Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests - XenForo 2.2

It shouldn't be happening any more, but if you notice it somewhere, let me know so I can check it out.
It happens mostly when you start a thread otherwise it works as intended.

My latest thread.
I haven't tried to re-link it except for a couple of times it worked before I hit post thread.

Last edited:
It's an issue with the site you linked. Unfurling does work partially; the link changes to the page title, but nothing beyond that is added to the thread. It behaves the same on the official XF2 forums, I just tested it there. There are probably certain requirements that need to be met for the full unfurling to happen that that site does not meet. I'm going to check with the XF devs on this too.

As I expected:

The unfurl is totally dependent on the source site - nothing in XF can control that.

In this case the page doesn't contain the relevant meta property content.
You can use this checker to confirm that: http://debug.iframely.com/

Not XenForo related, but...on the front news page, when clicking on the "Indie" tab at the top, it actually takes me to a page that's titled "GothicWatch"? With a selection of newsbits that seems rather random.

I dont know if its just me but since yesterday, every time i come on the site it loads the dark skin at the start for less than half of second, then it goes to light which is my chosen one.

I dont know if its just me but since yesterday, every time i come on the site it loads the dark skin at the start for less than half of second, then it goes to light which is my chosen one.
Same here.

The flickering happened to me too and even with colors reversed. Maybe browsers became quicker and render everything earlier than before. I moved the styleswitcher script to the top of the page and that seems to have fixed this particular issue.

The "/unread" bug is starting to act again. It's quite regular, so again I'm wondering if that's something that overflows in the database. Or maybe it's a timeout, since often a second click often makes it.

I've still never seen it, even though I click on the /unread links many times everyday...

You said something about a timeout and second click. Could it be that your first request to load the page isn't completing fully/properly, but enough to where it marks you as having read the new post(s)? So the second time you try to hit the link, it takes you to the first page?

My theory is that it happens with threads that existed before the move, got new posts after the move, but which you have never opened after the move. Maybe Xenforo thinks it's all new for you. If that's the case I suppose it will sort itself out over time. If not, we need ways to reproduce it.

So, for me just now, the "unread" jump worked fine for Couch's news thread and didn't work for the Birthday Thread (which I'm fairly sure I haven't visited in a long time).

Last edited:
You said something about a timeout and second click. Could it be that your first request to load the page isn't completing fully/properly, but enough to where it marks you as having read the new post(s)? So the second time you try to hit the link, it takes you to the first page?
The first time I click, it brings me to the first post, disregarding the /unread. If I go back and click again (so on the same URL with /unread), it brings me to the last post. Perhaps it would do the same by reloading, I haven't tried.
This "workaround" works maybe half of the time or more once this problem intensifies.

I don't think it's a timeout but I don't exclude anything, by default of knowing how it works. Perhaps the specific response to /unread has a built-in timeout and produces the first post when it triggers (though I don't see why they would bother to do that). Then perhaps the 2nd time I try to open the same URL, it doesn't do a time-out because the "last read" data may be cached. It's very far-stretched.
My theory is that it happens with threads that existed before the move, got new posts after the move, but which you have never opened after the move. If that's the case I suppose it will sort itself out over time. If not, we need ways to reproduce it.

So, for me just now, the "unread" jump worked fine for Couch's news thread and didn't work for the Birthday Thread (which I'm fairly sure I haven't visited in a long time).
No, those are threads I visit regularly. But you're right, I had that with a few threads right after we moved and it was fixed by marking the forums as read. The two problems might actually be the same, but I have no insight on how the unread posts are managed, so I honestly don't know.

This problem I have comes back every month or so, then intensifies with time to the point almost all threads fail to open correctly. Marking the forums as read resets the cycle.

I don't think it's a timeout but I don't exclude anything, by default of knowing how it works. Perhaps the specific response to /unread has a built-in timeout and produces the first post when it triggers (though I don't see why they would bother to do that). Then perhaps the 2nd time I try to open the same URL, it doesn't do a time-out because the "last read" data may be cached. It's very far-stretched.
I found this:

Could this be related? The way I understand it, when you go to a thread with "/unread" and the first unread post is actually older than 30 days, Xenforo doesn't know about it anymore and takes you to the first post...? Very strange, but could that explain your cases?

I changed the value to 60 and we'll see if it helps.

For reference: Setup->Options->Threads, discussions and conversations -> Read marking data lifetime. "This is the number of days to maintain read marking data (such as for threads and forums). Data older than this will always be seen as read."

I found this:

Could this be related? The way I understand it, when you go to a thread with "/unread" and the first unread post is actually older than 30 days, Xenforo doesn't know about it anymore and takes you to the first post...? Very strange, but could that explain your cases?

I changed the value to 60 and we'll see if it helps.

For reference: Setup->Options->Threads, discussions and conversations -> Read marking data lifetime. "This is the number of days to maintain read marking data (such as for threads and forums). Data older than this will always be seen as read."
Thanks! We'll see.

It may be part of the problem. It matches what I saw today: Russian Game Developers & Ukraine Crisis, previous post was Aug 27th, and a previous time (I don't remember where I saw it yesterday).

It would explain the success of the 2nd attempt with the same URL.

But after a while, it did that for many other threads that I had visited the day before or a few days before. Could it be that the date used to calculate this 30-day delay is erroneously based on the first time the users read the thread, and not the last post they visited? That would explain why the problem is completely silent for one month then starts sprouting everywhere.

EDIT: and why is the thread in bold, if the "last post" information has been erased? It probably means the engine will take the last visit of the forum as reference. IMO it would be better if the engine redirected to this last post instead of giving up and showing the first post. So even if that is the explanation, there is a bug.

Wait, it's not exactly what you said, it's actually more complicated than that, cfr your link:
This is related to the "Read marking data lifetime" option. Anything older than that is automatically considered to be read. Even if you've never read anything in a thread, clicking that link will jump you to the first post after that time.
That is something else. In my experience it jumps to the first post of the thread, not a post that is more recent than 30 days ago.

And there he goes on with the part that looked similar, except the end:
(If we have no knowledge of whether you've read a thread, we hedge our bets and take you to the beginning of the thread. It's possible you may have read it but the data has been cleaned up, so that link roughly helps to jump you to a more recent point.)
I can say without any hesitation that I have never seen this behaviour.

EDIT: Counter-example, I just had it in this thread that I watched earlier today: https://rpgwatch.com/forum/threads/good-monitors.49593/

I realize that I cannot test a reload because the URL has been redirected to the first page. I need to look more carefully at the redirect URL the next few times it happens.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my [chrome] browser also flickers for an instant upon first loading the homepage. This first started happening when the default color scheme was made Dark (and I use Light). It's a very slight flicker in the first milliseconds of loading the page and not *too* annoying, but I thought I'd add to the commentary on this issue. Cookies have been reset several times since the issue began.

I think I understand one bug that was reported a few months ago, about the page sometimes scrolling to the wrong position when the URL targets a specific post (perhaps on some browsers like the Chrome family only).

For example:

It's not 100% reproducible, I would say it fails to work correctly at least half the time.

Instead of scrolling to the right post, it falls in the middle of the previous one, because it's expanded as a subreddit media. I suppose it's unavoidable.

Back
Top Bottom