ELEX - Website online

With games like Dark souls/Bloodborne showing how good combat design can be, it will be painfully obvious if Elex has clunky combat.
I agree somewhat but personally I don't want more games to have combat like Dark Souls. Yes I know an unpopular opinion as most gamers praise the Dark Soul games.

I definitely don't want Souls style combat, but I'm up for maybe something different or more like Risen 1.

Or how about Xenoblade Chronicles combat? 😁

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

I agree somewhat but personally I don't want more games to have combat like Dark Souls. Yes I know an unpopular opinion as most gamers praise the Dark Soul games.

You'll notice that once someone overcomes the learning curve with the Souls games they talk about how it's not really hard, but punishing. Every encounter requires your attention because one mistake and it's a full restart. I don't want the respawn mechanic per se, but I do want my fights to be more than a momentary impediment to my progress. Can you really deny that the mechanics of the Souls games shouldn't be at least studied when making your combat system?

Plenty of different ideas to go around, IMO. Not all game need the same systems.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your hard work with the fan site...

Oops, just to avoid any misunderstandings: I'm a lazy bum! :biggrin:
I have absolutely no association with the folks from WoE. I just posted some of the links I found on their forums and website.

All credit are belong to World of ELEX! :biggrin:

Oops, just to avoid any misunderstandings: I'm a lazy bum! :biggrin:
I have absolutely no association with the folks from WoE. I just posted some of the links I found on their forums and website.

All credit are belong to World of ELEX! :biggrin:
My apologizes as it sounded like you did.:blush:
Can you really deny that the mechanics of the Souls games shouldn't be at least studied when making your combat system?
It depends as I don't want ultra realistic combat where I get killed with one, or two hits.

The "mood trailer" is now also available in a HD version by the way.

Looks good so far overall, but there are a couple of things I don't care for. First, some of the high-tech stuff looks a little too high-tech. Too new and shiny looking for a world recovering from an apocalypse.

The other thing that raised an eyebrow for me is at :47 of the vid when they show some old rusted-out cars in front of a building. That in itself is no big deal, but why do the cars on this distant world look like something from early 2000's America? :)

They're minor concerns though considering this is still in Alpha(?). *Edit* Ah ok.. it's actually Pre-Alpha.

There is now a fixed starting point for the player in ELEX (as opposed to being able to go to any random island in R3 from the start) and this will facilitate their intention to make the world increasingly dangerous the further you stroll from the "newbie grounds".

That sounds good as long as it's not done in too linear of a fashion. I'd like to see a return to Gothic 1&2 where there was potential death around every corner when you were starting out.

Last edited:
The other thing that raised an eyebrow for me is at :47 of the vid when they show some old rusted-out cars in front of a building. That in itself is no big deal, but why do the cars on this distant world look like something from early 2000's America? :)

I believe that the pre-apoc world is modeled after our real world (as we can also seen from the familiar looking power lines, highways etc.).
There will also be flashbacks (uncertain whether it's just cutscenes or playable segments) to the world before the apocalypse during the course of the game so the player will learn what the world was like before the asteroid impact.

That sounds good as long as it's not done in too linear of a fashion. I'd like to see a return to Gothic 1&2 where there was potential death around every corner when you were starting out.

It shouldn't be too linear. That is just the general concept. The broader scope (the way I understood it from what Jenny from PB said) is to have a world that, on the one hand, gets increasingly dangerous the more you stroll from the newbie grounds, and on the other hand, you'll have dangerous high level "hot spots" throughout the world, i.e. areas (like a monster lair or an area guarded by a high tech mech or whatever) that are only intended for high level characters.

Exploration should be fairly unlimited thanks to the jetpack. You can fly between 20ft and 30ft high for approximately 5 to 10 seconds at a time (and then again after a short cooldown).

Some areas are supposed to be gated via natural barriers or high walls due to story reasons but you are supposed to be able to explore just about everywhere from the start (if you can avoid getting eaten or shot down by a FLAK mech ;) ).

I believe that the pre-apoc world is modeled after our real world (as we can also seen from the familiar looking power lines, highways etc.).

That's an interesting decision on their part, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I thought the world was going to be a little more alien than that, and I think that's what I'd prefer, but I also think it's too early to judge at this point.

Seeing stuff like that in a PB game is jarring to me, but I guess that's probably because I've been a fan for so long that the change is difficult to digest.

As for the new and shiny stuff: It's my impression that, unlike in Fallout, new technology is still being developed. It's not just salvaged. Both the Albs and the Clerics rely on technology to further their goals (albeit different types of technology).

Back
Top Bottom