Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
RelFFQD.jpg

spambot

Yep he's a bot alright I got five messages from him myself. Deleted them all.

RPGWatch RSS news feed is broken for some time now, since it doesn't properly escape '&' character. Can you please fix it?
Like,
Code:
<title>Non-RPG General News - Aquanox: Deep Descent – Review</title>
etc
should actually be (or any other escape prevention or different escape solution)
Code:
<title>Non-RPG General News - Aquanox: Deep Descent &ndash; Review</title>
thanks

Banned the spambot. Will check the RSS

You can logout again. Didn’t have time to really fix it, so had to take a bit of a drastic measure for that. Will fix it better later.

As to the support for all kinds of characters, I have not figured that out yet. I have 3 configurations, this one for RPGWatch, one that is supposed to be an exact clone on this same server, used for testing and one locally on the PC I develop on and which is the source of all the code we are running here. All 3 have a different behavior and the only one that really works as it should is the one on my PC. I’m limited on time now, so I hope to be able to fix it in the weekend.

I seem to be getting the issue where my apostrophes are converted into hieroglyphs, but only when posting a reply. Which is curious.

Well I haven’t figured it out yet. I copied the database from RPGWatch to our clone site and my local configuration. I have the same behavior on RPGWatch and the clone site, but not on the local site. There it works. I copied all my local forum files to the clone site to rule out that and it makes no difference. So I suppose it is a configuration of the server that causes this, but as I said, I have not found it yet.

No worries. Just bug hunting on the new setup.

Yeah that's been happening since the move to the new server. I remember you looked into it last week when it was mentioned. I usually just edit my posts and reply's.

Not a big issue though just a time waster.:)

For those seeing errors in the next couple of minutes after this post...that should be correct.

Disabled messaging for a certain type of users. I hope that helps.

I suddenly can't post any images using the insert image function. Is that disabled at the moment?

*Edit* False alarm. It won't allow me to post an image from Reddit, but others are fine.

Last edited:
Is anybody else seeing high-bit-set-ASCII characters showing up in people's posts?

For instance, the last two lines in this post and even more when JDR13 quoted it at the start of the next page.

(I'm using the new-fangled, chromium-based Edge)

Is anybody else seeing high-bit-set-ASCII characters showing up in people's posts?

For instance, the last two lines in this post and even more when JDR13 quoted it at the start of the next page.

Old news I'm afraid to say. It's been happening since the move to the new server, and Myrthos tried to fix it as best as he could. It was a lot worse then it is now.

Yes, it happens most of the time when the forum editor translates an ellipsis (3 dots, '. . .') into a unique, non-ASCII, ellipsis character. It doesn't translate it back when editing or previewing the post , or when quoting another post (I think). What's even worse, when you quote a message with these funny characters, they propagate even further because they aren't ASCII either. Now I'm only typing two dots instead of 3 to avoid the problem :p

The joys of escape / un-escape sequences, ASCII vs Unicode vs UTF-16 and so on, is a well-known nightmare in software programming, see for example Joel Spolsky's or Jon Skeet's article on that, or ask someone who had to port Python 2 code to Python 3 ..

It also occurs when there are special non-ASCII, like the diaeresis on the 'e' in Raphael when you spell it correctly in French - I just had the problem in a post related to Arkane Studio ;)

The thing is that it is not the code nor the database that is involved here as the same code and database does not give the same problem on the previous server, nor does it for me locally.
So it has to be something external to these that causes this to happen, which boils down to some setting in Apache, Nginx, PHP or Linux. I don’t expect it to be Linux, but one never knows.
Anyway, I haven’t been able to determine what is causing this to happen and especially as some characters are fine in the text but become garbled in a quote.

The thing is that it is not the code nor the database that is involved here as the same code and database does not give the same problem on the previous server, nor does it for me locally.
So it has to be something external to these that causes this to happen, which boils down to some setting in Apache, Nginx, PHP or Linux. I don’t expect it to be Linux, but one never knows.
Anyway, I haven’t been able to determine what is causing this to happen and especially as some characters are fine in the text but become garbled in a quote.
Both Apache and PHP are good candidates, they both have settings for those characters (AddDefaultCharset, default_charset, maybe others), but I suppose it's not easy for you to compare with the old settings, or that the two versions are quite different?

Linux and Nginx, I wouldn't think so either.

It's not a huge problem though, one quickly gets used to it.

Adding Slasher's Keep to the database results in a blank page.

Adding the game without the apostrophe and later editing it works.

The new server really hates apostrophes. You have to sneak them past it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom