Fextralife - This Week in RPGs

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Fextralife summarizes last week's RPG news:

NEW Lord of the Rings MMO Announced, Hogwarts Legacy for Switch Delayed - Top RPG News May 21, 2023

0:00 - Top RPG News of the Week
0:04 - Hogwarts Legacy Switch Delayed
1:16 - Lord of the Rings MMO Announced
3:08 - Diablo 4 Smooth Launch
4:38 - PC Gaming Show / Summer Game Fest 2023
5:45 - PlayStation Showcase 2023
6:42 - Genshin Impact Update 3.7
8:17 - Wild Hearts May Update
9:38 - Lords of the Fallen Release Date and Gameplay
More information.

OMG, I cannot believe we cannot get a proper, deep, single-player RPG LotR game. Arguably the richest IP in existence and we continue to get MMOs, action/adventure games, RTSs and card battlers and mobile games.

Edit: not that there isn't anything bad with having those other genres represented. I just can't fathom the omission of doing a deep, story-based, open-world, single-player RPG. Are people too afraid/unwilling to weave that into the existing canon?

OMG, I cannot believe we cannot get a proper, deep, single-player RPG LotR game. Arguably the richest IP in existence and we continue to get MMOs, action/adventure games, RTSs and card battlers and mobile games.
There are a few other IPs I've thought the same thing about. Dune, GoT, H.P. Lovecraft, Doctor Who. It seems like some of the settings with the greatest potential are being ignored.

I'd take those over LotR tbh. I have a deep love for Tolkien, but the setting has been beaten to death by New Line Cinema, Amazon, etc, to the point where I'm pretty much burned out on it.

There are a few other IPs I've thought the same thing about. Dune, GoT, H.P. Lovecraft, Doctor Who. It seems like some of the settings with the greatest potential are being ignored.

I'd take those over LotR tbh. I have a deep love for Tolkien, but the setting has been beaten to death by New Line Cinema, Amazon, etc, to the point where I'm pretty much burned out on it.
I'll never tire of LotR stuff but agree other IPs have been neglected as well.

I had a great deal of fun with some of the earlier titles from Lord of the Rings video games back in the eighties and nineties. The Hobbit kept me entertained on and off for several years, I think that was for the Commodore.

Back
Top Bottom