ELEX - The Ruins

The flop is real.

PB has never let me down and I've always loved their games, even Gothic 3 (I'm clearly in the minority). I'm still a little concerned, since it's such a big departure from their previous settings. Guess they felt like they needed a change as developers. :fingerscrossed:

I'm still a little concerned, since it's such a big departure from their previous settings. Guess they felt like they needed a change as developers. :fingerscrossed:

I'm looking forward to the new setting. As much as I love PB's fantasy worlds, it was past due for them to try something different.

PB has never let me down and I've always loved their games, even Gothic 3 (I'm clearly in the minority). I'm still a little concerned, since it's such a big departure from their previous settings. Guess they felt like they needed a change as developers. :fingerscrossed:

Feel the same way except I'm not concerned about this departure - I'm excited :)

[obligatory 'D1P for me' post]

I'm looking forward to the new setting. As much as I love PB's fantasy worlds, it was past due for them to try something different.

Not sure this is very different :/

I'm expecting a very good Piranha Bytes game in an interesting, different setting. I don't see them abandoning the principles they used in the Risen series or the Gothic series before that, and I don't think anyone wants them to. Angry Joe will still probably give the game a bad review, there will be memes for awhile and the game won't get great reviews, but it will be a good or even very good Piranha Bytes game. That's what my crystal ball says, and while I certainly hope they get great reviews and the game is well-received, we shall see.

It will be a good HP-bloat simulator, hacking your way through the game, using 2 sword attacks until the end. Impressive

I don't care if it uses one sword attack the whole game. :) It will have mutually exclusive factions, great exploration, hand-placed everything from loot to combat encounters, stat-based character building with impacting choices, organic dialogue with choices and less hand-holding than most other modern RPGs. That's good enough for me to check it out and enjoy it as a change of pace.

I have no problem with them doing something other than fantasy but I would have preferred if they would have focused on a more unique self-made scifi/postapoc setting instead of trying to copy all these other themes and mix them together in a weird way.

How is this setting not self-made? I haven't seen anything that looks this unique in a long time.

How is this setting not self-made? I haven't seen anything that looks this unique in a long time.

Agreed.

If ELEX is not considered unique, then what RPGs are you playing? Please share, because this looks like a one-of-a-kind setting so far, certainly much different than any other RPG I've seen.

I don't care if it uses one sword attack the whole game.

Nice standard.

Nice ignoring the rest of my post. If I have to spell it out for you: I don't mind if one element in an RPG isn't that great if there are 10 other elements that I enjoy. Especially if those elements aren't done in other RPGs, which is the case here.

I think that Moriendor wanted to say that mix very different elements together does make it somehow different, but it doesnt make it automatically really unique or convincing.

I dont say I agree with him but I can see possible problem here. We dont have the whole picture so if we see those different elements on screens - from melee warriors to mechs - at first it look like strange hybrid. But we dont know the whole world and its still not finished so… we will see.

Uh, okay. That's a whole lot of pessimistic presumptions based on very little we've seen. But have fun with that. :)

Graphics so bad they could easily port to the Switch.

and people went "Fallout!", "Mass Effect!", "Mad Max!", "Equilibrium!", "MechWarrior!" and then they decided to simply do it all and in a very derivative way plus throw in some fantasy to not alienate their old fans too much (to play it safe).

What do we want?

giphy.gif

Eclectic!
Lavishing!
Exhilirating!
Xenial!

Well, the backstory is a clone of Equilibrium, a scifi movie from 2002. The Albs and Elex as a drug are clearly a nearly straight copy&paste job of elements from that movie.
The Outlaws are 100% "inspired" by Mad Max with their home in the desert, their outfits and how they build weapons, armor etc. from scrap parts.
The mechs look like copy&paste from FASA (MechWarrior). I'm almost a little surprised that no one has knocked on PB's door yet.
Some of the armor designs are very reminiscent of stuff you find in Fallout and the Mass Effects and the Norse looking berserkers could be straight from Skyrim.

Overall this seems a little too random to me… like they had a design meeting and everyone was allowed a free wish which theme they would like to have in the game

And the art direction is also a rip off Shanara

ss_62643cc5dca08022d2882317cdc2d66f289d5232.1920x1080.jpg

o5mIuni.jpg

WLLGPpd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom