ELEX - What is an Open World Game?

Machine translation sux.
Autotranslation sux.

Here's hope someone from world of elex will made proper subtitles and upload them.

I'm pretty sure most of us know what an open-world game is by now. Elex was excellent in that aspect.

Totally agree, you could probably play the game and avoid most of the towns/cities for quite a while, just romping along and having a blast. The exploration factor is high in this one.

Yes, the verticality opens up a whole other dimension during exploration. The open world and exploration are the strong point of the game. The mix of scifi and fantasy is not.

The mix of scifi and fantasy is not.
It's better than another medieval or pirate setting. I'm gald the game sold so well, and a sequel is the works. Though I would also love to play another Gothic or Risen game.

You sure the video is only about Elex?

I would rephrase the question into this: What makes an open-world fun?

Y'see open world games are dime a dozen nowadays, and frankly, just a selected few are actually worth bothering.
Meself found three big recurring errors in todays OW games flood:

Realistic, yet still boring (AC: Origins, etc).
Wonderful to look at, but great looks can get very natural in the eyes in about … hmmm… 10 minutes.

Full of stuff, yet still boring (Witcher 3, etc).
I just hate when my character is the only capable fixer of everyone's personal problems. Living-breathing my ass.

Diverse, yet still boring (Horizon, etc).
You've got the obligatory snowy part, the jungle part, the lava part, the swamp part, etc. Videogame world design 101.

IMHO the best OW games have just one thing that stands head and shoulders above all the benefits of the aforementioned world designs: character.
Sadly, this is where Elex is lacking as well.

Oh, and one thing: before I'm gonna be crucified in a nice flame war, please mind that I criticize the world design and not the game.

Realistic, yet still boring (AC: Origins, etc).
Wonderful to look at, but great looks can get very natural in the eyes in about … hmmm… 10 minutes.
Too much realism can be a problem, agreed.

Full of stuff, yet still boring (Witcher 3, etc).
I just hate when my character is the only capable fixer of everyone's personal problems. Living-breathing my ass.
This is not so clear to me. Too much adventure / quests? Meaningless quests?
My issue with the OW of Witcher 3 was rather that there were little surprises, at some point everything was visible on the map even before going there. I'd rather stumble upon adventure than have it nearly all posted on some notice board. And the random treasure to be found now and then was pretty much irrelevant. So there was little incentive to wander about.
But I certainly liked fixing peoples problems. Mostly, those were interesting problems. Not all quests were great, but still leagues ahead of the competition. And the world felt considerably more alive then most other games in this field, too.

Diverse, yet still boring (Horizon, etc).
You've got the obligatory snowy part, the jungle part, the lava part, the swamp part, etc. Videogame world design 101.
Now that made me think of ELEX again. And its kind of true.
Actually, I dont think the problem is to have these different biomes. The problem is to integrate them into your world in a natural way. At least, ELEX tried to have some excuses for why they had all these different climates so close to each other (aliens/magix/elex/whatever). It still felt odd. But at least, exploring the world was interesting.

IMHO the best OW games have just one thing that stands head and shoulders above all the benefits of the aforementioned world designs: character.
Can you elaborate on that, or give an example?

Can you elaborate on that, or give an example?

I'm sure I'm gonna be skinned alive for this, but whatever.
Here it goes:

Xenoblade X - Characteristic: Alien
Zelda Breath of the Wild - Characteristic: Adventurous
Ultima 7 pt2 - Characteristic: Logical
Morrowind - Characteristic: Mysterious
Magic Candle I - Characteristic: Epic

There may be more, but I'm too tired and lazy to think.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be crucified in a nice flame war, please mind that I criticize the world design and not the game.
I'm sure I'm gonna be skinned alive for this
Not gonna happen. You dislike almost all openworlds you played and that's fine.
Maybe there is an openworld type you'd adore - for example, played Yakuza 0? Neither did I, it's still console exclusive. Sadly.

btw, except Morrowind, I've never heard about games you listed. Oh sorry, Ultima is there…

Maybe there is an openworld type you'd adore - for example, played Yakuza 0? Neither did I, it's still console exclusive. Sadly.
Heh, I'm a great fan of the Yakuza games, have all of'em in my vast gaming library.

In terms of a good urban open world, I was torn between GTA:Vice City and GTA V, but eventually got tired to include any.

btw, except Morrowind, I've never heard about games you listed. Oh sorry, Ultima is there…
I'm surprised you don't know Zelda BoW (a pinnacle of modern gaming) or Magic Candle (a pinnacle of classic gaming).

Can only repeat what JDR wrote: "Everyone has their right to an opinion.. even the odd ones."

Never played Vice City, saw some screenshots, phonegame visuals = get off my property.
About GTA 5 I've already said I can't understand worldwide "love" for it. It's mediocre racing rubbish with horrible helicopter ontrols and bald tyres and there is no way I'll buy another GTA game ever again.

Never heard about any Zelda. Modern gaming? LOL did you steal my drugs? :D
Magic Candle… Nah, sorry, no, despite tremendeous effort can't remember such title. If I did play it, there was nothing to remember it for.

Never played ...
Never heard of...
can't remember...

What's fascinating in your posts is the total and utter dismissal of things you don't like.
Fair enough.
But living under a rock and screaming visceral opinions on something that you admittedly know nothing about -- well, personally, I'm a big fan of your lunacy, so keep'em comin'! ;)

Magic Candle came out before Joxer was born :) There were 3 of them and even a spinoff called Keys to Maramon.

Magic Candle was a damn fine series, I think these were out maybe around the time the goldbox games were going strong, and maybe just a bit before Krondor exploded on the scene. Pretty sure I found out about the game from reading The Dragon magazine, which I had a subscription to for like, uhm, always.

Back
Top Bottom