Expeditions: Rome - Review @ The Escapist

£44.99 eh? Inflation sucks I guess. Also definitely calls it a strategy game, if that's relevant.

It's showing at £37 without discount for me.
With pre-order discount it's £29.59.

I think he's wrong.

Maybe that was the US dollars amount? I dunno tho, he sounded UK to me, though it could just be a mild US accent.

It's also on GOG for 35.99 € (here).

He said it was a 31 hour game that felt like it had too much content. So what do people normally pay for a turn-based tactics game of that kind of length and content? Is it a top-end game or average or relatively cheap or what?

Maybe that was the US dollars amount? I dunno tho, he sounded UK to me, though it could just be a mild US accent.

That's probably right.

He said it was a 31 hour game that felt like it had too much content. So what do people normally pay for a turn-based tactics game of that kind of length and content? Is it a top-end game or average or relatively cheap or what?

I never know in advance how long I'll be playing a game for so the total length of the game is mostly irrelevant. I tend to look at previous games by the same devs and the gameplay and atmosphere first of all for making my decisions. Then impressions from fellow Watchers probably comes second.

For me, I enjoyed both Expeditions games that came out previously. The only nag I had was playing Vikings before the major patches came out and had a gamebreaking bug, so I never finished it.
For these reasons, I'm likely to grab this, unless there are too many negative Watcher impressions. Current price is reasonable for me even without the discount.

Aye, that Vikings game was rather rough when it first released, pretty sure I shelved it for a bit before going back to finish. That's going to inform my choice on this one as well, I'll be getting it yet doesn't need to be a first day affair.

Having said that, both prior games are excellent, and if you've not played them, you really should think about it!

Last week I started Expeditions marathon.
Conquistador was great, I even like that mechanics more than Vikings.
I am now half way through Vikings.
I can't wait to finish and start Rome.

Last week I started Expeditions marathon.
Conquistador was great, I even like that mechanics more than Vikings.
I am now half way through Vikings.
I can't wait to finish and start Rome.

I'm waayyy slower than you. :D I started Viking 3 weeks ago for the first time because I really liked what I saw with the Rome demo, but I don't think I'm halfway yet. So far I like it a lot.

I'm waayyy slower than you. :D I started Viking 3 weeks ago for the first time because I really liked what I saw with the Rome demo, but I don't think I'm halfway yet. So far I like it a lot.

Wife thinks she has covid so I have to be self isolated and work from home.
So I have to use that best I can. :)
I already played both games, so I know what to do and go trough it much faster than first time.

Only thing I hated about Conquistador was camera that was fixed on my champion.
On Vikings they just unnecessary complicated some things like camping and even character skills. I feel like I had more freedom creating followers in first game even if that really isn't truth.

Nothing wrong with taking your time to approaching games these days, as they often take a year or more from release to actually stabilize. I've gotten burned a few times by not heeding my own advise a time or three!

Back
Top Bottom