphs about tech and graphics creates the impression that PB are holding their relative position in the genre. So their tech improves, as did the rest of the genre - and Elex is no AAA. Music is the best since the Gothic times, says GS.

Not mine. I'm gonna pursue my luck with Outlaws because I hate "Paladins" in all games. Assuming Outlaws do want to kill Berserkers. If not, well, Clerics will which means instafaction change.

Really, the Clerics remind you of Paladins? Sounds more like your regular, oppressive, tech-hoarding cult to me.

Well, at this stage of AI development - a mortal companion will be:

1. A dead companion.
2. An incredibly frustrating companion, because you need to ensure his survival.

So, I think they've made the right decision.

Agreed. I don't mind a "knock down" system, similar to Skyrim or Risen 2-3. It's only a problem if they're too durable or deal too much damage before getting knocked down.

There are no followers in Gothic though.

Edit: And the few times you fight with Gorn, Diego, Milten and Lester (getting the four stones + Gorn in the mines), they're all immortal. Can't be harmed.

^ Those are main characters and important ones. Biff in Gothic 2 would be a better example of a "follower" in those games and he could definitely die.

^ Those are main characters and important ones. Biff in Gothic 2 would be a better example of a "follower" in those games and he could definitely die.

He said Gothic, not Gothic 2 (or 3, where it's also different). In Gothic 2, Diego can join you when you exit the valley, and he can die too. As can Gorn when he joins you while clearing out the lizards before the stone dragon.

I haven't actually tried to complete the game after that, though I doubt it'll break the game: The truly important characters are immortal (Vatras, one of the captains etc).

Anyway, none of those are typical followers, intended to stay with you through the game. The game isn't balanced around their presence. The few times they're there, they make content significantly easier.

Really, the Clerics remind you of Paladins? Sounds more like your regular, oppressive, tech-hoarding cult to me.

Zephyr said they're Paladins in the post above. I know nothing else about them. :)

Back
Top Bottom