Expeditions: Rome - DevDiary #11 - Voice-Overs

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Logic Artists have posted a new diary on voice acting in Expeditions: Rome.

DevDiary 11 - Voice-Overs

Ave! Our music event that launched two weeks ago is still ongoing, and since we're all in an auditory mood already, we thought it would be good to stay in that general area by delving into the topic of actors and directors of voice-over.

It's no secret that roleplaying games tend to be on the verbose side. Though we here at Logic Artists have always prided ourselves on writing more concise and less waffling dialogue than our competitors, our games have always been long and heavily story-based, so inevitably our dialogue word count always ends up in the hundreds of thousands. As an independent game studio, the cost of recording that much dialogue is prohibitive, and so the best we could do on Viking was to record combat one-liners and a few very select lines of dialogue to set the tone for each major character.

Thus you may be able to imagine how overjoyed we were when THQ Nordic rolled in and told us to go ahead and record every single word of dialogue for Expeditions: Rome. Now, on Rome we have made a concerted effort to keep the dialogue even more concise and punchy than before - we've almost eliminated use of narrator text during dialogue, and worked hard to put as much of the actual actions of what's happening in the scene into the actual game world, so you can see characters move and animate instead of having it described to you. Even so, Rome is the largest game we've ever made by a pretty large margin, and so we still ended up with over 300,000 words of dialogue.

02_lhYImgLMfH.jpg.2ba36fbc03e5584ad0aa7923142b867d.jpg

[...]
More information.

Look at that proper voice-overs and in English it's a miracle.:cool:

Yep I'm being a smart-ass because of another thread.:p

Sounds like the release date just got pushed one year into the future :lol:

Oops, I did it again. There, added the link to the entire article. :)

Yeah, I'd like to know when they plan to release the game too.

They really give a lot of information in their diaries, I really appreciate that they're taking the time to do that. And it's mostly what they've already done; perhaps it stands for the user guide? ;)

They really give a lot of information in their diaries, I really appreciate that they're taking the time to do that. And it's mostly what they've already done; perhaps it stands for the user guide? ;)

Yeah, a great studio making great games. My main complaint is that they seem to do unintentional early access every time they release a game. The games are apparently so bugged that you'd better wait a year before playing them. I hope they'd take a year longer this time and make it right from day 1, although I do have the patience to wait.

Yeah, a great studio making great games. My main complaint is that they seem to do unintentional early access every time they release a game. The games are apparently so bugged that you'd better wait a year before playing them. I hope they'd take a year longer this time and make it right from day 1, although I do have the patience to wait.
Ouch, good to know! I haven't played any of their games but I was interested by this one.

I'll probably wait for feedback first.

My main complaint is that they seem to do unintentional early access every time they release a game.
UEA - that should be new term.
"Yeah, the released the game last weak, but it's in UEA."
:D

They sold me on the success of their previous games, and yeah, they do a great job of keeping the audience informed of progress, literally every step of the way. Treat yourself to the prior two games if you've not already played them, you'll be pleased that you did!

They sold me on the success of their previous games,
Well yeah, but for me personally the tendency was wrong. I liked Conquistador better than Vikings.

As did I, Morrandir. Conquistador just hit me in all the right ways. I enjoyed the Dane game, though I've yet to replay that one. The first one I've replayed twice to date.

I'm the opposite once again. I couldn't even finish Conquistador. Yet I replayed Vikings over five times and enjoyed it more. Mostly due to the changes from Conquistador.

I'm the opposite once again.
I don't think you're the odd one out. Our sample size here is just too small. ;)
The ratings of the tow games (Steam, Metacritics) are almost the same.

Back
Top Bottom