Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests - XenForo 2.2

Does linking the image or copying it add to the host storage? Or is it mostly when you just upload to the forum and post. Just curious as I sometimes use images with news-posts.

It depends, the XF editor might also upload it if you copy/paste the image directly, not 100% sure about that. If you can think of some example posts you can link them and I can check (if you try editing the post with BB code disabled, you'll see whether the image is just embedded from another site (linked) or actually uploaded to the Watch server.

It's not a need but a QoL feature, it's way easier to copy/paste small images that having to go through the procedure of hosting it elsewhere where it will be forgotten after a while and show threads full of error images.

Is disk space still a concern these days? I have no idea of the current consumption. Maybe a max size per image, a quota per number of posts for users, and/or per sub-forum?

It's mostly a concern because we're operating on server-grade SSD drives and they get pricey for larger sizes. It doesn't help that RPGDot alone is something like 80+ gigs IIRC, so the Watch is actually a smaller part of the overall disk usage. The plan is to move all the static files to a CDN at some point in the future as that's the most sensible option, but that comes with its own set of issues in terms of setup, backup, a separate CDN bill to pay every month and so on. Maybe in the next couple of months I'll have the time to look into this more. I'm still swamped in RL with projects that I need to finish first. I haven't even set up any ads here yet or anything so yea, the to-do's pretty long.

This bug is back. I haven't had it for one month.

Am I seriously the only one seeing this?
I noticed the last few days that the ".../unread" was not working all the time, and sometimes lead to the first post of the thread instead of the first unread one.

At first I thought it was only old threads from the previous server that I hadn't visited yet, but apparently not. For instance I've just had this with Personal things you don't need to know that I visited a few weeks ago (last post before the update was July 31st).

Funny thing, after reading the last posts, the link works again!

Was there an update or a move that reset users' last visited posts in some threads only? And anyone else noticed that too?

I click on dozens of the "/unread" links everyday (from the "New posts" page), and I've never seen it not work properly.

Strange. Maybe I'm visiting the site more often, or more threads, and it breaks more quickly? Maybe too much info stored somewhere? I haven't tried to understand how the history was managed.

I suppose the last visited posts are stored in the DB, not in a cookie which would be bad when using several browsers, and just awkward as a client-server interaction model. So if that's true there's nothing I can check on my side. If they store that in a text field that is limited in length, that would do it.

I seem to recall in another BB that the DB had one row per thread and user, to store that info. So there was no limitation but it was a lot of rows in that small table. On the other hand, loading a big chunk of text each time the page is displayed seems like a performance hog, so if I had to do it, I'd stick to the row/thread/user.

I only had that in one thread today, but that's how it started last time: a few rare occurrences then it became general.

Yeah, it's definitely stored on the server side. Because I switch between 3-4 different devices, and my last read is always tracked properly. The browsers I use are Firefox on Windows/Linux and Safari on iOS.

I haven't really noticed that problem as I rarely check out the new post link. I usually just read what I want to, and when I'm done click the read all button to clear them all.

@Redglyph Do you sometimes open the page twice - e.g. once through the notifications and once through the New Posts ?
If you open it twice, the second time will have assumed you've gone to the newest post already and go to first page.

That's how it happens to me. Otherwise it works.

@Redglyph Do you sometimes open the page twice - e.g. once through the notifications and once through the New Posts ?
If you open it twice, the second time will have assumed you've gone to the newest post already and go to first page.

That's how it happens to me. Otherwise it works.
No, it's when the thread is bold and the URL ends with "/unread". Actually, when it fails and opens the first page, if I go back and open it again (still with "/unread"), the 2nd time it works and jumps to the first unread post.

Which seems to contradict my theory of a messed-up DB record. Hmm. 🧐

There's still a very old bug that inserts a superfluous CR/LF before every list when a newsbit is translated to the forum post.

headline
  • item #1
  • item #2
is translated to

headline

• item #1
  • item #2
that looks ugly.

For example...

There's no preview with a small thumbnail and description like before. It's just the link now.

I've seen it happen a few more times as well but it's more random now. At first I thought it was a new change to save on bandwidth but later realized it's an error. So thank you.

Back
Top Bottom