Final Fantasy VII

I've been playing for about 25 hours now. So far, so good! Well, mostly good.

As noted in many places, they got really cheap on the port. You don't even hit ESC to bring the main menu up, for pity's sake! The graphic options are pathetic, too. (There's a mod that lets you unlock UE4 engine settings that's helped with that but finding out how to deal with all those settings is NOT easy. Maybe somebody will make an engine.ini-maker for the game?)

The side quests are kinda weak, too. The monsters you fight in most of them are interesting enough, but the areas you go to aren't, and the stories behind them aren't even close. There was even a go-hunt-the-rats quest early on. These probably should have been left out of the game completely.

But the nostalgia factor… wow. I really loved the original game. I played it all the way through a few times and started it without finishing even more. Being able to walk around in those places in full 3D with fully orchestrated music is incredible. Walking around a corner and seeing Aeris standing there as her music started playing rooted me to that spot for a couple of minutes. (Then I turned around and went the other way. I know how Square plays it. Sure enough, there was a materia waiting there - which they wouldn't let me get to it yet.)

The materia system is working as well as ever, too. There's a little difference in that summon materia get special slots and can only be used in certain battles, but otherwise it's the same thing as before. Handling of materia is better, too. If you get separated from a character, their materia doesn't vanish with them until they return. Best of all, there's a lot of materia types - way more than you can slot. That should help replay value a lot.

All in all, the game has me hooked.

Good to read your thoughts on the game, Zloth. I do look forward to playing it once all the episodes are fully out, patched and whatnot. After just finishing all six of the pixel remaster games, seven is beckoning.

I sure hope part 3 doesn't take as long as part 2! It really shouldn't, given the lack of pandemic, but you never know.

Can I get a ruling from the ISO in charge of mini-game nomenclature?
Is that a rhythm game or a series of QTEs!?

(OK, so I mostly just want to double-check clips on the new software. It's still a valid question!)

Fans of the previous game will find the gameplay action to be reminiscent, and as expected, visually stunning. Notably, new party members such as Red make their debut, adding to the excitement.However, there is a slight disappointment as the release date for Rebirth has been pushed from winter 2023 to early 2024. Nevertheless, the game will be released on two discs, hinting at a substantial experience awaiting players.

2024, plus another year to show up on PC, plus another six months to show up on Steam. Ouch.

No idea what's going on at the very start of the trailer. I'm guessing it's some sort of fake-out (somebody dreaming about what could happen, some prophesy that could happen, what would have happened if the fans... I mean the dark spirit things hadn't kept them semi-close to the original plot, or whatever).

Yeah and probably five more years before the trilogy is complete, but not on the PC. Don't worry though as the Square fan-base loves being milked, and waiting for PC versions.

Really the FF7 redo is 1Tb? That's not looking serious.

Really the FF7 redo is 1Tb? That's not looking serious.
So did you read the link or just assume. As the title is a joke. It's a rant about wasting more years for a complete version, and each game being over 100 GB+ for textures.

Bigger games just mean I reach the cap faster even though the ISPs claim it's unlimited.

Comcast sucks. I hate them and were stuck with them as the alternative is..oh wait there isn't an alternative. So start god damn compressing games again. They wont though.

Last edited:
2024, plus another year to show up on PC, plus another six months to show up on Steam. Ouch.
Yeah, it's sort of a joke at this point. By the time the next installment is released, you'll have forgotten a lot of what happened in the previous one.

I'll play it someday after I purchase the complete edition in 2030.

Back
Top Bottom